Are PC games going to be priced at $60 now?

I don't ever remember pay $60usd for a video game.... The first one I bought at that price was Dead Space for the 360. $49.99 was what I thought usual price was....

Not really, I rarely payed $50 (or the australian equivalent in games, which is actually $100AUD) for PC games, and I have no intention of paying $60 for them now. I'd suggest a lot of PC gamers are similar to me... wait a month or two for it to hit the bargain bin. With the exception of a few titles (like the COD series), most games can be had for close to half the price within 6 to 12 months of release.

Actually a valid point, but people only wait because of the eventual sales. If it weren't for sales, people would either be buying less games or not buying them at all.

I don't ever remember pay $60usd for a video game.... The first one I bought at that price was Dead Space for the 360. $49.99 was what I thought usual price was....

I may be mistaken but I recall my dad buying a Nintendo game back in the 80's for $60. Nobunaga's Ambition was the title.
It looks like NES games sold for $30-80 from what I just researched.

I may be mistaken but I recall my dad buying a Nintendo game back in the 80's for $60. Nobunaga's Ambition was the title.
It looks like NES games sold for $30-80 from what I just researched.

Yeah. Cartridges were pretty expensive so when companies had to buy higher capacity ones they charged more. Same with the SNES and 64. NeoGeo carts were insanely expensive which lead to the system having games that could be up to $100.

eeh one of the great things about steam is they do the sales regularly. Hell I got GTAIV last christmas on steam for like $5. If a game comes out on any system. Don't buy it. You're just making them think thats ok. Fortunately some publishers get the hint. Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, and Battlefield BC2 were all on sale under $30 a few weeks ago.

Modern Warfare 2 came out on all system around $60 at Worst Buy. It's not exclusive to PC.

That probably explains why they still have like 100 copies sitting on the shelf.

15 years ago I paid $45 for Doom 2. Adjusted for inflation, that's $124.

Quake was $50. Adjusted that's $120.

Forget adjusting. Games today take more work than back then. Add a few bucks for that extra work to those prices from long ago, and you're at $60 anyway.

Steam/Ebay/+++++++ have us spoiled...

The only problem is that $50 is kind of a threshold number because games have been priced below it for so long. It stands out when prices go above it - you see similar behavior at the $99 price point where $110 seems much more expensive.

15 years ago I paid $45 for Doom 2. Adjusted for inflation, that's $124.

Quake was $50. Adjusted that's $120.

Forget adjusting. Games today take more work than back then. Add a few bucks for that extra work to those prices from long ago, and you're at $60 anyway.

Steam/Ebay/+++++++ have us spoiled...

This is what I always think about to. Games like Doom and Doom 2 probably cost a few hundred thousand to *maybe* $1millionish to produce. Now we have games easily hitting $20million and up.

This is what I always think about to. Games like Doom and Doom 2 probably cost a few hundred thousand to *maybe* $1millionish to produce. Now we have games easily hitting $20million and up.

The only reason the earlier (Doom2/Quake) iD games might have cost a "millionish" to produce is because Romero had to buy a Ferrari...

I dont mind paying $60 as long as I know I will put a good amount of time into the game otherwise most prices fall to $40-$50 within a couple months anyways

People that are willing to pay for games are likly going to pay for them no matter what the price but there will be a breaking point. The only people being hurt by this are legitimate customers, just like pretty much any type of DRM.

Increasing prices is only going to increase the amount of piracy because the more it cost the more likely someone will look to see exactly how easy it is to get a game for free.

People that are willing to pay for games are likly going to pay for them no matter what the price but there will be a breaking point. The only people being hurt by this are legitimate customers, just like pretty much any type of DRM.

Increasing prices is only going to increase the amount of piracy because the more it cost the more likely someone will look to see exactly how easy it is to get a game for free.

I agree 100 percent with what you said. It's a shame that people aren't willing to be bargain hunters, I never pay release day prices anymore unless i get a nice discount for release day, and even then only if I really want the game.

It's far better to just wait a month or 2, see the big price drop, and then grab it, even if it takes a while for the price to drop, you always have a nice backlog anyway, so it's not like rushing out to buy this or that game is going to do you any good if you never get around to beating the ones you do have.

I bought AC2 for $30 in March from Best Buy for my PS3. I bought plenty of games cheap on Steam. It just seems stupid to pay $50 or $60 with the kind of games that have been shoved out the door lately, they all seem to lack quality except for games like Dragon Age Origins, and the like.

I don't really believe that. Yes, it is true that a lot of people pirate games. But I also believe that people understand in order for a game to succeed and for a company to create more games it has to be successful. For that reason they will buy the games when they reach a more palatable price point.

People like myself. I think the best business model is what steam has. 4-packs, preorder offers, flexible pricing and so forth. I have organized several 4-packs for games. It really seems that they are a consumer friendly company so I go out of my way to support them. I have tons of the same games sitting on my shelf and also in my steam account. Because it adds value.

Games are most definitely over-priced.

Wanna help beat piracy? Price games at a more reasonable level

i remember paying $70 for chrono trigger, mario rpg, ocarina of time, and golden eye when they were released.

i remember paying $70 for chrono trigger, mario rpg, ocarina of time, and golden eye when they were released.

Don't remind me. I was only 14 when Ocarina came out. Had to save up allowance to get that one. Not a fun wait, but totally worth it. Thankfully I had the foresight a couple years later to convince my mother to get Major's Mask for me as a Christmas gift. Should've done that with Ocarina, but no, I wanted to save up for it all on my own. Wasn't Earthbound $60 or did that one get the normal $50 price?

I don't really believe that. Yes, it is true that a lot of people pirate games. But I also believe that people understand in order for a game to succeed and for a company to create more games it has to be successful. For that reason they will buy the games when they reach a more palatable price point.

But people had no problem paying this price for Quake.

Is perhaps the problem is that there are too many games?

Back in the day, if you wanted an online fragfest, your choices were Quake and... well, Quake...

A year later... Quake, Unreal....

A year later... Quake/Unreal/Q2/HL...

And a handful more games for just SP...

Like I said, adjusted for inflation, these games cost $120+.

I think the issue is that there are too many games that we're wishing to buy, so it's being noticed in our wallets...

I think I've seen that SC2 is going to be $60 also. I think it is going to be the new trend unfortunately.

And that will be the only game I'll ever pay $60 for...
If and when I get the expansion packs (zerg and protoss single player) it'll be after the price has dropped considerably. But considering I got what I wanted (a beta key from gamestop and multiplayer) I won't gripe about it.

I'm not going to buy SC2 until all 3 Terran/Zerg/Protoss come out properly along with expansions in a warchest for $60. That will probably be like 2015 unfortunately LOL.

Yeah, they're going to be selling for $60, like they were back in the early 90's. Unlike in the early 90's however, we now have digital distribution outlets, which will sell the game for $5 just six months after release.

I bought Majesty 2 for 50$ on day one in the summer (boxed copy), and literally 3 months later it was selling on D2D for $5.

That happened with about 6 other titles for me. As long as you're patient, and can wait between 3 and 6 months, then it's not an issue - games are dirt cheap now for those who wait. I waited on just two games, and both times I was rewarded. Just this week I picked up The Saboteur for $15. And through the EA website I bought Bad Company 2 for $20 - and that was only 4 weeks after it was released!

Dude, I remember when can of pop was a quarter out of a vending machine. Once it raised to 35 cents I vowed never to buy pop again. And now it's at a buck twenty five? Pshaw.

Games might cost everyone else $60, but they won't cost me $60, guaranteed.

Yeah, they're going to be selling for $60, like they were back in the early 90's. Unlike in the early 90's however, we now have digital distribution outlets, which will sell the game for $5 just six months after release.

I bought Majesty 2 for 50$ on day one in the summer (boxed copy), and literally 3 months later it was selling on D2D for $5.

That happened with about 6 other titles for me. As long as you're patient, and can wait between 3 and 6 months, then it's not an issue - games are dirt cheap now for those who wait. I waited on just two games, and both times I was rewarded. Just this week I picked up The Saboteur for $15. And through the EA website I bought Bad Company 2 for $20 - and that was only 4 weeks after it was released!

Yeah. I only buy games I'm really looking forward to near release. Otherwise I wait. I have more than enough games on my Steam list that I'm never out of games to play, or I can pick up one of the older games I have sitting around here and play them. Waiting is no problem for me. Until I get a better computer I'm probably going to be doing a lot more waiting just to see how well the games will work on this thing.

I have no problem paying $60 for a game if there is good content and is fun. Too bad most games today are not worth it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Minimum wage increased! Yay! The price of games went up! Booo!

That's inflation for you.

Oh well we all know that in three months or less they will be almost half the price.

60bux is 6 hours of mini wage for canadians. thats not too much. i paid for l4d and l4d2 and probably play them for 20hours (only at lans).

Thank goodness for digital distribution.

Steam has ruined me to the point where I won't pay more than $19.99 for a game anymore. The only reason I bought BC2 was it was $20 on EA download.

Cost of development has increased why wouldn't the game? Not that I support Ubisoft and there dumb ass DRM schemes but seriously welcome to an ever increasing economy.

Games cost tons more to develop than they did 10-15 years ago , they aren't developing games for playstation one guys. People expect all kinds of polish ..high end graphics , elaborate sound and soundtracks , expanded MP content and DLC content (sadly this is the true problem but a few developers are being smart keeping things in perspective .. thanks valve).

I don't mind paying 60 bucks for a quality game and if it keeps it to the standard I'm use to its worthwhile.

Development costs have increased, but so has the customer base. A larger customer base means more potential sales, meaning per-unit profit margins can be either maintained or lowered.

Development costs have increased, but so has the customer base. A larger customer base means more potential sales, meaning per-unit profit margins can be either maintained or lowered.

By that logic movie ticket sales should be down, but they are way up, with people paying even more premiums for 3D.

so your position is that the pc gaming base is growing? interesting...

Is that the case for PC games anymore?
I mean, sure there are 50 million people playing farmville, but is the number of people who go out and spend $50-60 on a new PC game increasing?
At this point, PCs are pretty much ubiquitous, and in large part utilitarian. Maybe you're right, but I just don't see where large numbers of people are looking at their internet/word processing machine and spending a bunch of money to play games on it.

You know I remember when Super Mario Bros 3 came out for the NES it was actually retailing at some places for 80 due to demand. My mom was going to buy it for me but even in my early selfish teens years I thought it was a rip off so I rented the dam game and beat it in less than day of non stop play.

While that is true, consider that roughly 70% of all games released to retail fail to make a profit and most of those don't break even.

Once again, Blizzard games have been $60 forever.

Diablo 2 launched at $60. Warcraft 3 launched at $60. What they are doing with Starcraft 2 is nothing new.

Back