Are Raptor buyers happy campers

I personally plan on buying a set of 2 myself for a RAID0, even tho the performance isn't much of a gain, more of the centralized storage. Heat doesn't concern me, seeing as how I'm sure my 6800U gives off more of a heat problem then any harddrive can attempt :) As for noise....eh, noise doesn't bother me. I mean, who sits on their computer with no music in the backround? I use headphones more often than not, and I have decent speakers that cover up fan noise otherwise...whisper quiet has never been one of my concerns :p

I have 2 74GB Raptors in a RAID0 configuration.

I'm extremely happy with the setup. SiI SATA controller provides 100MB/s throughput with spikes up to 140MB/s.

Heat isnt an issue for me, and my setup does not allow me to hear the hard drives at all.
IE, they are no louder than the 7200 rpm IDE drives I have in there.

mine is much louder then the Caviar, but actually runs a degree cooler

it's very fast though, I love it

I have two of the 36 GB Raptors. Both were in a RAID0 config, but since that hype is over, I moved one to a second computer. They run cool and quiet, if you ask me, and both are quickly drives.

I have 1 Gen1 36.7gb raptor; used to have 2 but I moved to a shuttle, where I needed a high capacity and a fast drive.

My next system will be filled with nothing but 73gb raptors.

I've got two of the 74gb ones. I like 'em. I can't hear them, but that's just because the fan on my radiator sounds like a jumbo-jet taking off in my room. Gotta do something about that...

I moved from a standard 7200rpm 8mb cache IDE drive to a 36gb raptor and notice a pretty substantial difference. Boot times are faster, programs install more quickly, and big programs like photoshop start very fast compared to before. I'd say if you have the money for the drive and some good cooling to make them last longer, they are definitely worth it.

Great drive, defenitely a good deal on the 74Gb at $150 (with Newegg rebate). The reads are louder than 7200 drives, but are the same idling. Naturally, they run a little hotter but remarkably much cooler than 10k SCSI counterparts. Make sure your case has good airflow, and if possible leave some space between the top and bottom of the drive. No need to get one of those cheap HD fans if you take those measures.

I can't complain too much about the noise and the heat since the fans drown both out, but it's definitely the fastest hard drive in this system or any other non-Raptor hard drive for that matter. Very expensive, but if you're interested in speed you can't do better.

I just installed my 73gb one last night, not any hotter than the 250gb it replaced and no louder as well.
Im happy !

i miss my raptors cant wait to order a new one after christmas.

I'm currently running 2 74gig Raptors in RAID 0... yeah yeah, so many people argue against RAID 0 but really, try it, you'll find that when you're moving 5 gig files around, RAID 0 REALLY helps a lot.

Anyhow, so far I'm pleased with these drives. There really doesnt seem to be much lag time. Bootup from power up to using Windows is no more then about 20 seconds and I dont really have an application or game that takes more then a few seconds to load.

Impressive drives they are.

I installed 2 Ultimate Harddrive Coolers along with it. The massive heatsink and dual fans keep both drives cool to the touch.

Go for it.

I have a pair of 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 and I'm really really happy with them. I'm looking to swap them for a pair of the 74GBs but, I'm hearing things about a bigger version of the Raptor coming sometime next year or something.

So I might wait for those, or wait for those to drop the prices of the 74GBs. I just find that dual 36GB to be too little space for me to work with for just OS, games, Apps and whatever i'm working on ie. Photoshop work, ripping and stuff.

The only thing I don't like is that when the drives power up from a turned off state, that they make a loud whine noise, but it goes away after a few mins after it spins up. But that's really nothing compared to it's preformance. Other than that, after it spins up their quiet, even when their working hard.... dunno about what people say but to me their quite quiet, even when their writting and stuff.

I have two 36 gb raptors in raid0, sitting between two 40gb maxtors in raid 0; in an antec performance case.
Case reports around 40C from the raptors, they aren't loud and they are fast. No "that must be the raptors" whining, during bootup or heavy usage.
I expect to get some more with an SLI board unless something with a higher buffer or faster transfer comes along.

My 74 gig Raptor is a bit noisy but I love it, the speed makes it worth it.

Well, I guess we can conclude that the Raptor owners are happy? lol.

-J.

I have one 36GB, and I couldn't believe how fast it was. It was over 50% faster while decompressing large RAR archives.
Obviously the only downfall is the storage space. But I keep all my files on my server, so it isn't much of an issue.

Yeah, I love my Raptor. :D

I'm extremely happy with my two 74GB Raptors in RAID0. They, coupled with the FX-55, load up Windows XP Pro in several seconds! They are quiet and don't get hot at all, but then again I have a well ventilated case.

Yes, they are noisy as hell, but that shouldn't stop anyone from getting one or a pair.
See my sig for how I fixed the noise and heat problem :)

My 74 gig raptor is FAST and was SO worth the $200 I paid for it (B&M shop)

Loud? I cant hear it over my 2 146 gig 10krpm SCSI seagates :cool:

They are not too noisy, don't get a wrong impression. 74's are quieter than the older 36's BTW.

Yeah... I must agree, I really dont even hear my dual 74's.

I have several case running all at 7v so they're not very loud and I still cant hear the drives over that noise.

Every once in a while during heavy usage I'll hear a little clicking, but I heard the same amount with my old 7200rpm IBM drives.

They're plenty quiet enough.

Definately no complaints here. The performance is great, and I've yet to notice any noise coming from the drive. Granted, most of the time the noise level in the room is high enough that I'd not be able to hear it over everything else, but on the rare occasions when it's quiet I've not noticed any drive noise. The only read downside is the capacity isn't as high as you are going to get on other drives, but then that's what a second drive is for:)

Hahah with J and M's systems in there...it sounds like a damn airport terminal OUTSIDE! ROFL

Gouda said:
Hahah with J and M's systems in there...it sounds like a damn airport terminal OUTSIDE! ROFL

Well, J's system is a whole lot better now that he's revamped the case/cooling (though the server is a bit noisy still). M's on the other hand sounds like he's cooling the thing with a bunch of old nvidia leaf blowers:D

Very happy i have 2 36gigs in my comp in a raid 0. Took about 10 mins to install windows. How can you complain.

Love my Raptors! I too have the older 36Gers but I haven't noticed anything noisy about them. They're about the same as a case fan on medium/low to me.

Is it me or is this a forum first? 29 people happy with the same product????

It’s late, I’m dreaming….Maybe it’s the drugs… ;)

BillR said:
Is it me or is this a forum first? 29 people happy with the same product????

It’s late, I’m dreaming….Maybe it’s the drugs… ;)

Well, at least you are just seeing happy people instead of demonic looking hellhound/rabbit/Regis looking things when you look into your monitor!

MonkeyBoy said:
Well, at least you are just seeing happy people instead of demonic looking hellhound/rabbit/Regis looking things when you look into your monitor!

Is that a Donnie Darko reference? :p

Talonz said:
Is that a Donnie Darko reference? :p

Well, it wasn't intentional but I guess on some low-level brain function it must have been since I had just watched the movie a day ago:D

Well, I just thought it was amazing, you would never see a consensus like this on like say, “The Display” forum…or most other forums.

Kinda nice to see for a change. Not to mention I was going to order one anyway;)

One of my 36Gig Raptors died, (luckily had been used in a RAID 0 setup but was starting to play up so was using it as a PVR recording drive when it failed) took WD 6 weeks to send a replacement. Not too impressed TBH

I'm Happy with my RAID0 36Gb Raptor array.

with sustaind read write in the region of 100 MBs and Burst of upto 190 MBs

Yah don't get the wrong impression, they ARE noisy. They grind away just like the rest, my IBM deskstar's 7200rpm are way quieter. Programs install alot faster but seek times seem to be the same unless I havent tweaked my system or it is intel vs amd thing or memory speed etc.. could be a bunch of things but they do make quite a grind I am tempted to make a audio recording and see if everyone elses are this loud. Of course with music on it isnt an issue.

I would prefer them to be quieter as I am sure the rest of you do but if you want speed you really aren't going to fuss and you will buy them anyway.

I went ahead and purchased mine, had it for 2 weeks and love it.

I get no no noise at all.

Tim

Back