Are most 4890's voltage tweakable thru software?

Zarni

Limp Gawd
While I am not a big gamer,my 8800GTS 512 is having trouble running 1900x1200.
With the 5850's price staying high and the 4890's getting down into the $150's It seems the 4890 would be the best fit.

Of course half the fun of new hardware is trying to make it run a little bit better.
Doing a little research I saw that the Asus and some others were able to adjust the voltages thru software. I just can't seem to find if it is only certain ones that have the right regulators.

This is the one I am leaning towards.
If you happen to know if it has the right parts, Please share :D

The only ones I know for sure that do is the Asus. I don't think software adjustable VRM was in the reference design. Go over to 3Dguru forums, and they have a whole section dedicated to MSI Afterburner and someone there will give you a definite answer.

If I remember correct, that XFX 4890 are pretty much a rip off version of original 4890.

this is not a reference board, and it have lots of component cuts on it to reduce cost.

so if you plan to OC, this card is definitely not a good choice.

Any of the original reference cards are voltage tweakable with some minor modification to RivaTuner. The ASUS cards came with an app from ASUS to volt tweak them. Later cards, the XFX ones referred to above in particular, are non-reference and cut corners in board design to save on costs, and they don't OC or volt tweak for shit.

+1 for most XFX 4890's being cheapo cards (there are a few decent models, but most don't oc worth jack). I got two ZSFRs from best buy, which seems to be identical to the ZSFC that you linked to. One wouldn't OC, period. If I took it from 850MHz to 860MHz, the temp would jump up around 10%. The other can go to around 890MHz, and stay stable, but that still sucks.

I changed my MSI 4890 VRM voltage through rivatuner with a mod/tweak.
Stable up to 1000/1115 with 1.3875v, using stock cooling.

i have some msi oc cards that are voltage tweakable thru msi software called "afterburner", which also monitors, lets you program the fans, and does overclocking.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm

since this was developed with the rivatuner guys i would say you can probably modify it to run any "good" 4890 pretty easily. i think you can use these type progs to change vcore on some 4870's also, if they have the correct voltage controller chip.

i have some msi oc cards that are voltage tweakable thru msi software called "afterburner", which also monitors, lets you program the fans, and does overclocking.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm

since this was developed with the rivatuner guys i would say you can probably modify it to run any "good" 4890 pretty easily. i think you can use these type progs to change vcore on some 4870's also, if they have the correct voltage controller chip.

Thank You for the info.

The correct voltage chip seems to be the hardest thing for me to figure out.

I currently have an MSI 8800gts 512 and have played with the afterburner program a little.

But to be honest, I am getting a little discouraged by the prices staying at their current rates.The prices now are higher than they were over the summer,and I don't see any signs of them coming down too quickly.Maybe now that the 5800 series is staying in stock,after Christmas the deals may come back.

As I am only an intermittent gamer,I was waiting for the 4890 class cards to get into the $150 range before buying. I think half the fun for me is getting a good deal ,and then try to make it a better deal by overclocking it a decent amount.:cool:

At least this gives me some time to find out which cards have the right regulators.:D

Back