Are More Expensive Motherboards Better Motherboards? - [H]

I have never had an issue with throughput on realteks.

This I find difficult to believe. From my personal experience you could not pay me to use a Realtek based NIC. ANY Realtek based NIC. I consider them utter garbage. Not fit for any purpose. I wouldn't use them even in a budget build.

I test them all the time. The Realtek's usually work, but they are slower than everything else. I don't use audio cards these days. I just use an optical output to a receiver.

I still stick my old X-Fi Titanium HD in if I have a spare slot, just because I have it, but if I didn't I wouldn't buy one today.

Most of the time I still use the optical out to my external DAC, though I do occasionally use the analog inputs on the card.

I still stick my old X-Fi Titanium HD in if I have a spare slot, just because I have it, but if I didn't I wouldn't buy one today.

Most of the time I still use the optical out to my external DAC, though I do occasionally use the analog inputs on the card.

I get that. I'd still be using my ASUS' ROG Phoebus if the Windows 10 drivers were worth a shit.

I test them all the time. The Realtek's usually work, but they are slower than everything else. I don't use audio cards these days. I just use an optical output to a receiver.

That's a novel way to make games sound awesome.

What kinda headphones are you using?

I only use headphones when I play multiplayer games with friends. Then I just use a Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum headset. It has its own CODEC in the wireless receiver. So there is no connection to my actual audio receiver.

I'm not Dan, but I have a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC hooked up to my Titanium HD via optical out. That's connected to my Schiit Jotunheim amp, which powers one of two heaphones.

In the summer I usually use my 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's. The closed backed design helps with the summertime fan/ac noise.

When it's quiet I use my Massdrop HD6XX (rebranded updated Sennheiser HD650's) which I have modded with a "balanced*" connector.

IMG_20180725_215218.jpg

*Not truly balanced, just a separate ground per channel, which helps with crosstalk and allows my amp to drive more power to them.

If you're using optical out why bother with a card?

Because I have it. The optical out bypasses the DAC on the card, but I can still benefit in other ways. The high quality analogue inputs are one way. I recently used them when I dubbed a bunch of old VHS-C camcorder tapes.

In theory I also keep it in there to use the 3D Audio features with old titles using Alchemy, but to be honest it has been a LONG time since I last used that feature.

If I didn't have it, I wouldn't buy one, but since I do, I keep using it. Using anything labeled "Realtek" just doesn't feel right to me.

I've got sennheisers with a sennheiser dac/amp on one build and a steelseries arctis pro with it's own dac on the other

Trying to decide on an x570 board for a 3900x and I came across this thread looking in the motherboard forum here.

My first build was an MSI KT8NEO-FIS2R with an Athlon 3200+. I bought it because it was the only board with Cool n Quiet working at launch. It was a $150 board and I never had any issues. I couldn't oberclock at all because there was no AGP lock and the FSB affected the speed of everything. That was when SATA was fairly new and I even had a Maxtor drive working on it just fine.

Next build was with a Gigabyte GA58X-UD3R (something like that for the name). It's still running in my wife's PC. I started with a core i7-930 and 6 GB of RAM. That chip had to tie a record for the worst OC ever. I needed way too much voltage for 3.8 GHz. 4.0 was a pipe dream. I replaced it with a Xeon x5675 and now have 12 GB of memory. I ran it at 4.0, but after a year or so of very little stress, it started rebooting a lot for no reason and became unstable. I put it back to stock as my wife barely uses it. I'm not sure if it's the board or the chip.

My current rig is an Asus Z68V-Pro. I had my 2700k up to 4.8 for a while on water. I went back to air and dropped it to 4.5 where it has sat for years. The chip has degraded a little in spite of not really being run hard. I would get a reboot now and then and see a code that lead to more voltage needed. I bumped voltage just a bit and took care of the problem. It’s a decent clocker, so I'm probably still lower on voltage than average for 4.5.

I have a $50 MSI micro atx board for my server with a sandy 4 core Xeon in it. Can't remember the model. Bare bones board with minimal BIOS settings and not enough SATA ports. Stable though.

Overall, I'm happiest with the Asus board. It has the best BIOS, but it's also the newest, so that's no suprise. I'd like to stay with Asus for the x570, but I don't want to go over $250. Can't touch an ROG for that. I'm hoping one of the Prime boards has a good enough VRM set up.

[/wall of text]

Back