Are IRQ "conflicts" still a cause of concern with Windows 10?

Quiz

Gawd
If I place my sound card in a PCIe x16 slot, it has the same IRQ as my graphics card and some other thing. If I place my sound card in a PCIe x4 slot, it gets its own IRQ not shared with anything else. I remember IRQs used to be something to worry about back in the day. Is having the same IRQ for multiple things still something to worry about?

If I place my sound card in a PCIe x16 slot, it has the same IRQ as my graphics card and some other thing. If I place my sound card in a PCIe x4 slot, it gets its own IRQ not shared with anything else. I remember IRQs used to be something to worry about back in the day. Is having the same IRQ for multiple things still something to worry about?
probably not. i havent thought about it in 15+ years. unless your doing pro audio, which it might affect, i wouldnt worry.

back in the day, interrupts were physical lines attached to pins on an interrupt controller. The controllers were very primitive could only tell that an interrupt had been requested, but not which device was doing it.

Today, interrupts are actually messages and more advanced controllers know exactly which device sent it.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they were lol. Like the 24 year old legacy code inside Windows that still today makes it vulnerable.

I remember the rebuild lottery around the turn of the century.

"Arrrgggh nooooo my HDD, soundcard, usb controller and Banshee card all sit on the same IRQ!"

Great days.

wow .. I had forgotten all about IRQ conflicts .. that was a ... dark .. time in my life.

I remember the motherboards with dip switches for IRQ lol
My first overclock was with dips. Rig failed to boot, even after resetting them, and I freaked. Luckily I had the mobo manual, and it taught me about resetting the CMOS in these situations. Stupid Slot A Athlon couldn't handle a 10% OC :), well not before getting gold fingered.

My first overclock was with dips. Rig failed to boot, even after resetting them, and I freaked. Luckily I had the mobo manual, and it taught me about resetting the CMOS in these situations. Stupid Slot A Athlon couldn't handle a 10% OC :), well not before getting gold fingered.
Not to forget such CP/M gems like Modem7, with all its config files for different modems plus the different IRQs for COM1: and COM2:. Naw, I don't miss any of that. :ROFLMAO:

Back