Are new Notebook's available without Vista?

caffiendo

n00b
I'm in the market for a new laptop and have been looking at Best Buy and Circuit Shitty. All the laptops have Vista pre-installed. Does anyone know if you can buy a Notebook from a major retailer now w/o Vista?

Yea, I second that. I believe Lenovo still offers the option on their entire line of PCs. Dell's Latitude units only have this option now.

there is that company that sells laptops with linux on it - but i think their hardware is overpriced - guess they arent getting any funding from microsoft - they dont have the volume to offer lower prices...

www.pctorque.com also still sells w/ windows XP or Vista
they are sager laptops - if you like those

I would not buy from PC Torque, they have a bad habbit of not answering e-mails to customers who got shafted with the thrid party warranty (will provide proof if requested).

here is a list of sager resellers

i'd also stay away from Flawless computers (their rating needs to be updated)

Is there a reason why you do not want Windows Vista above WinXP? Vista is a great OS and is a huge step forward from XP except it's driver support isn't quite there yet, but if you're buying a pre-made PC the manufacturer WILL have working drivers for it.

Do you have software that does not support Vista or do you plan to use this notebook for gaming?

i was checking a8js prices on newegg today to see how bad i overpaid 2 months ago..lol. they have an xp pro with upgrade model, and one with vista home premium. they're still out there.

but as stated previously vista is pretty cool for the most part, and you won't have driver issues if you buy a preloaded machine..

xoticpc.com still offers xp, and they seem to be pretty highly regarded from what i've seen. all the sager and compal and asus stuff is customizable there like a few other places.

Thanks for all the replies! I have just heard a lot of bad things about Vista. It seems that about 50% or so of the reports I've read are negative. I also would like a stable OS and I'm not sure if this will be. If it is a pre-made system, then it should be tested and working.

I went to Circuit and tried a couple out and I do like the new interface. I think I am going to give it a try.

Thanks for all the replies! I have just heard a lot of bad things about Vista. It seems that about 50% or so of the reports I've read are negative. I also would like a stable OS and I'm not sure if this will be. If it is a pre-made system, then it should be tested and working.

I went to Circuit and tried a couple out and I do like the new interface. I think I am going to give it a try.

Majority of the negative review on Vista are about driver support and game performance; but that's because it's new and it should come around quickly, the faster the adoption, the sooner it's fixed.

Majority of the negative review on Vista are about driver support and game performance; but that's because it's new and it should come around quickly, the faster the adoption, the sooner it's fixed.

QFT and a magnificent way of putting it. Kudos...

I got my recent lenovo laptop with XP instead of vista. I didnt make the jump from 2k to XP until I saw first hand that XP was worth it. I'll do the same with Vista if that ever happens.

You could buy a Mac. That was one of the 2 reasons that I ordered a MacBook instead of a new Thinkpad - my problem is that I wanted a new ThinkPad without ANY form of Windows, not just XP instead of Vista, but Lenovo only sell the machines with some form of Windows. In fact, pretty much ALL new laptops have to be bought with Windows, which I would immediately install Linux over & hence throw the price of a license down the drain. So I (grudgingly) bought a Mac! yes I know that technically you cans end the license back & get the money back, but I doubt that would happen smoothly.

At first I hated Vista. I bought a Toshiba laptop with only 512MB of Ram and it could barely do anything. So I optimized the settings by disabling a lot of the bloatware prepacked with branded laptops. Afterwards I installed another 512mb stick of memory. Now, I am loving the laptop. Even with the crappy X200 Video it plays WoW pretty good. After installing a Codec pack, Windows Media Player plays everything I have thrown at it.

I am liking it so far but have not gotten around trying any other software on the unit.

Back