Are my temps okay? (PII X 4 965)

skruideli

Limp Gawd
Yes, I know, we get these threads once every 2 weeks or so.

I have been slightly concerned about my temps recently ever since people have been pointing out that the max temperature for a Phenom II is somewhere around 55-60C.

What I have noticed is that my 965, running at stock speeds and voltages gets to around 42 degrees C when running nothing but cpu folding. Idle temps are around 28C, but yesterday while playing Ghostbusters my temperatures reached 55-56 C!

Is this too hot for my cpu?

I am cooling it with a Coolermaster Hyper N520, using arctic silver, my case is the HAF 932.

If it doesn't shut off, your temps are fine...

Are you using the Temp In 1 value, or core values?

And yes we have one of these every 2 weeks.

I am looking at the core values and the in 1 value, this would be in AMD overdrive.

And while I am not shutting down, I suffered a terrible slowdown in the last boss battle in Ghostbusters.

Also, I would expect the Hyper N520 to do a better job than that, considering I am running at stock speeds.

Is this a c2 stepping chip? How do you have your case fans? Often the rear fan will be setup by the factory to blow into the case, and then people will mount the heatsink so that the fan blows toward the rear of the case, which isnt productive.

This is the C3 stepping CPU. I have the default fan configuration for the HAF 932 and I cannot find any diagrams from Coolermaster on what the default airflow direction may be, I will need to check that when I get back home. The only other thing I can think of is reseating the cooler, I had similar problems with my previous 775 setup.

Yes, I know, we get these threads once every 2 weeks or so.

I have been slightly concerned about my temps recently ever since people have been pointing out that the max temperature for a Phenom II is somewhere around 55-60C.

What I have noticed is that my 965, running at stock speeds and voltages gets to around 42 degrees C when running nothing but cpu folding. Idle temps are around 28C, but yesterday while playing Ghostbusters my temperatures reached 55-56 C!

Is this too hot for my cpu?

I am cooling it with a Coolermaster Hyper N520, using arctic silver, my case is the HAF 932.

If you are folding on your cpu and it gets no hotter than 42 degrees, you may be running the wrong client. Make sure you are running the SMP client with the -smp flag enabled to make sure it is running on all 4 cores. Your cpu should never be running hotter when gaming than when folding!

The default setup for the 140mm rear fan on the HAF 932 is to exhaust air out of the case so you should be good there.

thanks Spittle, I will verify that this is the way it is when I get home tonight.

amdgamer: I think I am running the SMP client, it certainly stresses all my cores about the same when I run it. I do wonder if the temps had something to do with the fact that folding was running in the background while I was playing the game. Going to see if closing folding in the background makes any difference at all.

I guess all of this is pointing towards me trying a remount, which I would prefer not to do at this time. Guess I know what I will be doing next weekend.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

thanks Spittle, I will verify that this is the way it is when I get home tonight.

amdgamer: I think I am running the SMP client, it certainly stresses all my cores about the same when I run it. I do wonder if the temps had something to do with the fact that folding was running in the background while I was playing the game. Going to see if closing folding in the background makes any difference at all.

I guess all of this is pointing towards me trying a remount, which I would prefer not to do at this time. Guess I know what I will be doing next weekend.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

If you are running the SMP client, make sure that you are running it with the -SMP flag. When you are folding across all 4 cores, there is no possible way that your cpu will be running cooler than when gaming. This is because there are virtually no applications available that will stress every core of your processor more than folding. Back when I was still folding on my gaming rig, my cpu would run around 56-60 degrees when folding while running in the low 50's during games.

You can fire up CoreTemp to monitor your temperatures as it will tell you what the utilization of each core is.

thats a 92mm cooler, so yes temps are what i would expect, especially with mixed up airflow

your temps are fine.

Thanks everyone for your input, I am going to try to see if the bolts at the backplate are somehow loose and maybe causing poor contact with the cpu tonight.

However, I seem to have a different problem now, last night I left the computer completely idle and came back 15 minutes later, the graphics on the screen were all scrambled, it was definitely not your usual artifacting at all. I ran furmark for 15 minutes and it did not cause any problems (card did reach 92C though), then ran OCCT for an hour with no ill effects and memtest overnight, so I have a mystery on my hands. Oh well, I hope it will last until the weekend so I can do some actual troubleshooting.

Back