Are P5Q boards OK for GeForce GTX280 cards?

Hi, on a previous thread, I planned to get a new computer with a 4870 in it, so people recommended P5Q boards. It made sense to me too since once Asus' 14.4k dialup server finished sending me a fraction of their webpage, I read that some of the P5Q boards were made for Crossfire. So they seem intentionally made for ATI cards.

After consideration, I've decided to get a BFG GTX280 OC instead of an ATI card.

If I do not plan to use SLI, should I still just get the P5Q? Also, should I get the Pro or another version?

I have a P5Q PRO with an EVGA 8800GTS and it's just fine. If your power supply is sufficient, you can rin a 280. But you can't run SLI on the P5Q PRO. It's a Crossfire board, so if you want multiple cards you have to use ATI.

Yes, the P5Q boards would be fine for your BFG GTX280 OC card. Here's an article with a chart which compares all of the P5Q boards and their features.

Thank you
Fortunately, I think the rev 1.03 issue concerns the P5Q-Deluxe only, and not the plain P5Q I plan to get...

Any P45 board would still be fine with your card, if you have no plans of going SLI most people would still recommend a mobo with an Intel-based chipset over anything by NVidia, they're generally just more hassle-free and stable. P5Q-Pro or P5Q-E, either or. I like the placement of some of the connectors on the -E better, but other than that the differences are pretty minor.

Back