Are Klipsch ProMedia amps prone to failure?

CJan_NH

n00b
First off, thanks for looking :)

I have been using Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers for a few years now. Prior to recently they performed flawlessly. One day when I turned them on they started making crackling noises and then degraded into nothing but static and popping sounds.

All of the wires and connections look fine. I removed the cover to the amp and the fuse is intact, and all of the solder joints appear intact as well. The only thing odd is that the aluminum frame around one of the large black capacitors got very warm to the touch after only being on for a couple of minutes.

Do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone? These speakers are well out of warranty, so a factory repair is probably out. Are they worth fixing, or is it time to junk them and get something new? They were quite expensive when new, so repairing them would be nice if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help. Please accept my apology is this topic has already been covered. Prior to creating this thread I did a search here, as well as a google search and found nothing.

Well.. I have these 5.1 Promedia Ultra.. and the subwoofer stopped working

most likely an amplifier failure since I dont hear the normal poping noise when I turn them on
it sounds like is trying but nope

I talked to Klipsch costumer service and since the speakers are beyond the 1 year warranty. they are charging 60 USd to fix them.. parts and labor and shipping it back included in the price..
though you need to pay for the shipping to them..and I dont have the funds to pay that and the shipping since the subwoofer is damn heavy and dont want to know how much it will cost to ship that thing

$60 to have klipsch repair them is a steal. Do it. Those speakers are still worth quite a bit as an ebay search will show you. So, for about $100 you could get them repaired or spend $300-500 to replace them with something of the same quality. Unless you've been looking for an excuse to move to a 5.1 system just repair them.

Also, don't let anyone fool you. The logi's are great but they can't compare to the klipsch. You've got the best, enjoy it.

um I got the GMX 5.1 for 130 shipped from klipsch so yeah check their refurb/clearance area for deals.

spaceman said:
um I got the GMX 5.1 for 130 shipped from klipsch so yeah check their refurb/clearance area for deals.
GMX are not Promedias. They are a cheap set designed for people who want a stylish and cheap set of speakers. Go listen to a set of promedias and you'll NEVER confuse the two again.

I've ready too many threads about the sub dying to ever buy a Klipsch product

My Promedia Ultra 5.1 died after 2 years and one week.

Even though it only costs $60 plus shipping (and downtime) to get them repaired, I'm going with something else. The repair has only a 90 day warranty and I have read that a few people have had the amp repaired multiple times.

I may buy a receiver and keep the speakers and use another powered sub.

I wouldn't buy them again after reading of all the amp problems other people are having.

pretty much all multimedia speakers are prone to early failure. that's why i would never consider buying pc speakers. some people who have rmaed the pmus and the creative S700/750 have gotten two three four faulty sets in a row. :eek:

Mert said:
pretty much all multimedia speakers are prone to early failure. that's why i would never consider buying pc speakers. some people who have rmaed the pmus and the creative S700/750 have gotten two three four faulty sets in a row. :eek:

Speakers are speakers. It's not that they are PC speakers, its using cheap components to keep the cost down.

I haven't heard (read) of any other MM speakers having wide-spread failures. The 680s hummed a bit and the control pod design wasn't the best but they seem to be working. Same with Altec and Creative.

The Promedias seem to be dying off due to a consistent problem in the amp.

I am also dismayed by the fact that a respected speaker company offers a one year warranty on their system while a mouse and keyboard company offers 2 years on theirs.

I haven't heard the z-5500 but they seem to get very good reviews. I don't think they are necessarily inferior to the Klipsch in terms of sound production. It just seems that the Logitechs were designed around the idea of games and theatre while the Klipsch seem to be designed for music listening (but not necessarily pop or rock). It depends on how you intend to use them.

But one thing for sure, a system that doesn't work just sux.

sorry to hear you're having problems with your klipsch set. I've had my promedia ultra 5.1's for quite a while now and haven't had any problems yet *knocks on wood*

The rear channel in my Ultras has gone out. C/S and Front continue to chrun perfectly.

I've had it 11 months TO THE DAY.

I got this Re: What to ship:

Actually you can remove the amp from the sub and send it in.

To do this, you will remove the screws on the outer part of the back panel; none of the screws on the middle of the panel will need to be removed.

Once all of the screws have been removed; with your hands on the back of the sub panel slightly lift the front of the sub until the back panel is disengaged.

When the back panel is removed there are 2 speaker wires that connect the sub to the back of the amp; unplug the speaker wires and you are ready to go.

Thank you,
Rae Carr
ProMedia Customer Service
888/554-5665 ex 8539
A LEGEND IN SOUND

I've just experienced some slight intermittent popping after installing a Logitech QuickCam Pro with my Promedia 5.1s (actually the next night, not right after). I have a Logitech Elite Keyboard and MX500 mouse as well. The video cam is right next to the center speaker on the top of my monitor, but moving the cam did not help. The popping is really slight and more like a slight irritating ticking. Is my amp going out or is this something else? How can I find out for sure? The speakers are around 3 years old. Thank you. :confused:

....also, I tried playing some music in Winamp and it started playing then cut out and it seems really low and bass-like. The off switch on the controller doesn't make that sounds when you turn it off anymore either. Might be that I have to reinstall the Audigy drivers, but what do you guys think?

....doesn't sound like a driver issue as the music cuts in and out when I hit my speaker controller and sometimes when I use the volume control on my Elite keyboard. Sounds more like the controller is going out or the controller connection on the subwoofer to me. Ideas and how to fix?

lol funny thing yesterday, at bestbuy, I went to check out a few mouses... anyways.. the PC speakers were right across and I decided to check it out. There were these Klipsch Ultras 5.1 that was sitting next to some z-5500's that bestbuy finally has listed.

Anyways I already own the z-5500 and wanted to hear the Klipsch... and guess what? they were broken..... I went to a manager to ask them to hook it up but it already was and they told me to come back later after they put up another set lol :p

another funny thing.... the z-5500's cost 399 and these cost 359? or 379 hehe. :D

Good excuse to move to headphone setup hehe. 130$ Senn 580's and a 69$ Go Vibe will wtfpwn any PC multimedia speaker.

I was hoping my problem was only the control pod, but I may be out of luck. Here's a link to a thread at the Klipsch forum:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/477744/ShowPost.aspx#477744

What do you guys think? Should I just order a new control pod (Ultra this time as these are the only ones available) and see what happens?

I'm registering for the Klipsch forums today and will probably be calling Klipsch soon as well. Just wondering if anyone here has any of the same experiences. Maybe the 5500's for Christmas, hehe.;)

well i dont think its a klispch thing. i think its just subs in general. my car subs died after a year of quaking. my home sub died after a few years of quaking. my altec sub hasnt died yet but i dont quake on them and my klipsch is sitting in storage so i really can say how that performs but i have gone through a ton of subs PERIOD.

I reg. with Klipsch forums, but used my home e-mail so I'll have to wait until late this afternoon or tonight to start my first thread there. I'll probably have to wait until late this afternoon to call the customer service with my system info as well. In the meantime, I looked up my history at newegg and it looks like it's been just over 3 years since I ordered them. I never registered them and the one-year warranty is way expired. Any chance they'll still replace the amp inside the subwoofer for a decent price and it will be worth it? I may just buy a new control pod anyway........not sure yet though.

Some are talking about repair costs of $60 usa. And they will cover the return shipping to you. Excellent price.

If they require the sub and controller, should I remove the amp and send it and the controller only like mentioned above? I guess if I go this route, then maybe either they fix the controller or get a new one and then they just send the amp only and I install it.

Are Klipsch ProMedia amps prone to failure?

lol - thats like asking:

Was OJ Simpson realy guilty?

Does Bill Clinton have a problem with telling the truth?

Has Jennifer Lopez been had more than once or twice?

-okay, so you know where I'm going with this. of course the Promedias have amp problems which is (and has been) the very reason why I have ALWAYS been against them and why I will NEVER recommend them to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

I personally know of three people who have had to send their sub/amp back to Klipsch no thanks to them taking a crap on them which I think is a freakin' joke. you would think that Klipsch would have taken affirmative action on these subs and that they wouldve fixed the problem a long time ago. but no, they still continue to send out crap and unfortunately, people like my buddies are the ones who have to pay.

Actually.. I had one of the first rev's of the Promedia 5.1's. I registered the product when I bought it.. and about 6 months later I got a certificate in the mail from Klipsch that extended my warrenty 2 years(with an explanation of high reported failure rates)... About 5 months later they died. I sent them in and they sent me a new set, I got another 2 year extension.. they havent failed yet.. been about 2 years or so. I was very satisfied with Klispch customer support during the whole rma process, and they where quick. While we are picking on klipsch don't forget that many other multimedia speakers fail as well, including a large number of Z-680's.

I joined the Klipsch forum and here's the thread I started asking my questions in:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/623057/ShowPost.aspx

It has some interesting information in there and I thought it was a good place to start. After reading other threads in the Klispch forum and a few here, I may try to replace the amp only and maybe reseat the heatsinks inside before trying to send my unit into Klipsch (only if this is possible of course). Tonight I'll check all my connections and clean them if necessary. I've had this unit for 3 years and 3 months without problems, but paying $360 with shipping I was hoping they would last at least last five years. Looks like even if I would have received a 2-year extended warranty that they'd still be out of warranty. Funny, my Sony speakers bought in 1993 are still running strong on my Mom's computer.;)

....just called Klipsch technical support and they said to try hooking up headphones and if same problem through the headphones, then it is a controller or D-cable?(controller cable) problem. I can get either controller (original or Ultra) as a replacement. I'm guessing I should tell him the Ultra in this case as I've heard it is better and he told me not as sensitive as the other controller. If the music sounds fine through the headphones, then my sub amp is toast. In this case, he said send only the amp (and possibly controller, I'll ask again on this) and I pay for shipping to them plus $90 and they pay to ship the new one back. I also asked about replacing the amp myself with a better quality one at possibly the same wattage and he said this could cost me approx. $200 for this amp. Looks like an easy decision if it's the controller, but tough one if not. Anyone have any pointers or suggestions how to continue if the sub amp is toast? Thank you.

....ok, just got home from work and I tried an MP3 track in Winamp and it plays on (perfectly) and off (with really low bass-type sound); basically it just flip/flops between playing on and off throughout the approx. 5-minute song from Audioslave and I'm thinking pretty much 50/50 in this case. Now with the headphones the track just plays perfect all the way through, so it looks the amp is on the way out in the subwoofer and I'm either going to send it in or try and get a better quality one.........just not sure about shelling out the bucks for a better quality amp yet though. I do still need to clean all the connections later tonight and see what happens.

Just for fun, let's say I toss the subwoofer and controller. What are the specs I'm looking for in a receiver and another subwoofer to get them to work with the five satellite speakers? I guess this is now getting slightly out of the realm of computer audio. :D

Do you know the specs on these things (I'm assuming the regular is the same as the Ultra, but I could be wrong)? Is it 500W with 100W per speakers and then what for the subwoofer? I'm assuming I need to know this to get the right receiver and possibly subwoofer as well. Also, do you think my problem is definitely the amp in the subwoofer or is there a chance it might still be my controller? :confused:

SkaarjMaster said:
Just for fun, let's say I toss the subwoofer and controller. What are the specs I'm looking for in a receiver and another subwoofer to get them to work with the five satellite speakers? I guess this is now getting slightly out of the realm of computer audio. :D

SkaarjMaster,

Same problem here but I have the Promedia Ultras. Sub crackles and works sometimes but most of the time it doesn't after 2 years and a week. Headphones work.

Here's what I did ...

First I tossed the Klipsch sub out the window hard enough for it to bounce to the curb for Friday trash pick-up

Instead of repairing the amp for around $100 including the shipping (and waiting), I bought a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR503 7.1 receiver from shoponkyo.com. It sells for $199 but you get $10 off for signing up in their "club" and there is a 20% discount code mentioned on fatwallet.com which brings the price down to $150 shipped. It can be used in 5.1 configuration and is designed to handle the 6 ohm impedance of the Klipsch PM speakers. 3 optical inputs, component, variable crossover down to 40, quality remote etc. Check the specs.

Onkyo TX-SR503

Then I picked up a Dayton 12" subwoofer at partsexpress.com for $120 shipped. It also has variable crossover and volume controls and IMHO destroys the Klipsch sub (actually my amp/sub did that itself). Unfortunately I received one of the last ones because they have been discontinued.

Old Sub

But a new one is coming year end:

New Sub

Check out the comments on both of these components at avsforums.com.

If you can't wait, there is also a 10" in stock for only $99 shipped that gets excellent comments at avsforums:

10" Sub

These components all have 1 year warranty compared to 90 days for a repaired amp and the sound is substantially better.

I basically replaced the whole system but for $270, it's a nice deal. If you go with Onkyo's least expensive 5.1 receiver (HT-R320), I think you can get it for $93 shipped with the discounts I noted and the 10" sub for $99 which would make your replacement system only $192. You can also replace the Klipsch speakers with something better in the future. Best of all, you can remove that plastic control pod from your desk and use the remote instead.

If you decide to do this, I would act quickly because these are sale prices and if the free-shipping is eliminated from the sub deal, the price will be substantially higher.

I'm seriously disappointed in the Klipsch amp. Manufacturing defects happen and if it was just my set that failed I would be more willing to accept it as a random failure. But this was suppose to be taken care of in the previous Promedias. Mine are the Ultras but I have read plenty of other amp failure stories. Klipsch must be losing money each time it replaces an amp for $60 but I don't understand why I should have to shell out $100 to repair something that fails so soon after purchase.

This earns Klipsch a place on my "do-not-buy-from" list.

Good luck.

All right, this definitely gives me something to work with and then some! :)

Someone at another forum said that those satellites have a 4 ohm impedence. Maybe your Ultras have 6 and mine have 4. Anyway, do the satellites take 60W each like I suspected? I'll be back sometime soon to ask you some more questions once I decide the route I'm going. Thank you. :D

How would that new Dayton Sub-120 due on 12/27/05 work with the Onkyo TX-SR303?
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR303&modelid=37&group_id=1&detail=2

SkaarjMaster said:
All right, this definitely gives me something to work with and then some! :)

Someone at another forum said that those satellites have a 4 ohm impedence. Maybe your Ultras have 6 and mine have 4. Anyway, do the satellites take 60W each like I suspected? I'll be back sometime soon to ask you some more questions once I decide the route I'm going. Thank you. :D

How would that new Dayton Sub-120 due on 12/27/05 work with the Onkyo TX-SR303?
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR303&modelid=37&group_id=1&detail=2

Someone in another forum measured the Ultras and they are 6 ohm. I don't know what the Original PM were. Maybe you can find out on the Klipsch forum.

The sub will definitely work with it but I don't know if the 303 can handle the lower inpedance Klipsch speakers. They will work and sound fine but they may fry if the volume is too high. Check the speaker impedance on the 303 with Klipsch if you are interested in that one. I would recommend getting the smaller sub and the 503 receiver if you're trying to save money. The 503 is considered a nice receiver and this is a low price. The 10' sub may be better than the 12" for listening to music.

DrWho at the Klipsch forum is talking about the ohm problem and seems to think it shouldn't be any big deal.
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/2/637002/ShowPost.aspx#637002

The 303 says it's 4-ohm capable and the watts per channel (65W) is closer to 60W than the 75W of the 503. I'm also wondering about the DACs specs with the 303 at 96kHz and the 503 at 192kHz; maybe this alone would be a good reason to get the 503 instead. What do you think?

Oh, and I game more than listen to music, so anything I get will be for gaming first and music second. :D Hence, my name everywhere on the internet sort of after an Unreal character.

........also, I've looked at BestBuy online for receivers in the same price range and all of them seem to have 90-110 watts per channel. Is my logic correct in assuming that this will be too much for the 60W satellites or is there some adjustment that can be made easily for this? Please note that I'm not bashing the Onyko or anything, just looking around. :D Thank you.

Don't try to save $55 on the receiver if you can spend it. The 503 is very well regarded and has more and better features than the 303 (including binding posts instead of spring clips, 3 optical connectors etc). The only thing you will find close to its price is the Panasonic XR-55 which is $220 and up. The 503 is selling in stores for $250-$300. As far as being refurbished, I wouldn't know if there wasn't a sticker on the bottom that stated it was.

From what I have read, wattage doesn't seem to matter all that much when you are talking about small differences. Some lower watt systems sound more powerful than higher watt systems. 75 watts per channel I would think is good for the Klipsch and will power better speakers if you buy them later. I can't tell you whether 100 watts would be too much but I wouldn't count on better sound coming from a 100 watt system over a 75 watt system.

If you want that Onkyo deal, I would get on it because I believe the 20% off coupon on fatwallet.com expires on the 20th or 21st. And that's if they still have refurb 503s in stock. The silver one keeps coming in and out of stock but the black one has been steady.

As far as games, I've been playing COD and the explosions are more powerful than the Klipsch amp/sub. IMO. ProLogic llx/Game sounds best to me in surround sound while gaming.

I wasn't going with the 303 based on cost, but the fact that it was 65W per channel and closer to the 60W that the satellites are rated at. As long as you think 75W is OK, then the 503 may be better. Of course, 60W may be only what the amp was pumping into the satellites with the Klispch sub and they might be able to take more. I figured trying to get 90-110W would be pushing it though. Now all I have to do is find a subwoofer like that new Dayton one. I really do not want to wait another month or so. :confused:

Well, I think the 503 is OK because that's what I bought but I'm no AV expert. I wouldn't think a 15 watt difference or the impedance would matter unless you listen at full volume frequently.

As far as the sub, either get the 10" now or buy the 12" now while on sale and wait for delivery. Either way you'll get a good price on a nice sub.

Here's a forum discussion at avsforum.com about the Daytons:

Sub thread

What the heck is the difference between front firing and down firing?

OK, so it's the same deal, just don't listen at full volume. Since I'm guessing that full volume is insanely high for the receiver, then I guess I'll be safe. You got me sold on the 503. :D OK, so the Dayton 12" subwoofer isn't going to be available anywhere for about a month? What would be a good 12" substitute even if it was a little more expensive? I would like to compare a good 12" substitute with the Dayton 10" and order one of them on Monday or Tuesday. Although, the 12" isn't completely out of the picture, I just don't like the thought of waiting. Too bad my sub didn't fail a month or two ago, then I'd already have it, hehe. ;)

....Connections? Let's say I get the 12" Dayton (and the 503 of course) and without seeing the back of the Dayton (any pics of this? :confused:), this is what I think I need to do so far (yes, I DLed the Onkyo manual):

1. Hook/wire my five 5.1 satellite Klipsch speakers into front, center and surround (not surround back, I guess this is for 7.1 systems).

2. Plug the Dayton powered subwoofer into the subwoofer pre out. Is this what I need a RCA cable for? Does it come with the receiver or subwoofer or do I need to get one? If so, then what kind of RCA cable do I ask for? If not RCA, then what kind of cable connection do I need for this?

3. I have 3 jacks coming out of my Audigy2 card (front, rear and center), but these are only 3 connections. Do I need a Y-splitter for each so I can connect to the DVD section (front L-R, white and red; surround L-R, blue and gray) and then just plug the center one straight into the center (green) slot? Do I also need to connect something to the subwoofer (purple) slot (also in this DVD section) and what exactly?

4. What the heck do I set the voltage selector for? I'm guessing 220-240.

I believe that should cover it, but I still haven't seen the back of that subwoofer.

5. I just realized that if I get this receiver, it will make it easier for my to record my record albums as my stereo system is far away from the computer in another room. Instead of bringing the computer to the stereo, I can now bring the phonograph to the computer. :)

Crutchfield has the receiver for $259.99:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9S7M4JO71ZG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=580TXS503B

Apparently, reseller ratings says don't order from PlasmaBay, MyDigitalUniverse or ShopSunshine (3 cheaper prices at fatwallet).

wonkman said:
Instead of repairing the amp for around $100 including the shipping (and waiting), I bought a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR503 7.1 receiver from shoponkyo.com. It sells for $199 but you get $10 off for signing up in their "club" and there is a 20% discount code mentioned on fatwallet.com which brings the price down to $150 shipped. It can be used in 5.1 configuration and is designed to handle the 6 ohm impedance of the Klipsch PM speakers. 3 optical inputs, component, variable crossover down to 40, quality remote etc. Check the specs.

Onkyo TX-SR503
Hmmm...hawt deal, had to jump on that.

Still, that's more than I can spend this month already (just upgraded a Radeon X800XL to a 7800GT), so passing on the sub for now.

Any way you suppose to use the Klipsch Promedia sub with this? Presumably, I can leave the pod connected to it and plugged in, and when splitting the X-Fi outputs to the receiver, instead of plugging the sub connection into the receiver, run it down to to the Klipsch sub? (That would require a...weird...adapter to plug into the sub, though)

Or I suppose I could just run the sats without the sub for a bit.

(Ummm...actually, I've been meaning to dump the multimedia system for a set of studio monitors for some time, and this would be a great opportunity. Nothing wrong with the Promedia 5.1 Ultras other than I simply have the 'upgrade' bug. So...umm...anyone want some Klipsch 5.1 Ultras? :p )

There are instructions that come with it of course. If you want to hook it up as soon as it arrives, you just need to get 2 cables. Both are cheap at Radio Shack :

1. 1/8 Minijack to coax (RCA)
2. RCA to RCA

The first one plugs into the digital out on your audigy 2 and the other end into digital in on the 503.
The second goes from the pre out on the 503 to the sub.

Hook the speakers up without the surround-back and leave the voltage alone. Adjust the receiver settings according to the instructions.

done. :)

Edit: If you want the Audigy to do the decoding then you will need 3 cables with a stereo minijack on one end and two RCA connectors on the other.

i gave up on computer speakers a while back. I had altec lansing ALC641 which are still working great (2 sets actually), and those seem to be really sturdy.

however, i then decided to buy some z680s (who's amp fried after about 20 mintues of light us), and then i swapped them out for promedia ultras who died after about a week. I then bought home theater speakers and a decent receiver and will never turn back :)

I spent 500 bucks on headphones and an amp and enjoy 3000+$ speaker quality :)

Regards,
Mike
(Team Headphone!)

I finally cleaned all my connections and no change. Same ol' headphones work and sub does the going back and forth between working and very low bass thing. Before I totally give up on this Klipsch sub, is there anything besides the fuse (not completely out so fuse is probably still good) on the inside that I can tinker with (of course I'll leave it unconnected from power for a day before I start)?

wonkman, so instead of having three cords coming out of my Audigy2, I only need one digital out? Is there any reason I would want to still have 3 with this setup? Any advantages to letting the Audigy2 decode vs. letting the receiver decode?

Also, I'm not sure whether to get the new receiver from Crutchfield for $259.99 or the refurbished one from Onkyo for $199.99. What do they do when they refurbish them?

Back