Are low TDP GPUs phased out?

Faethon

[H]ard|Gawd
To my horror, it seems that GPUs like HD5450, 6450, are the last of their kind. By googling, seems that low TDP 7000 series are OEM only and in fact can't find them in any store.

I am suspecting that AMD is trying to force users that want low TDP GPUs to buy their APUs. Is that true or is it just temporary thing? I do have 2 HIS 6570, but at 55 euros, they aren't exactly cheap and the TDP is higher too. Cards at 20W TDP are perfect for many uses and cheap as chips.

I thought i heard they were OEM only for the 7000 series. Not sure if that'll change with 8000 series or not. Guessing profit margin was almost nothing on those cards probably didn't make any sense to keep them around when the APU's are close to their performance.

I thought i heard they were OEM only for the 7000 series. Not sure if that'll change with 8000 series or not. Guessing profit margin was almost nothing on those cards probably didn't make any sense to keep them around when the APU's are close to their performance.

This is exactly why. It has nothing to do with the TDP, but performance. APU's wipe out the low end video card market. Lowering TDP on high end parts is always a goal.

Thanks guys, just what i was afraid of. They want to push me to APUs. Well, maybe they don't make sense for them, but if you don't play games, a 5450@20W makes very much sense to me.

I 'd better grab some more while they 're still around. Next thing i know, i will be giving 100 euros for the cheapest GPU i can find.

Why? The onboard stuff keeps getting better.

Because i am not planning to move to FM2 socket. I have 4 AM3 processors, i plan to stay with them for a good while and only get a Steamroller 95W, hopefully. AMD doesn't seem interested in releasing onboard graphics chipset on AM3+ platforms (there is no "990g" chipset). The only modern game i play is Shogun 2, even the 5450 can play that. For internet and watching HD video, a 5450/6450 is perfect, costs very little and heats up only a little (i only use passive cards, i hate the small fan noise).

Because i am not planning to move to FM2 socket. I have 4 AM3 processors, i plan to stay with them for a good while and only get a Steamroller 95W, hopefully. AMD doesn't seem interested in releasing onboard graphics chipset on AM3+ platforms (there is no "990g" chipset). The only modern game i play is Shogun 2, even the 5450 can play that. For internet and watching HD video, a 5450/6450 is perfect, costs very little and heats up only a little (i only use passive cards, i hate the small fan noise).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, it would be nice to have at least some sort of apu happen for am3 but I don't see that happening.

I would guess that this is not possible. AM3+ has no connections for display outputs and no AM3+ chipset supports them. There may be an option for the successor of AM3+.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, it would be nice to have at least some sort of apu happen for am3 but I don't see that happening.

Yeah, i think that sales-wise, it was a mistake for AMD to separate the sockets. I don't expect them to give an APU for AM3+ now either... It's a shame because i am always a sucker for low TDP solutions and i would gladly buy a Richland CPU.

omniscence said:
I would guess that this is not possible. AM3+ has no connections for display outputs and no AM3+ chipset supports them. There may be an option for the successor of AM3+.

Yeah, maybe after Steamroller they will have unified sockets again. Shame, really, but unless there is a spectacular gain in Excavator or i have some unexpected needs, i don't think i will change socket for a good while.

Currently i have 1 AM2 (5050e), 4 AM3 CPUS with 4 AM3+ motherboards (which i plan to make 6, buying 2 more Asrock 970 extreme3 R2.0, to get USB3 header), 3 AM2+ Asrocks (780g, 790g) and 1 AM3+ Asrock board that can take either DDR2 or DDR3 and backwards compatible to AM2 CPUs.

I have very high compatibity betweem parts and a rig for every job i want, plus spares. To that, i want to buy a 95W Steamroller, for my video encoding rig. Be it 6 or 8 core, i don't know, as long as it beats my 1090T and stays at 95W. Currently the 6300 isn't powerful enough to justify the money and the 8320s are 140W really and already the 1090T releases a LOT of heat in hot summer here and temp hits 55C(socket) while undervolted, with a Xigmatek Balder.

So, since i am now only an occasional gamer, doesn't make sense to break the homogeneous parts introducing new socket for quite a while. I am very happy with the AM3 family, good performance, low heat and i have spare parts for everytthing.

So i guess i will buy a couple of HD6450s, just in case....I already have 2x6570, 3x5450, all passive and i am happy with all of them. That's the positive side of not being gamer anymore. With 60 euros, you get 2 HD6450 and you 're fine with them! :D

AM3 CPUs gave great flexibility. Specially for an ultra low TDP PC, i have the 605e undervolted (HW Monitor says package is 37.80W)+ HD5450 (in theory it's 20W, in reality it's even less according to the killawatt).. That's a total of 57W for both CPU and GPU. Granted. not as powerful as new APUs, but great if you want an HTPC solution.

Anyway, thanks, it's good to know that my suspicions were true. Better act before the 6450s disappear completely. I should be staying with AM3/AM3+ for years. So i may as well get spares for the GPUs too.

I think AMD will combine the AM3 and FM2 sockets into one standard, most likely called KM1 or something.

I think AMD will combine the AM3 and FM2 sockets into one standard, most likely called KM1 or something.

Yes, good move, even more since people who bought FM1 saw their motherboard becoming incompatible with new APUs a bit too soon.

At any case, KM1 will be too late for me. I wouldn't mind so much if there was a motherboard with integrated graphics in the meantime for AM3+, but that doesn't seem the case either... The only AM3+ mobos that come out are based on 760g, which is a regression compared to 880g.

So, i ll just get more 6450s... Sad though.

Back