Are Kaby Lake CPUs compatible with Windows 7?

Yeah,
last modern CPU to have compatibility and MS updates might be Skylake-X and that is not a guarantee as seems information on it can be yes supported by Microsoft and others say no.

Cheers

Skylake-X is the same as Kaby and Ryzen.

Skylake-X is the same as Kaby and Ryzen.
Shintai do you have a recent article on that?
Just that I saw a forum support post (not here) where they have had both answers directly from Microsoft depending upon who they asked the question to.
I can see reasons for it being either decision outside of the special cases that Microsoft support with certain companies, although I would expect no support but with mixed messages difficult to be sure.
Thanks

Last edited:
Shintai do you have a recent article on that?
Just that I saw a forum support post (not here) where they have had both answers directly from Microsoft depending upon who they asked the question to.
I can see reasons for it being either decision outside of the special cases that Microsoft support with certain companies, although I would expect no support but with mixed messages difficult to be sure.
Thanks

April 13 isn't recent enough?

Try run Windows Update with an unsupported OS on said CPUs.

April 13 isn't recent enough?

Try run Windows Update with an unsupported OS on said CPUs.

Although the support is disabled at a CPU level rather than technically socket.
It does not specifically state Skylake-X, depends upon whether Microsoft interpret that as a new CPU or part of the Skylake range in terms of (6th generation), while Kabylake-X will be disabled.
Microsoft refer to the blocking based upon generation 7 onwards for Intel:
This error occurs because new processor generations require the latest Windows version for support. For example, Windows 10 is the only Windows version that is supported on the following processor generations:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors
-------
We recommend that you upgrade Windows 8.1-based and Window 7-based computers to Windows 10 if those computers have a processor that is from any of the following generations:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation "Intel Core" processor or a later generation
  • AMD seventh (7th)-generation (“Bristol Ridge") processor or a later generation
I agree that it is more likely to be blocked, but like I said conflicting reports specifically with regards to Skylake-X and with some receiving conflicting information depending upon who they talk to in Microsoft - this may be related though to those companies with special contracts and hence the confusion internally.

Cheers

Last edited:
Its disabled on SKL-EP, does that answer it?

And SKL-X/SP/EP uses a KBL PCH.

Its disabled on SKL-EP, does that answer it?

And SKL-X/SP/EP uses a KBL PCH.
Like I said Microsoft can disable this at a CPU level and not necessarily at PCH/socket.
And like I said, Microsoft infers by Intel's generation identifier for CPUs relating to the message on blocking update.
I agree it is less likely it will be supported, but then the information is confusing out there, and that is ignoring the aspect I just quoted from Microsoft in my previous post pertaining to the blocking message.

Microsoft said:
We recommend that you upgrade Windows 8.1-based and Window 7-based computers to Windows 10 if those computers have a processor that is from any of the following generations:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation "Intel Core" processor or a later generation
Cheers

I have a few quick questions:

1) for OEM manufacturers not listed among the 16 co., for e.g., co. like gigabyte, Asus, what happens if it's a 6th generation CPU running win 7, would there be any problem, especially after July 17, 2017 (or has that been extended)? Would Microsoft send you any error mesg.?

2) for people using the newer chipset, for e.g. B250M, and run win 7, say I turn OFF any or all of the update, (assuming security is not a concern for the sake of this conversation) would that work or would microsoft still try to send to warning mesg. all day?

1) for OEM manufacturers not listed among the 16 co., for e.g., co. like gigabyte, Asus, what happens if it's a 6th generation CPU running win 7, would there be any problem, especially after July 17, 2017 (or has that been extended)? Would Microsoft send you any error mesg

Windows 7 extended support ends Jan 14, 2020. Until then you will not receive updates unless you run the new hack that disables the artificial lockout for Skylake/Kaby Lake/Ryzen CPU's.

2) for people using the newer chipset, for e.g. B250M, and run win 7, say I turn OFF any or all of the update, (assuming security is not a concern for the sake of this conversation) would that work or would microsoft still try to send to warning mesg. all day?

It would work assuming you didn't get the update that introduced the artificial lockout. Not installing updates is a bad idea though.

It would work assuming you didn't get the update that introduced the artificial lockout. Not installing updates is a bad idea though.

tell me, what is a likely scenario to an user w/ router/firewall, use Chrome, but w/o update?

So you really think the vulnerability in win 7, has a good chance for someone to hack thru, because the closest I have seen, is the bug in Java, but that has nothing to do w/ win 7

So you really think the vulnerability in win 7, has a good chance for someone to hack thru, because the closest I have seen, is the bug in Java, but that has nothing to do w/ win 7

The main attack vector is social engineering and 0day exploits or outdated applications. This extends far beyond a browser, OS and such. But the more weak points the easier to exploit.

But what's the issue really? Why dont you upgrade for FREE to Windows 10? Its not going to get better in the future and Windows 10 isn't going to be replaced with a magic Windows 7 clone. Its dead, outdated and gone.

microsoft already announce win 10 support will expire by 2026. So I assume there has to be a new ver. of windows eventually. I can wait for that one. I already paid for win 7, and if you read Custom PC Nov. 2016 survey, they showed the world wide survey of the no. 1 OS, guess what? is Win 7.

Back