Are motherboard chipset drivers necessary even when XP already recognizes the chipset

Super Mario

Limp Gawd
I need to install a fresh installation of Windows XP SP2 (SP2 is integrated on the install CD of course) onto a system with an Intel 875P chipset and a system with an NVIDIA NForce 2 chipset? I'm pretty sure Windows XP SP2 recognizes these chipsets without needing the manufacturers chipset drivers? However, does it still provide any benefit to install the manufacturer's own chipset drivers, even though Windows XP SP2 already has its own built in drivers for those chipsets which were released before Windows XP SP2?

Or are chipset drivers only necessary when Windows XP SP2 doesn't recognize the chipset like with all new motherboard chipsets that were released after Windows XP SP2?

Only that it's always going to benefit the system to have the latest chipset drivers in some small way.

Usually when installing a new OS go to the chipset web site and install the latest version then forget they exist after that. (assuming you reinstall once a year of course.)

I need to install a fresh installation of Windows XP SP2 (SP2 is integrated on the install CD of course) onto a system with an Intel 875P chipset and a system with an NVIDIA NForce 2 chipset? I'm pretty sure Windows XP SP2 recognizes these chipsets without needing the manufacturers chipset drivers? However, does it still provide any benefit to install the manufacturer's own chipset drivers, even though Windows XP SP2 already has its own built in drivers for those chipsets which were released before Windows XP SP2?

Or are chipset drivers only necessary when Windows XP SP2 doesn't recognize the chipset like with all new motherboard chipsets that were released after Windows XP SP2?

The manufacturer's drivers will also (usually) improve performance/stability compared to what is included with Windows, assuming they are newer.

The manufacturer's drivers will also (usually) improve performance/stability compared to what is included with Windows, assuming they are newer.

If they aren't newer, is there any benefit? Are the ones built into Windows the same as the latest version from the manufacturer at the time of the Service Pack release.

Are the ones built into Windows the same as the latest version from the manufacturer at the time of the Service Pack release.

In most cases, yes, but not always (it depends on the manufacturer and its relationship with Microsoft). To be on the safe side, you can easily check the version number in Device Manager and compare to what is online.

Lots of times, the motherboard disc will have drivers for sound section, or onboard nics, that MS doesn't provide. The same is true ,if your board happens to have onboard video.The latest driver PKG is usually available at the MB website.

Lots of times, the motherboard disc will have drivers for sound section, or onboard nics, that MS doesn't provide. The same is true ,if your board happens to have onboard video.The latest driver PKG is usually available at the MB website.

I know that. I was just referring to the chipset. I don't install the all-in-one motherboard utilities because they install more than just the basic drivers. They install lots of bloat with them. I just install the drivers for all the devices, and not the extra crap utilities that come with them.

lets put it this way...

when a new GFX driver comes out do you still stick with what was on the install-CD?

the chipset drivers on the disk are either just enough to get the system installed (ie to talk to the HD, read from CD...) or are the drivers that were avail at disk-burning

lets put it this way...

when a new GFX driver comes out do you still stick with what was on the install-CD?

Well, I might be a bad example, but yes,I do...
I don't update for the sake of updating....If it works fine for me, I leave it....With every new fix, comes 3 new bugs :)

Back