Are Klipsch ProMedia amps prone to failure?

I've had my 4.1's since 2002 without a problem (knocks on wood) I bought a second set when i saw someone selling the for $50 locally. sure they crackle when you turn the volume up but i rarely mess with the volume knob. both my friends that had the 5.1's have had them die.

Get some tuner cleaner from RadioShack and spray that into the volume knob surrounding space. That should fix the crackling issue. It's caused by oxidization from using lower quality metal for the volume post. My Emu 0404 USB has the same issue on occasion and the tuner cleaner fixes it.

Like every other piece of electronic equipment out there(good or bad) they all stop making them after awhile.Klipsch did have some serious issues with the subwoofers that came with these fine speakers,but it doesn't take away at all the quality of the speakers and what is out there today in comparison.Good speakers still remain good speakers even after production is stopped,same goes for any other electronic equipment...

Hey guys my 2 year old Klipsch promedia died today. I was playing around with the volume knob trying to find an even volume then suddenly no more sound.

The green led light doesn't turn on, and the 2 fuses outside and inside the panel are intact. Nothing seems melted. What could it be?

Get some tuner cleaner from RadioShack and spray that into the volume knob surrounding space. That should fix the crackling issue. It's caused by oxidization from using lower quality metal for the volume post. My Emu 0404 USB has the same issue on occasion and the tuner cleaner fixes it.

I had the same issue / have the same issue with my 4.1s, I don't think it's oxidation, dust seems to get in between the nob and the contact area, I cleaned it out once, made a big difference

My 5.1 Ultra's died (won't turn on) and there's no sign of amp damage anywhere.
Anybody have the relay part #?

Instead of buying a separate receiver and using my old SVS sub, I'm hoping it'll be cheaper to try and fix the amp.

Update: It appears to be working now. I didn't notice the cat had chewed through one of the speaker wires creating a short. :eek:

I'll resolder the wires later and fire it up. :cool:

Update #2. It's alive! :D

Last edited:
My 5.1 Ultra's died (won't turn on) and there's no sign of amp damage anywhere.
Anybody have the relay part #?

Instead of buying a separate receiver and using my old SVS sub, I'm hoping it'll be cheaper to try and fix the amp.

Update: It appears to be working now. I didn't notice the cat had chewed through one of the speaker wires creating a short. :eek:

I'll resolder the wires later and fire it up. :cool:

Update #2. It's alive! :D

Since it still works, I'd seriously consider browsing the amp repair thread for instructions on adding cooling components - specifically heatsinks and a circulation fan.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1268387

These things are prone to breakage and if I would have known beforehand, I could have saved/prolonged mine.

I have had ProMedia 2.1 for well over 6 years and no amp failure. But then I don't drive the amp beyond its capabilities as I expect people with amp failure have done.

I have had ProMedia 2.1 for well over 6 years and no amp failure. But then I don't drive the amp beyond its capabilities as I expect people with amp failure have done.

Errm, most failures are from normal use. Klipsch used the wrong components for certain pieces which lead to common (almost a "when" not an "if") failures (mainly the AC/DC daughter board) related to excessive heat in the sub box (amp is in there). Your 2.1 isn't nearly as aggressive as a 5.1 system when it comes to the components required to provide a 500w amp.

I think someone measured temperatures reaching around 160+ farenheit for some of the components. Unless their milspec, it's only going to last so long. Heat kills electronics (hence why I add fans to all my important devices, original 2005 Xbox360 (still kickin' for 6years), routers, switches, modems, etc).

I never ran my 5.1 Ultra above volume 40, it was usually used at around 30-35. So abusing it is out of the question, I babied it.

Back