Are Iiyama Monitors any good?

Frosteh

2[H]4U
I've been looking around at getting an LCD widescreen monitor recently, i want to get a large screen which is also good for gaming which can be an expensive mix as I've found out.

my current CRT is a fantastic piece of Iiyama engineering and figured the quality they put into their CRTs would work its way into their LCD's but have no real evidence to suggest either way so far, i've found little in the way of reviews of Iiyama monitors.

Does anyone own an Iiyama monitor, if so can you post pics and some info on your experience with it so far, that would be great!

Also currently I'm waiting for their 22" model to surface in November, it sports a 5ms response time from black to white to black which I hear is often mis-quoted in monitor specs and some that have 5ms are actually talking grey to grey times and not black to white. it also comes with a 1000:1 contrast ratio which none of the other 22" models I've found can seem to manage.

Is it worth waiting for this new model or should I just look at the current alternatives and pick one of them?

I'm assuming that they're not very popular as no one seems to have experience with them.

The specs look pretty impressive for the price although it uses a TN tech for the screen, a 5ms response for true black-white-black and not grey to grey is quite good though?

I think response times will be more important to me as I mostly play games on my rig.

Not sure about their LCD, but their CRT back in the days were pretty good. I would assume by now they would've been up there with CTX at least if not equal to viewsonic. They must've took a wrong turn somewhere along the way.

I've used them in the mid 90s and they were a pretty solid brand at the time, better than viewsonic.

Well they almost exclusivly sell LCD's now (only 1 current model of CRT) and all the company make is displays, so I'm guessing by the fact they're still around that they must be making pretty decent displays.

What little reviews of their displays I've found appear to be quite positive.

if the quality of their LCD's are anythnig like the quality of my Vision Master Pro 454 19" CRT then I expect very good hardware, I just don't see any proof either way at the moment. The specs seem impressive though.

Iiyama doesn't manufacture LCD panels, but I'm sure they'd select a good panel as they have a good reputation. I have seen some professional use Iiyamas that were very expensive but also were good enough color wise for professional use. If that's your concern, then I'm guessing it will be a good choice.

My main concern is the overall quality, I'd like a decent quality monitor.

Im not too worried about viewing angles, I'm more worried about ghosting but with a B-W-B response time of 5ms that's got to be a non-issue right?

I'm not going to be using it for any professional 2d artwork design, the most I'll use it for is 3DSMax and other 3d modeling.

It's primary use will be divx/xvid/dvd videos and tv epsiodes, then next would be gaming (the most important), I also spend a lot of time on the desktop so I suppose text has to render sharp and clear.

I'm ideally looking for someone thats had some first hand experience with their newer monitors and can give some feedback.

I have a 22" Iiyama 510 CRT and its marvellous.
I used to sell tons of Iiyama's and they have proved to be an absolute classic, top quality, very good reliability and decent prices.
Their support is tremendous.
When a monitor failed, they shipped a new one and picked the faulty one up at the same time.

My projector uses a 15" Iiyama E380-S LCD, it has been fantastic for 2 years now.
From my experience, Iiyama specs are true to their word.

I am biased for iiyama because I used to sell them online. They usually use high quality panels and tubes for their LCDs and CRTs and tune them up pretty good.

Chernobyl1 said:
I have a 22" Iiyama 510 CRT and its marvellous.
I used to sell tons of Iiyama's and they have proved to be an absolute classic, top quality, very good reliability and decent prices.
Their support is tremendous.
When a monitor failed, they shipped a new one and picked the faulty one up at the same time.

My projector uses a 15" Iiyama E380-S LCD, it has been fantastic for 2 years now.
From my experience, Iiyama specs are true to their word.

This has been more or less my opinion of their CRT's ever since my 19", there was only ever a few 19" CRT's sold that could manage 2048 1536 @ 75hz

It's strange that no one seems to wants to review their LCD monitors online, I can't find any decent reviews of any of their newer models. I think I trust the company enough to buy a 22" brand new model without any reviews etc, but I'd still like to be sure about it before hand if possible.

It's hard to find a lot of reviews on info on Iiyama because they dont manufcture product for the US anymore. They are pretty much only a player in Europe and Asia. This happened last november or so when they went into the japenese equivelent of chapter 11.

travbomb said:
It's hard to find a lot of reviews on info on Iiyama because they dont manufcture product for the US anymore. They are pretty much only a player in Europe and Asia. This happened last november or so when they went into the japenese equivelent of chapter 11.

Oh I didn't know that, sort of explains the lack of reviews then.

I suppose the question is, are there any suitable 22" widescreen monitors out at the moment with decent specs for gaming which are done by respectable companies?

Back