Are Movie Tickets Still Worth It?

We have half price movie tickets every tuesdays in Canada.

Many places do the same here in China. Which is good since for a normal theater with nothing special at all the cost is 150RMB (about 23 bucks). I do use the theater but only for dating or just to go out somewhere with my wife. Also, they put sugar on the popcorn....bastards. Way to fuck up my theater experience!!!

when I hear a shitty movie made $50 million opening day weekend, then yeah I say movie tickets are definitely not "worth" it. paying $7.50 for a MATINEE price is fucking outrageous. $3 more to see a 3D movie, crazy insane. Then top it off with $3 for a small soda, well go fuck yourself I'm not sitting in a god damn restaurant!

Where can you get tickets for under $8?! Everything here is over $11, not to mention if you were going to go see a POS 3D movie on the weekend in IMAX (even the fake rebranded IMAX) then its more like $20. Greedy bastards is right. Netflix and even Blockbuster FTW. Much better deals, and I don't have to sit through people yelling at the screen or talking on their dang phones.

I echo this. The ultra cheap off hours stuff? NEVERMIND. These days I only go 3-4 times a year with friends to the big releases. All the other movies I want can be rented or 'found' :p

I honestly don't think the old Theater model is financially feasible any longer.

First off, anything that takes droves of people and transports them to a single location for a service (such as a movie), is a dying idea to begin with.

Home is where the action is.

For me - Maybe 3 movies a year at the theaters.. The rest either Netflix or the occassional disc I actually buy.

Seems dumb to pay $10+ for 90 minutes of entertainment and another 30 minutes of commercials at the beginning when the movie will be out on disc in 3 or 4 months and you can skip all those commercials if you want to.

$7.89?!?!?!?!? Were the people who were taking the survey smoking crack as well? Any theater I have been too in the last 10 years has been $10 and up!!!!

I honestly don't think the old Theater model is financially feasible any longer.

First off, anything that takes droves of people and transports them to a single location for a service (such as a movie), is a dying idea to begin with.

Home is where the action is.

The NFL would disagree with you..... Yep...nobody is forking out 5-15k to see hte superbowl. :rolleyes:

In the UK the cost for two would be

Petrol to get there - £5.00
Parking - £3.00
2 x Tickets at £7.50 each - £15.00
Packet of sweets and a drink - £5.00

So for two you are looking at £28.00 or approx $45 to see a crappy Hollywood remake.

I wait 3 months and borrow the DVD from the local library for £2.00.

Tickets are only $6 Matinée so that's when I go.

Also, the theater here has a new fully digital theater and they use a pair (yes a pair for one screen) of new TI DLP 4K projectors for all movies (even 2D).

Both 2-ton projectors project the film simultaneously onto the 70ft screen and this is supposed to increase the contrast ratio and overall picture.

It absolutely looks incredible and it's the only theater I go and see my movies in.

The last movies I have seen there were:

Tron
Harry Potter
Inception
Toy Story 3
Iron Man 2

There is no comparison to watching movies like these in a modern theater with a crisp digital projection display and excellent sound. (I swear this theater also has the volume turned up to twice what most other theaters have, but the new sound system there can actually handle it without breaking a sweat)

Also, Netflix takes a month after the BluRay release to even come to online streaming and I just don't want to wait anywhere near that long.

Most big movies like those I listed come out on a Friday and I go see them the day after on Saturday Morning for the $6 price. I don't even have to buy tickets ahead or wait in line if you go in the morning like that.

For me there is just something special about seeing a brand new movie on the big-screen and there is just no substitute for the quality and experience of both the video and audio.

All this coming from a guy who has his own 136" 1080p DLP projection screen and entry-level HiFi surround system. that looks like this:
http://people.msoe.edu/~oldroydn/HomeTheater/

I do watch lots of movies on my system all the time but I won't stop going to the theater any time soon.

Anyways, that's my take on this topic.

Also I noticed that some people say that 3D costs extra for you. Seems weird to me. Where I go, 3D doesn't cost any extra. It was only $6 for me to see Tron Legacy in 3D Saturday morning after opening.

Now that I have a big plasma and a good surround sound I have no desire to ever go to the theaters unless it's for a social event with other people. It's better in every way...the seats are more comfortable, the food is better, and we can be as riotous as we want without bothering anybody. Unless the prices of tickets comes back down to Earth I'll keep my distance from movie theaters.

Oh yes and with the advent of the lazy BBFC giving in to the studios with the 12A certificate being given to any film other than the extreme horrors. You now have to put up with every nearly every movie appearing like a creche, with 2 year olds etc. running and screaming about.

Truly awful experience for the too high a price.

(I swear this theater also has the volume turned up to twice what most other theaters have, but the new sound system there can actually handle it without breaking a sweat)
That's one of the reasons my friends and I stay away from the theaters. They're pushing the sound too far to the point that you walk out with ringing ears. I thought it was me getting older but the kids in my classes say the same thing. The Imax is even worse about that. To each his own though.

Many places do the same here in China. Which is good since for a normal theater with nothing special at all the cost is 150RMB (about 23 bucks). I do use the theater but only for dating or just to go out somewhere with my wife. Also, they put sugar on the popcorn....bastards. Way to fuck up my theater experience!!!

lol...sugar is probably healthier than the butter they put on here. A medium bag of popcorn equates to 97 grams of fat. That's equivalent to a few burgers...

I go to the movies now maybe once a year. I really could care less about 3D I think it takes more away from a movie then adds to it. I am one of the millions of people that wear glasses and wearing 3D glasses on top of my glasses really is no fun. I go to see movies for the story not what things they can throw at the screen to try and make you duck. Ticket price is another reason to stay at home.

Yeah netflix streaming has aways to go in content but I have been enjoing it alot have not even watched many movies on it yet I did watch all 5 seasons of Stargate Atlantis that I have not seen before. Me my 53 inch Sony SD and my reclining couch and some snacks with a great show or moive on is at times alot more fun then driving to the movies buying tickets walking on a sticky floor trying to get there in time to get that middle - middle seat is just not worth it.

3D is the gimmick to get people to go to more movies but 3d tv's really did not sell well so do people really want 3D?

Until I have a 200 inch TV in my house (to mimic the size of the movie screen at my normal seating distances), I will be going to the theaters.

screw going to the movies.. I Took my daughter to see a matinée of the new Yogi Bear movie a couple weeks ago.. It still Cost 25 fucking dollars between the tickets a small candy & a small soda.. Thats 2 months worth of our netflix sub (w/ bluray) for 2 hours or so compared to my 4 year old getting to watch a pretty damn large selection of kids movies over & over.

only go to movies a few times a year.. mostly because we have a toddler and it's impossible to go anywhere... but I agree with the rest of you, shitty overpriced "food", obnoxious/rude people annoying kids (depends where you go to the severity of this), being stuck next to people coughing/sneezing/eating like pigs, sometimes bad quality film, sometimes volume of movies is ear bleedingly loud, 3D often sucks.. and we are paying for this experience??? lol... yes ocassionally it is worth it, like seeing avatar in the theater was awesome, but I can do without all the BS

lol...sugar is probably healthier than the butter they put on here. A medium bag of popcorn equates to 97 grams of fat. That's equivalent to a few burgers...

lol before I injured myself last year, I was on a health kick. I was jogging every day, eating healthier and all that jazz. I started to count calories on everything I was eating and was absolutly shocked to find out that an order of the pretzel bites (one of my favorite movie snacks) contained around 1000 calories with the cheese dipping sauce. The popcorn was even worse.

That's one of the reasons my friends and I stay away from the theaters. They're pushing the sound too far to the point that you walk out with ringing ears. I thought it was me getting older but the kids in my classes say the same thing. The Imax is even worse about that. To each his own though.

That could be true though I definitely haven't had any ear pain or ringing after movies here.

It's nowhere near rock concert or nightclub levels :p

8...........................| 90
6...........................| 92
4...........................| 95
3...........................| 97
2...........................| 100
1 1/2 ......................| 102
1...........................| 105
1/2 ........................| 110
1/4 or less................| 115

Here is the OSHA safe volume levels and for 2 hours it's 100dB. Granted the whole movie isn't at 100dB, so you could have 30 minutes of action scenes in a 2 hour movie at 110dB and the rest at 95 or so. With levels like this your hearing shouldn't be damaged, though I don't think this theater gets all that close to these max levels for sustained periods.

These times are also mean't for daily exposure too. I don't even see a movie every month. To damage your hearing from short one-time sounds they need to be much louder, around 125dB or so.

I like my sound in a theater as loud as possible so long as I don't sustain any hearing loss or have any ringing ears after. From my experience, other theaters around here at least are just too quiet for my taste.

My girlfriend and I hate 3d so we are boycotting the movies. $14.00 for a 3d movie that I don't even want to see is ridiculous.
We only go to the drive ins because they are so much cheaper. I just wait till it comes out on video and then buy it.

I also bring my own snacks to movies (if I didn't already just eat a meal before, which is more likely) because I agree with everyone the concession prices are far, far too high. I'm surprised more people don't do this.

Though believe it or not, I am an American and I can go for a whole 2 hours without any food! :p

I still hit the movies on occasion....but it has to be a blockbuster with really great effects that lose impact when transferred to the small screen via DVD/BluRay. Even then I go to the matinee and bypass the concession stand. The money I save on the bypass will buy the BluRay when it comes out. I can then compare the difference. All other movies, no.

no. movies aren't worth it. they are 10$ where i live a pop. then you have to deal w/ stupid teenagers making all kinds of noises.. & cell phones going off...etc..

it's just a waste of money.

want popcorn & a drink? another 10$. stuff adds up quick :mad:

My wife and I go to the movies about twice a month as a kind of date night thing. However, the total cost of this per month 28 dollars. So for $28 I get 4 tickets, 2 large popcorn, and 2 large cokes on the month. It's all about finding the right theater. When tickets are $2 dollars or less for a movie it makes it a lot more worth it. Although we've only go to the full price theater like every other year, if even that.

My wife and I go to the movies about twice a month as a kind of date night thing. However, the total cost of this per month 28 dollars. So for $28 I get 4 tickets, 2 large popcorn, and 2 large cokes on the month. It's all about finding the right theater. When tickets are $2 dollars or less for a movie it makes it a lot more worth it. Although we've only go to the full price theater like every other year, if even that.

Yea I Dont mind taking my daughter to the cheapie theaters... Problem is they dont get movies often enough.. The only Kids movies in the cheap theaters here right now are despicable me & megamind.. Both of which my daughter has seen multiple times already.

For a few movies, yes, it is still worth it. I go 2-3 of times a years. Not often, but occasionally. It's a nice experience every once in a while since I don't have the space or money yet for a media room to build my own theater.

Wow, for $ 7.89 (€ 5.75) I would go to the movies almost every week! :eek:

Regular cinema ticket prices are over € 9 ($ 12.42) here (=Belgium) for regular movies and € 11 ($ 15.17) for 3D movies (yeah we have to pay that much extra to wear those stupid glasses). Add to the fact that we get to see most "block busters" when you guys are already enjoying them on blu-ray and dvd and you get the picture.

And then the industry wonders why people don't go to the movies so much anymore and there is so much piracy. :rolleyes:

Is it worth it? Yes and No. Mostly No.

Reasons for going?
  • Married with kids? -- Need alone time, get out of the house. Movie selection matters, but doesn't even have to be a blockbuster.
  • Not Married, w/ Girlfriend? Occasionally worth it because it gets boring watching movies only at home. This is a social/change of environment choice. Mostly blockbusters or carefully selected movies for this.
  • Not Married, No Girlfriend? -- You might just be bored of being inside. Occasionally go to a blockbuster with a friend...or alone. Also generally more disposable income.

Reasons for not going?
  • Cost, Cost, Cost! - if you don't have disposable income, this is just a question of money.
  • Aside from movie ticket cost, food items are massively overpriced on purpose -- and they aren't very good. Verdict? no.
  • Home Theater system sounds & looks better.
  • More comfortable at home. Can PAUSE the movie.
  • Not concerned with most movies, even blockbusters can be waited out.
  • Social phobia/anxiety.
  • Parking is a PITA
  • Movie video quality is frankly....not that good.
  • Annoying people/texting/phones/rudeness -- anything else you can think of. If you can't handle this stuff, don't bother going. If you can handle it, its still marring your experience

Anyway....tons of things can be listed in more specifics. We should have the patience to wait for brand new movies to hit DVD/Blu-Ray/Netflix. Our culture is just spoiled with instant gratification and the movie studios and theaters know this, and they are exploiting it.

Personally I only go out to a few movies a year anymore mainly because nothing is actually a 'blockbuster' worth watching. If I go, its basically for a change of environment, thats worth a few extra bucks.

As others indicate, I don't go to the movies more than a couple times a year and I hate 3D movies.

My sound system sounds better than most thatres I've been to and the 63" tv is pretty immersive.

It's just not really worth it to me.

Sure movie theater is worth it if you have costco club. Buy the tickets at costco and they include 3d for 7.50 a ticket.

Watch before dinner showings and you won't get charged extra.

No the cinema has not been worth it for a long time, perhaps there may be some value to seeing a 3d movie with the current uptake and availability of technology and media otherwise definitely not. there's a long list of reasons why, here's some of mine.

1. going to a cinema is like eating from a trough, people munching and making all sorts of noise, crawling over people and the reverse, some boofhead always sits in front of you, the smell ra ra ra.

2. the average person has hi-def 40-50" tv so image quality is great at home, sometimes better than cinemas.

3. the average quality of films is poor and unpredictable, today it seems aside from the occasional spectacle television shows are king. i look forward to my favorite shows than any movies and quality is on average better and more predictable.

4. home comforts. eat/drink whatever you like and at supermarket prices $1 instead of $5-10 for the same size drink, cooked food, whatever you like. smokers and the weak bladdered need not suffer for the length of the film or miss key plot points whilst relieving themselves. you can also comfortably talk at home too.

5. walking out of a movie is hard even if its shithouse. pressing stop isn't.

i got free tix to see district 9 in gold class (cinema with large recliners, tables, less people and timed food and alcohol brought out) but previous to that kill bill 2 then war of the worlds. i have no reason to go i'm not 13yo anymore trying to get lucky with some girl.

I worked at a movie theatre throughout high school. During that time, and even now, I only go to the theatre when I can get in free. My best friend is a manager at the local theatre so that works out, but Most of the time, I prefer watching at home.

Half the time, I consider if I got my money's worth. If I were actually paying, the answer would be almost always 'No.'

Movie theatres suck. If they started incorporating like private skyboxes in them, I'd go. All the other ppl there just ruin the experience for me.

Our 50" TV does the wife and I just fine since we are already paying for cable ($55.00 monthly 120+ channels)

I use to take the kids to the drive-in movie(s) car load Sunday it was a blast and we brought our own picnic supplies and lawn chairs.

Haven't been to the walk in movies in a very long time.

I don't know how it is elsewhere but in my city almost none of the theaters are in HD. I get a nicer picture and better sound at home. Plus I've never been to a movie theater I can have a beer in. I don't go unless I'm forced to once every year or 2.

I only go to a handful of movies anymore. I'm in the DC Metro area and TRON Legacy was $16.50 a ticket and 3D only near me. I passed on that and I will probably pass on quite a few this upcoming summer if their prices are like that.

3D needs to die. It's stupid especially when only the shabby theaters get the non-3D versions. I've seen two movies in 3D (Avatar and Alice in Wonderland) and 3D didn't add shit to the movie. 3D just isn't worth the price premium and the eye strain.

Same here...closest theater regular price is up to $11.50 for a regular ticket I think (Ashburn, VA).

Back