Are Iwaki pumps still the best?

Alright, after having two Via Aqua 1300's break on me, and my Hydor l30 tonight froze up and I was saved by my overheat protection, I'm going to be getting a good pump. No more of this little wussy pump crap. I want the flowrate and reliability. I know eheim has always been the old standby, but I've heard that Iwaki>all. Currently I run a non-res closed loop with a Maze3, a zchip block, and a Maze4-gpu block connected to about 4 feet of tubing (give or take a foot) and a chevette heatercore. I know Iwaki's come in both American and Japanese motors, and one is significantly better. Which is which and which is better? Are there other better pumps, and don't tell me a mag3 or 5 that I gotta seal against leaks. If I'm gonna shell out money for a pump, it damn well better work right the first time. I can spend up to $150, so let me know if there's anything better.
Cathar, you around? I KNOW you know.

From what I've read the Japanese motors are much better than the American counterparts, but I haven't used either personally.

ITs huge, its ugly, its eheim 1250 :)

2.5 Years and still pumping.

starts/stops guestimated 1000 times

didnt he say he wants the besT? eheim is good, buty not the best...i would get iwaki for sure, never used one, but heard awesome things about them...gonna have to find someone who know their stuff tho, dunno which is better(japanese or american)

Iwaki mdrz20 or what ever the japanese motor variant is.
hands down for a basic loop thats the best...need more? upgrade to the mdrz30 varient.

Alco whoever said Cathar dont post here....he does post here still...he just hasnt said anything in a while :p

Models with the WMD designation have American made motors
Models with the MD designation have Japanese made motors

RLT variants are designed to handle back pressure, so they would be ideal for a water cooling application.

RLXT variants are not designed to handle back pressure, so they're probably not the best choice for water cooling.

Japanese versions are better but are way more expensive.

Originally posted by boardsportsrule
didnt he say he wants the besT? eheim is good, buty not the best...i would get iwaki for sure, never used one, but heard awesome things about them...gonna have to find someone who know their stuff tho, dunno which is better(japanese or american)

of course its the japanese stuff that is better, name me one product that americans build better than the japanese. better quality of mechanics, structure, and details

--and do you know what a fully decked out Nissan skyline GT-R could do? only a v6 too:D car modding in japan is tight, everything is for performance and fully functional in some way, its not like how these kids over here throw on stickers and huge f'ing wings and heavy rims to just slow down their cars:eek:

i dont know for performace eheim might not be the best but its got to be atleast upthere on the ranks.. but for stability and durability cant go wrong with it eheim takes the cake with that

like someone said before "its big its ugly" but its always there

i would go with the eheim better safe then sorry cause you know its going to perform its little ugly ass out

cant agree more on that eheim thing.

Eheim is just reliable, and that is what you want with watercooling. 1250 is perfect imo.

Eheim may be reliable, but Iwaki is moreso. I'm just checking to find out models and recommendations from experienced watercoolers here.

Go to your local firefigther stash, and ask them a pump they use for firefighting.

That pump is one of the worlds most reliable pumps there exist. Not kidding. And if you hook it up to a 100HP engine you'll get sufficent flow too:D

If you want a reliable pump Eheim is pretty darn good. Next would probably be Central Heating pumps... The ones that are used for the central heating of your house. 30 to 60 watts, and build for 24/7 or even modulated speeds 10 to 100% speed.

Originally posted by maxkilling
Eheim is german.

So is the fastest car sports car.

riiiiiight. So what is the fastest sports car?

are you talking top speed or handling?
there is no "fastest sports car".

Did any of you even read this guy's original post? We all know Eheim makes great pumps, but he wants the BEST. Iwaki makes the best, and he is asking for what makes and models work the best. NOT what you think of your Eheim pumps. I don't want to be a hard ass and get yelled at, but answer his question, don't just post to get your post count up.

Originally posted by Deadlierchair
Did any of you even read this guy's original post? We all know Eheim makes great pumps, but he wants the BEST. Iwaki makes the best, and he is asking for what makes and models work the best. NOT what you think of your Eheim pumps. I don't want to be a hard ass and get yelled at, but answer his question, don't just post to get your post count up.

Whether or not Iwaki is better than Eheim is debatable. Both brands have had their fair share of problems from what I know in the aquarium field. Reliability wise, though, they're certainly among the top hobby pumps.

Since he's not willing to spend more than $150, I would reccommend the Iwaki MD-15RLT or the Eheim 1250. The other Japanese made Iwakis are too expensive and I don't know much about the American made ones.

Originally posted by maxkilling
I Was told Porche's are the fastest sports cars.

hate to threadjack, but that made me giggle. they're nice, sure, but the fastest production car used to be (and still is, i believe) the mclaren f1, topping out at 240.73mph. was around $800-900k when it was being made.

as for the original post...eheims are great, yes, but if you want absolute no-compromise total 100% BEST, the iwaki jap pumps are the way to go. if you have the cash, get one...that's my next purchase :> :>

Originally posted by DirtySanchez
hate to threadjack, but that made me giggle. they're nice, sure, but the fastest production car used to be (and still is, i believe) the mclaren f1, topping out at 240.73mph. was around $800-900k when it was being made.

as for the original post...eheims are great, yes, but if you want absolute no-compromise total 100% BEST, the iwaki jap pumps are the way to go. if you have the cash, get one...that's my next purchase :> :>

the F1 has supposedly been topped by Chryslers new badboy..forget the name tho :p

either way tho for $150 he could get a japanese made 20md(WTFever) is a decent buy.

Originally posted by Deadlierchair

amen to that :D cmon you guys, he doesnt want to know what you think of ur eheim, he knows they are good...but it's like comparing a sp97 to a slk-900U, the slk is a great heatsink, but the sp97 is still better...BTW: i live in hood river, about 60 miles away :D alotta ppl in oregon oc it seems!

Originally posted by DirtySanchez

fastest car?? acceleration or top speed?

Koenigsegg CCR

0-100 km/h in 3.2s
Topspeed 395 km/h (around 246mp/h for u imperial folks)

Who cares about cars? this thread is about pumps. As for Iwaki pumps, i've been searching and cant find a price on one (yeah im bad at the internet =P) but I have heard there is nothing better when it comes to pumps. Assuming you have the hundreds to spend .. go for it. I promised myself I wouldn't use the word eheim in this entire post (but I guess I just did ... damn :p ). Anyways gl to you, and guys lets stop talking about cars.

there is no fastest car. Damn people, a top fuel drag car does 0-100MHPH in less than a second, but it is not going to be faster around tight corners as an autocross super-modified, which has a top speed under 70 MPH.

on the issue of pumps, I would say that I would be more interested in what pump was most reliable rather than which is the most powerful.

also, lingenfelter doesnt count anymore since his accident that put him in a coma. All his customers cars are just sitting there waiting for him to recover or get sent back.

Originally posted by boshi
there is no fastest car. Damn people, a top fuel drag car does 0-100MHPH in less than a second, but it is not going to be faster around tight corners as an autocross super-modified, which has a top speed under 70 MPH.

on the issue of pumps, I would say that I would be more interested in what pump was most reliable rather than which is the most powerful.

also, lingenfelter doesnt count anymore since his accident that put him in a coma. All his customers cars are just sitting there waiting for him to recover or get sent back.

hence the reason i asked if he was reffering to acceleration or top speed.

Originally posted by SKiTLz
hence the reason i asked if he was reffering to acceleration or top speed.

those arent the only two factors in how fast a car is, you also need to think about handling.

those arent the only two factors in how fast a car is, you also need to think about handling.

well then you need to think about the track...

your right.. theres too many factors to name the fastest car...

Hate to thread crap but thought I would give you the correct standing for John Lingenfelter. He passed Dec 25. You can read more about the events leading up to it here.

Now back to water pumps.

Originally posted by bobmanfoo

--and do you know what a fully decked out Nissan skyline GT-R could do? only a v6 too:D car modding in japan is tight, everything is for performance and fully functional in some way, its not like how these kids over here throw on stickers and huge f'ing wings and heavy rims to just slow down their cars:eek:

skylines are 2.6liter I-6 twin turbo at the factory, and they never dropped a V6 in even after tuning cuz that would decrease performance and mess up engine balance
skyline

Hey everyone, not to be an ass or anything but we have jacked the guys thread enough with car talk (myself included). Take it to the Car Forum for further discussion. Let them get back to the debate over Iwaki vs Eheim pumps.

Back