Are monitors at different distances good for the eyes, or bad?

wyem

Weaksauce
One of my monitors is about 3 inches behind my primary one. I use it for reference materials. I do not play games and there is no constant switching back and forth between monitors at a game playing or movie watching pace.

Is it good to have monitors at different distances, requiring the eye to slightly readjust its focus? Or is this a bad thing?

for eyes it will be neutral but your desk will look silly...

My eye doctor told me to follow the 20-20-20 rule, which is every 20 minutes look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Simply having your monitors at varying distances of only a matter of inches wouldn't be enough to prevent damage to your eyes.

At 1080P I have my 24" about a extra foot away and have coasters on the bottom on my web surfing monitor so I just slide my 21.5" monitor to the Right if I want to game.

Both are calibrated to perfection I have the 21.5 and have saturation turned down to like 38 so it's easier on the eyes and I can surf longer period of time without so much contrast from web pages.

Gaming on the other hand I like to think of it as rolling pixels that capture the eye but I have my BENQ turned down to the point where it's not too dark in games but I just switch the gamma over higher if I want to play a game with a lot of shadows.

Once you're an adult I don't think it really matters much. But there supposedly has been a bit of an epidemic of nearsightedness in young people, due to so many of them being indoors all the time. One of the more likely theories is that it is simply lack of enough full spectrum light rather than anything to do with focusing near vs far.

I think there may be some slight evidence that exercising the muscles of your eyes, by changing their focal length more often, can let you keep 20/20 vision a bit longer. Though most people will need reading glasses sometime in their late 30s into their mid 40s no matter what they do. Your whole life more and more cells are packed into your eye's lenses. And at some point around that age, your muscles no longer have enough strength to force the thickening lenses to focus at the full range you had when you were younger.

Monitors are bad for eyes in general, regardless of distance. They invoke quite an eye strain out eyes nto supposed to receive.

Distance does not really matter much altho the general advice is to avoid them to be very close.

The most important things is to make break every 30-60 mins.

Computer glare is one potential issue. So many people keep the monitor's brightness at the level it comes out of the box which is usually 100%. Not good to do that over long exposure. Be sure to set it at a comfortable level to help avoid strain.

Back