Are my conclusions about 27" and 30" monitors correct?

I've been reading up quite a bit and it seems like 30" monitors, although neat, are definitely not the most cost effective. For the same price as a single 3008wfp, 3x27" samsungs or practically any 27" from newegg can be had. Is this correct?

Would you guys recommend the two or three 27"ers with a dual 5870 CS setup over a single 30"? It seems like I get a LOT more viewing space from the multiple 27" and also might save a few bucks on the side.

I could be missing something though. Are those $300-400 27" monitors not very good? Is there a reason why the extra 3 inches is practically a full $1000 more?

Uses: FPS and MMO games and engineering work (CAD)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I just realized I could use one a 32" LCD Tv. My vision is poor and I love 1920x1080 anyways. Would something like an LG or samsung 32" LCD work well for fps games?

Last edited:
I got a 32" Panasonic TV a few months ago and I love it. Debating on whether or not to get a 30" monitor for the 2560x1600 res... But for now the TV is fantastic. If you go this route you need to do your homework because there are only a few TV's that are suitable for use as a monitor. From what I hear, the input lag on Samsung models is a bit high. From what I have read the consensus is that the best models are the Panasonic (TC L32S1 and the 2010 model I forget the model #) and the Sharp (700UN)

I could be missing something though. Are those $300-400 27" monitors not very good? Is there a reason why the extra 3 inches is practically a full $1000 more?

Well it's not only the extra 3" you're paying for, it's also a higher resolution (which costs much more to produce) and a better panel. 30" monitors use IPS panels which yield more accurate colors and better viewing angles than their TN counterparts. That higher resolution/better colors & viewing angles do come at a premium, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. Many think it is; others do not. If you go with two or three 1920x1200/1080 displays it negates some of the benefit of the 30" resolution because you can still multitask well by spreading apps out over multiple monitors, but you're still stuck with the downfalls of TN panels.

Korialstrasza said:
EDIT: I just realized I could use one a 32" LCD Tv. My vision is poor and I love 1920x1080 anyways. Would something like an LG or samsung 32" LCD work well for fps games?

Yes, you could use a 32" HDTV but as pcgamer420 pointed out, some are much better for PC use than others. Do your research before purchasing as all are definitely not created equal.

my thoughts would be for getting 3x24'' monitors and tilting them horizontally. they would about match the aspect ratio of a regular widescreen monitor. probably be cheap compared also.

IMO 27" at 1920x1200 resolution is just too high. Displays always look better with smaller pixel sizes, though viewing distance influences whether you see pixels or not. On a big HDTV you usually sit so much further away than from a computer monitor that the large pixels don't matter. On a computer monitor that is right in front of you they do.

IMO 27" at 1920x1200 resolution is just too high. Displays always look better with smaller pixel sizes, though viewing distance influences whether you see pixels or not. On a big HDTV you usually sit so much further away than from a computer monitor that the large pixels don't matter. On a computer monitor that is right in front of you they do.

I had the hh281 and from the pixel pitch point of view it was perfect... Stayed at pc distance and reading was very relaxing... :D

Maybe. The important thing with regards to that is that the TV have a "game mode." Reason is most modern LCD TVs do a shit ton of processing and it lags the signal bad, like 200ms or more. Not only can you feel this when using a computer, you can actually see it if you have an audio device that doesn't delay the audio (lips will be out of sync with speech).

So, you want to make sure said TV has a "game mode" that turns all that off and gives you fast response. I have a Samsung LN46C630 and it does have a game mode, and works fine when used with a computer. If there's lag I don't notice it. However you cannot get the 630 line in 32", 40" is as low as it goes. They do claim the LN32C550 has a game mode, and it is a 32" TV. I cannot comment on it specifically, as I don't have one.

In general, I like my Samsung TV. It uses a reasonably good PVA panel. Image quality is pleasing over all. I don't like it quite as much as my NEC monitor, but then the NEC monitor cost more for a 26" monitor than this did for a 46" TV so what do you expect?

If you do get a Samsung TV you need to make sure to set the mode on the HDMI scaling right. By default it overscans, meaning you have edges cut off. So when that happens it doesn't mean things are defective, just means you need to adjust it.

@Sycraft: Sharp LCDs typically have a game mode also and are usually recommended by the members at AVSforum. I think Panasonics fare well as PC monitors also.

It's worth noting what you said about making adjustments. Some TVs intend for a certain HDMI to be used with PC, some do overscan by default, and others require you to disable the extra processing intended for TV & movies in order to function respectfully as a monitor. Do research on the model you're considering to make sure you have it set up optimally. I have to wonder how many people claim that a certain model is no good for PC use when they missed a crucial setup feature or don't have everything configured correctly.

it all depends on resolution, and your use of the monitor.

they have 27" monitors at 2650x1440 which are the 16:9 equivalent of 30" 2650x1600. 3 of those would be far better than 1 30".

but I very much dislike 27" at 1920 and wouldn't ever buy one because high resolution is most of what I care about.

I use a 305t at 2650x1600 and don't need a second monitor due to the larger resolution.

it all depends on resolution, and your use of the monitor

Ya all in what you like. Some people want a larger pixel pitch, in that case a 1080 TV is what you want. Some people want more on the screen, in that case a high rez computer monitor is the thing you need.

Back