Are Samsung QVO SSD's good for storage?

I'm currently looking to upgrade my old 4TB traditional hard drive and migrate my storage data into a SSD and currently looking into the Samsung QVO 870 8TB. I'm aware that QVO drives are the cheaper option and once it begins to copy a file that is over 50GB it will slow down, is it that bad? I'm not planning to use this drive as a boot drive or anything extensive, is it recommend as a storage drive? There aren't many options for 8TB SSD's at the moment and 4TB isn't really enough for me.

What kind of files do you plan to put in there? Game files? Videos? Family pictures? Is it something that you don’t copy over from other storage medium frequently? If so I think it should be okay, but do invest in a good backup solution such as the western digital external drive.

Mainly pictures, music, documents, videos and some of my Steam backups, most of my single files aren't even over 10GB.

If you absolutely require 8TB in a HDD-replacement SSD, then the 870 QVO isn't bad. It is, however, quite expensive, with a retail price at around $100/TB.

Last edited:
If you absolutely require 8TB in a HDD-replacement SSD, then the 870 QVO isn't bad. It is, however, quite expensive, with a retail price at around $100/GB.

You meant per TB, not GB

Mainly pictures, music, documents, videos and some of my Steam backups, most of my single files aren't even over 10GB.
for less accessed files or steam backups really should just consider a 8TB HDD and use 1-2TB SSD for main boot drive (8TB SSD for what you just said isn't worth it really) you should keep all your stuff on the SSD and use the HDD as a backup (a backup is not moving your pictures and files onto another disk, copying it is) and an external hdd if the files are important (again copy not move)

What kind of files do you plan to put in there? Game files? Videos? Family pictures? Is it something that you don’t copy over from other storage medium frequently? If so I think it should be okay, but do invest in a good backup solution such as the western digital external drive.
LFaWolf copying to a single external back up drive is not a good backup solution. It is better than nothing, but not a very solid one, I have seen more than my share of external USB drives die randomly out of the blue and had to tell many friends and co-workers there stuff is lost forever..

LFaWolf copying to a single external back up drive is not a good backup solution. It is better than nothing, but not a very solid one, I have seen more than my share of external USB drives die randomly out of the blue and had to tell many friends and co-workers there stuff is lost forever..

I have 3 different backup copies - external WD 8TB, internal WD 8TB, Synology 4-bay NAS with 6TB each. The 1 external drive backup is the minimal solution and that is likely what 99% of the home users that do have backup will use. Having multiple backup takes time and currently most solutions are clunky and take up a lot of room, unless you go for cloud backup / auto sync, but I don't want to expose my personal data to the cloud.

If your backup drive dies, you don't lose data. You still have it in the original location. If you're moving the data to an external drive, that's not backing anything up.

LFaWolf now that is how you do it!

Blue Fox , agree, but the other issue is if you are using a USB connected drive, and you get crypto'd that drive is also getting crypto'd....heck, I have seen companies get owned because their backup solution was tied to the same domain and their main networks, with no isolation in any form (vlan/domain, nothing). Or if for some reason your computer takes a nice power surge...that USB drive could be toast as well!

i find it stupid when large companies get crypto and cant restore because backup was not isolated (garmin recant one) it's not hard to have a isolated backup server that pulls the data from the main server (the main server should never be pushing the backups as that means it can delete them) and a offsite one as well

even synology "Business for backup" supported synology devices (witch is fee) gets it right has backups as Read only and it can do Full system image backups for complete system restore

Sounds like a great solution if you want it all on an SSD. QVO’s limitations are all to do with transfers of really large files and constant copying wearing them out. The price right now for a drive that big is still fairly high though. It’s been reported that COVID has caused a huge overstock of SSDs so price should drop pretty dramatically in the next 6 months. If you can wait until then I think that’s your best bed.

I think a lot of people forget that hard drives have workload limitations too, which are considerably lower than even a QLC SSD. Both Seagate and WD rate their consumer hard drives at 55TB per year, and unlike SSDs, that's combined reads and writes. SSDs have effectively unlimited reads and are normally only rated in writes.

55TB per year is abysmal compared to even the crappiest SSDs. For example, the Samsung 870 QVO 8TB that the OP mentioned is rated for 2880TB lifetime writes, which is an order of magnitude more. Even the smaller sized drives are well ahead (2TB version is still rated for 720TB writes).

the price is really too high to justify 8TB SSD for sometimes accessed stuff

HDDs fail and not just because they have been used for 60TB per year, most of SSDs are hard pressed to even pass 20TB Written data total lifetime (read is likely double that)

To add to the ongoing discussion. Local backups are nice until you have a flood, power surge, fire or other disaster. The you are quite likely totally hosed.
I always recommend to my customers with how cheap cloud storage is now to in addition to local backup always have a cloud based backup solution. Most to the are really not that expensive. The main one I use is even a full image backup so restoring when the OS drive fails is easy and I don't have to spend hours reinstalling and recovering settings.

To the OP, from what you describe I second the previous comment. Get a smaller SSD for you OS and in use files. Get a regular Hard drive and save the money. SATA or other drives are pretty cheap these days. Shoot you could even get RAID array card and buy a bunch server drives and span them to get you larger drive. Lots of ways to store what are basically static files.

even things like crashplan/backblaze is less than £$10 a month

for his use case sound like a 1-2TB SSD (assuming large games) and 8TB HDD for the stuff he mentioned

you can buy very soon 18TB seagate ironwolf HDDS for around £/$600 (or under £200 for a 8TB WD Red Plus or seagate ironwolf) compared to 8TB SSD £700 SATA to £1300 NVME

SSDs have still got a long way to go before they can compete for raw Large storage

Back