Are More Expensive Motherboards Better Motherboards? - [H]

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by FrgMstr, Mar 16, 2018.

1. MyNameIsAlex

MyNameIsAlex Limp Gawd

Tommrow on [H]ardOcp --- are girls that are more expensive to date worth it, or is the entry level model that wants to go to the cafe down the street once a week 'good enough'?

Review by Kyle Bennit

Denpepe likes this.
  2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

On some technical level that seems true, but I've seen fewer failures on the higher end motherboards for things like failing NICs etc. They are certainly more prone to driver issues and configuration problems due to the added hardware. But as the budget goes up on those motherboards with additional features, so does the attention to detail and the money the board makers are allowed to put into the design. That's not to say this is 100% true in all cases and there is a point of diminishing returns, but it generally holds true in my experience.

Keljian likes this.
  3. cyklondx

cyklondx n00b

I think the sweetspot is around $120-$150 for desktop mobo's (They typically do not offer too many useless gimmick features, while still offering same components as ones for $200) . Most common failures overtime on mobo's are usually result of poor psu's, heavy overclocking, or in general the mobo having issues from-get-go (while user may not notice it.) like having faulty resistors, or caps, that will grind down on its life quickly.