Are my video cards ok for my new 4k monitor?

ty44

n00b
Hey so i have a i7 4790k and a EVGA Z97 classified and 2 EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 running in SLI and i just ordered the Acer XB280HK bprz 3840x2160 G-Sync monitor. My question is, do you guys think that i will be able to run most modern games at high-ultra with this setup? I'm asking this because over the last few days i've been running shadow of mordor at 2560x1440 with everything at ultra except for texture quality which is set to high on the same PC and at points of intense action, i get frame drops from 60fps(v-sync enabled) to 40-50 so this has me a little worried. If my current setup doesn't have the horsepower for 4k (which would be very upsetting if it didn't seeing as to how much money i've put in this build) i would consider getting another 980 for 3-way SLI which may or may not do the trick. I would appreciate any facts, answers, or opinions on my situation. Thank you.

I have the xb280hk and one gtx 780 ti. Running the shadows of mordor benchmark at "high" settings I get around ~38fps average.

Honestly gsync does such an amazing job I don't notice. Linus reviewed that monitor and you should follow his advice. (Don't focus on a fps counter, instead set in games settings where you want and scale things down until the game runs smooth)..... Anything over 40fps on this 4k gsync monitor and your golden.

And yes you will be fine with 980 sli. Don't expect a constant pegged 60fps. But that's fine because that's where gysnc comes into play.

Last edited:
I would appreciate any facts, answers, or opinions on my situation. Thank you.

Too early to call. Set it up and see how it does. It won't kill you to wait a few more days if you end up ordering another GPU, especially because the game would at least be playable during those few days even if you have to slightly decrease the quality.

You should be fine, but you probably won't be able to maintain 60 FPS in all titles. G-SYNC will help you with that. As long as the graphics cards can keep it above 40 FPS you probably won't even notice.

True, the 60fps is the optimal but it doesnt mean you will see any difference if the fps drop to 40, but you dont want to dip bellow that mark..

I had to stop using fps counters. I was spending more time looking at my fps then I was gaming. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the game ;)

Hey thanks for the insight. So i'm so excited for this monitor to come in, do you love it? The 1 big factor that was holding me back at first was the TN panel, in your experience how is the TN panel on the acer compared to any ips panel you've experienced? It really came down to 2 4k monitors for me in the end, the acer xb280hk or the new dell P2715q 27 inch 4k IPS monitor, i chose the acer though because i really want to experience what g-sync is all about.

Shadows of Mordor is especially VRAM intensive. G-Sync should handle the framerate drops invisibly to you. But tests at [H] and elsewhere have shown that 4 GB VRAM is not always enough for 4K at ultra quality settings. Since I get decent performance with my 780 Ti at lower settings, I'm holding off upgrading until cards with more VRAM appear.

Shadows of Mordor is especially VRAM intensive. G-Sync should handle the framerate drops invisibly to you. But tests at [H] and elsewhere have shown that 4 GB VRAM is not always enough for 4K at ultra quality settings. Since I get decent performance with my 780 Ti at lower settings, I'm holding off upgrading until cards with more VRAM appear.

Thanks for the help. You figure with all these vram intensive games coming out that we would see some higher end video cards with at least 6GB GDDR5 on the regular but nope. I'm holding out hope that we might see a GTX 980ti with 8GB vram really soon at least sometime before summer.

EDIT: there was the GTX 780 6GB that was extremely rare to find for some reason and when they do pop up used, people want an arm and a leg for them.

On the plus side, gaming at 4K is awesome and the higher pixel density means you can reduce or drop some of the gewgaws like AA without too much impact on your gaming pleasure.

I have this monitor with 2 970's in sli. It's just jaw dropping awesome.

Yes!!! That's what i like to hear. So what games have you run on this monitor with your SLI 970's and what kind of performance are you seeing?

I don't have 980s... but I do have xfired 290x's running at 4k. It looks amazing. I took my setup to our work LAN party over Christmas break and people were literally amazed at how good BF4 looked... and this was coming from guys running 2560x1440 27" monitors with 290x's and 780 ti's.

I have the el cheapo Acer b286hk(which somehow I got one of the good ones with no ghosting and the other issues people had) that I overclocked to 74hz(wahoo! ha). On BF4 I set everything to Ultra and turn off antialiasing deferred, antialiasing post, and ambient collision. With those settings and vsync on I never drop below 60 usually. It truly does look astonishing.

With that said... I'm sure your 980s will have no problem pushing your new 4k monitor. :) Enjoy the 4k goodness!

Yea. I second this monitor is amazing. I went back and forth from my 120hz to this. And this is my new favorite. Amazing experience. Best upgrade ever

The 1 big factor that was holding me back at first was the TN panel, in your experience how is the TN panel on the acer compared to any ips panel you've experienced? It really came down to 2 4k monitors for me in the end, the acer xb280hk or the new dell P2715q 27 inch 4k IPS monitor, i chose the acer though because i really want to experience what g-sync is all about.

I *hated* the TN panel in the Acer 4k with G-SYNC, and I sent it back for a refund. I'm back on my 1440p 60Hz IPS screen until a good IPS 1440p or 2k G-SYNC monitor is released.

But that's just me. You may like the TN just fine. :)

Yes!!! That's what i like to hear. So what games have you run on this monitor with your SLI 970's and what kind of performance are you seeing?

Battlefield 4 (single player) was able to run 60 FPS most of the time everything maxed except AA. I feel AA is not needed at this res and you have to give up some of the eye candy to run at 4k at this time (not much just some).

Farcry3 runs very high 50's everything maxed no AA.

Crysis 3 runs in the mid 30's to low 40's everything maxed no AA.

Ac: Unity is averaging 35 FPS everything maxed out except textures I have at high instead of Ultra again not using AA. It's a beautiful game at 4k (I just ran it a 1080 to see what my FPS jumped to which was high 70's and the difference in detail is night and day).

Tomb Raider running average of 50 FPS everything maxed (including hair tess) again no AA in the game benchmark.

Honestly G-sync helps the smoothness of everything a ton be aware that few games just don't like a combination of SLI and/or G-Sync together. This doesn't happen very often just occasionally. For example AC: Unity has some texture shimmering with SLI but you can remove 90 percent of the shimmering by running in window mode. The problem with running in window mode is G-Sync doesn't work in Window mode.

Watch dogs runs anywhere from as high as 57-58 and as low 28-29 (god I love the way that game looks but it just never really was optimized correctly).

I played the beta for BF: Hardline and the in game benchmark with everything maxed out except AA was 60 FPS.

Figure with 2X980 sli you should get around 15% higher FPS than what I am getting. I usually only buy 4 or 5 games a year so sorry some of the benchmarks are kinda old (waiting for GTA V to take up my free time for the next 6 months lol).

Battlefield 4 (single player) was able to run 60 FPS most of the time everything maxed except AA. I feel AA is not needed at this res and you have to give up some of the eye candy to run at 4k at this time (not much just some).

Farcry3 runs very high 50's everything maxed no AA.

Crysis 3 runs in the mid 30's to low 40's everything maxed no AA.

Ac: Unity is averaging 35 FPS everything maxed out except textures I have at high instead of Ultra again not using AA. It's a beautiful game at 4k (I just ran it a 1080 to see what my FPS jumped to which was high 70's and the difference in detail is night and day).

Tomb Raider running average of 50 FPS everything maxed (including hair tess) again no AA in the game benchmark.

Honestly G-sync helps the smoothness of everything a ton be aware that few games just don't like a combination of SLI and/or G-Sync together. This doesn't happen very often just occasionally. For example AC: Unity has some texture shimmering with SLI but you can remove 90 percent of the shimmering by running in window mode. The problem with running in window mode is G-Sync doesn't work in Window mode.

Watch dogs runs anywhere from as high as 57-58 and as low 28-29 (god I love the way that game looks but it just never really was optimized correctly).

I played the beta for BF: Hardline and the in game benchmark with everything maxed out except AA was 60 FPS.

Figure with 2X980 sli you should get around 15% higher FPS than what I am getting. I usually only buy 4 or 5 games a year so sorry some of the benchmarks are kinda old (waiting for GTA V to take up my free time for the next 6 months lol).

That all sounds excellent. Thanks so much for all that info and help. My acer is do in tomorrow and i'm pretty excited. I also can't wait for gta v on pc, especially what it's gonna look like in comparison to the ps4 and xb1 versions.

Yea. I second this monitor is amazing. I went back and forth from my 120hz to this. And this is my new favorite. Amazing experience. Best upgrade ever

Hey thanks for the insight. So i'm so excited for this monitor to come in, do you love it? The 1 big factor that was holding me back at first was the TN panel, in your experience how is the TN panel on the acer compared to any ips panel you've experienced? It really came down to 2 4k monitors for me in the end, the acer xb280hk or the new dell P2715q 27 inch 4k IPS monitor, i chose the acer though because i really want to experience what g-sync is all about.

Back