Are M-Audio BX5 D2 a good choice for simple PC speakers?

crb806

Weaksauce
Just planning to use them for gaming, movies, and music. I'm not sure I would classify myself a full on audiophile. Are there some others in the same price range($200) I should consider before I buy these?

Also what is the best way to connect this with a 1/8 to 1/4 Y cable or XLR to 1/8 Y cable or is there no difference?

1/4 cables are fine.
BX5 D2 is a good choice.

One thing to note is that there isn't a simple volume control. The volume control is for each speaker so you'll have to control volume via software or with a pre-amp of some sort.

1/4 cables are fine.
BX5 D2 is a good choice.

One thing to note is that there isn't a simple volume control. The volume control is for each speaker so you'll have to control volume via software or with a pre-amp of some sort.

I dont understand how it is different from any other speaker. can you explain?

I dont understand how it is different from any other speaker. can you explain?

On most computer speakers you have ONE volume control for BOTH speakers.

In the case of the BX5 speakers - and most studio monitors - you have a volume control on EACH speaker and that volume control only works for one speaker - not both.

The BX5 are active (powered) "monitor" speakers. Each speaker has their own built-in amplifier so they each have their own volume and power control. They take TRS (1/4") or XLR inputs.
You could connect them to your PC directly but you may not be pleased with them.
I have two BX5a and a BX10 sub that I connect to a DAC that is connected to my motherboard using optical S/PDIF. It sounds great.

i think you should consider t-amp + bookshelf speakers

something like this

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-50-TDA7492-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLGEQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

$69.99

and say
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117406

cheap and better (imho)

or it could be WAY cheaper depending on your luck right now I am listening to a Pair of Monitor Audio Silver S1 bookshelf speakers I paid $12~ for (i had to work on the finish a bit) but they sound amazing.

I also just got some B&W bookshelf speakers for $20~ and I have more JBL L1s $40 , Klipsch KG2.5 $50, B&O RL 60.2 $60... and more blah blah used speakers can be a bonanza of cheapness and awesome.

my rig

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
cheap and better (imho)

or it could be WAY cheaper depending on your luck right now I am listening to a Pair of Monitor Audio Silver S1 bookshelf speakers I paid $12~ for (i had to work on the finish a bit) but they sound amazing.

I also just got some B&W bookshelf speakers for $20~ and I have more JBL L1s $40 , Klipsch KG2.5 $50, B&O RL 60.2 $60... and more blah blah used speakers can be a bonanza of cheapness and awesome.

Where do you find those speakers at those awesome prices? Please tell me please. :)

Currently using a Lepai 2020A+ with the Pioneer BS41 and they sound great. I've been looking to upgrade my Lepai but haven't decided on a replacement yet. SMSL or Topping or something else.

Where do you find those speakers at those awesome prices? Please tell me please. :)

Currently using a Lepai 2020A+ with the Pioneer BS41 and they sound great. I've been looking to upgrade my Lepai but haven't decided on a replacement yet. SMSL or Topping or something else.

lol... apparently my super power is finding pretty awesome vintage stereo gear at rather low prices. My speakers / Stereo Equipment collection has come from a variety of sources, Estate sales, Pawn Shops, Thrift stores and a couple things from ebay (none of the OMG cheap stuff). While Honestly I HATE many things about living in the incredibly crowded SoCAL I think if I'm honest it has been part of the reason for so many rather great scores, Just a lot of people so a lot of stuff floating around maybe.

here is my $20 Onkyo Integra stack

:D (paid $20 for the M5030 (dual mono amp 100WPC) / P3030 Pre amp / T4087 and not pictured E-35)

as far as t-amps go ... I have had for 2~years I guess a SMSL SA-S3 t-amp, My cost about $60~ (shipped from China) I have been pleased with the SQ and build quality.

I also recommend a T-amp and bookshelf speakers. OP can probably spend under $200 and be satisfied, but even if he spends the same amount, he'll have advantages.

-Can upgrade speakers or amp individually
-If a speaker or amp dies, you can replace them separately
-Don't need to be able to reach the speakers to change the volume (most T-amps are easier to place on a desk so that they can be easily reached)
-One volume control (as mentioned previously)
-Better pricing
-Way better selection

etc.

Last edited:
I'm curious on how close a copy those monoprice units are. Anybody compare them?

i think you should consider t-amp + bookshelf speakers

something like this

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-50-TDA7492-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLGEQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

$69.99

and say
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117406

cheap and better (imho)

my rig

What kind of desktop setup is that? Did you add that top level on? If so please elaborate as I have something similar on my IKEA Frederick but my table top isn't that long

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm curious on how close a copy those monoprice units are. Anybody compare them?

Specs and build are pretty much identical - it's as if Monoprice sourced them from the same factory on the sly... There was talk of a lawsuit last year, that's how close a copy they are. I have a pair of these BX5 Monoprice clones and they look/sound great.

How would a T-Amp sound over something higher end like a Schiit Modi/Magni stack or Audioengine D1?

How would a T-Amp sound over something higher end like a Schiit Modi/Magni stack or Audioengine D1?

Well, which T-amp? T-amp just means the amp uses a Tripath chip for amplification, but they are not all the exact same. It depends a lot on the quality of the power supply and any power filtering inside the T-amp. Wall-wart type power supplies are usually of lower (sometimes MUCH lower) quality than power supplies built into audio equipment or computer PSUs. Also the distortion you get out of a Tripath chip (and in many other Class-D type amplifiers) depends highly on the impedance of the load, so make sure not to use difficult-to-drive speakers with an inexpensive T-amp.

T-amps can sound really good with the right power supply and speakers. Keep in mind that during proper operation, the amplifier provides by FAR the least amount of distortion of all the components in your audio chain.

Also worth mentioning a T-amp will power external speakers the modi/magni stack is a dac and headphone amp and the Audioengine is a dac.

The OP was looking at studio monitors for his PC, so a T-amp seems unnecessary... although in re-reading this thread, it seems he didn't know that studio monitors have built in amps. So, I guess anything goes at this point. :)

Last edited:
Honestly I would not recommend him to get the BX8a's anyway, he should atleast look into the BX5a's in that price range.

Back