Are my expectations realistic?

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
My current desktop is the following : E8500 C2D using 8 gig ram with ati radeon 4870. I built it in 2008. It's outdated to be sure but still holds its own.

I am wanting get a portable machine that can play the newest games nearly on ultra settings at 40-60 fps , or high settings at a solid 60 fps. Something that can play Crysis or Skyrim with display mods and still not hiccup. If it can run the next gen games (2014/2015) on high settings I'd be happy. I am hoping to get something that is upgradable as well.

I'm trying to decide between the two Sager models: 170sm
OR 177sm

Whichever I get I am planning to get CPU upgrade (4800mq) and GPU special ati 8990m, along with thermal paste upgrade. I will buy a SSD separately from amazon because they are much cheaper than Xotic is selling them for.

My budget is 1800 Max. Is my configuration the best bang for buck and more importantly, am I being realistic with my expectations?

I've heard the difference between the two models is cosmetic only, then I hear 177sm has more copper vs aluminum so slightly better cooling, but also that the mic is changed positions. Can someone clarify?

Cooling on those two is identical.

Have you had a look at the MSI barebones? They are hard to beat on bang for buck.

Cooling on those two is identical.

Have you had a look at the MSI barebones? They are hard to beat on bang for buck.

I've heard they only have one fan and their cooling is sub par as a result.

I am wanting get a portable machine that can play the newest games nearly on ultra settings at 40-60 fps , or high settings at a solid 60 fps. Something that can play Crysis or Skyrim with display mods and still not hiccup. If it can run the next gen games (2014/2015) on high settings I'd be happy.

In order to realistic meet these requirements anything short of a dual GPU option simply wont have enough processing power. Once you starting customizing dual GPU machines its very easy go over your $2000 limit. I have a Sager NP8170 that I absolutely love, so I totally recommend going with a Sager machine. They are good high quality laptops built to last. I bought mine from Xoticpc and I have had to deal with their customer service on a couple of occasions and they are awesome, best customer service experience I have had with any company.

In order to realistic meet these requirements anything short of a dual GPU option simply wont have enough processing power. Once you starting customizing dual GPU machines its very easy go over your $2000 limit. I have a Sager NP8170 that I absolutely love, so I totally recommend going with a Sager machine. They are good high quality laptops built to last. I bought mine from Xoticpc and I have had to deal with their customer service on a couple of occasions and they are awesome, best customer service experience I have had with any company.

I'm wondering if I should get a barebones SLI or crossfire one and then just add a card later...they have this : NP9380 ...obviously I wouldn't get the upgrade processor and the SSD would have to wait but this would give me some room to grow...what do you think? I am worried about the issues I hear about SLI and crossfire ...

Whichever I get I am planning to get CPU upgrade (4800mq) and GPU special ati 8990m, along with thermal paste upgrade. I will buy a SSD separately from amazon because they are much cheaper than Xotic is selling them for.

I'm assuming you mean the 8970m.

If that's the case, you can see what kind of FPS to expect in current games here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8970M.90656.0.html

From a desktop GPU comparison - it looks like it performs on par with a desktop 6970.
Take it for what it's worth - while mobile CPUs perform on par with desktop CPUs, mobile GPUs are still lagging far behind their desktop counterparts - in terms of performance and value.

I've heard they only have one fan and their cooling is sub par as a result.

No, they don't throttle their cards like other brands as much so while they run hotter they run faster too, there are also some great tricks like using high quality 0.5mm thermal pads and a good application of thermal paste that can improve the cooling hugely.

Back