Are heatsinks necessary for NVME SSDs?

jonwil

n00b
I have a Crucial CT500P1SSD8 500GB NVME drive as my main disk on a Gigabyte H170M-D3H motherboard and it currently has no heatsink on it (and has never had one since I bought it). Recently had some problems with my system and the computer repair guy said my 250GB Samsung SSD had died (many years old so its not the most surprising thing) and that a stress test (using his own SSD and etc) found no problems with the RAM, CPU, GPU etc. The whole system (including the Crucial SSD) seems to be working right now but hwinfo64 does show a "drive temperature 5" value of 75C in the "maximum" column and current temps around 62C or so. (the other 2 temperature values are at 44C or so) Should I head to the shop and buy a heatsink (I dont think the motherboard came with one and if it did, I can't find it) or am I fine to just keep going without a heatsink?

And if I do need a heatsink, what sort?

Its not needed for most use case scenarios. Its a good idea if you do large data transfers often. I bought a cheap thin one for $5 off ebay just in case.

I used one on a ADATA 6000 as that cooked. Almost too hot to touch even when not being used. The others I use are fine they just get warm under high use. Some warmth is good for Flash.

As for what heatsinks. Look up the raspberry Pi heatsinks on Ebay or Amazon. They fit nicely on the controller.

Those temps seem a bit high compared to mine. My main drive shows a Max Temp of 40C and seems to run around 32C according to HWInfo64

My Crucial MX500 M.2 runs around 40-45C without a heatsink. No issues since it does get some cooling from one of the front case fans.

High-end NVM-E drives will require a heatsync to prevent throttling.

Your overall case airflow is the biggest factor. If you dont have very good airflow you should probably get a heatsink. If it has good airflow i wouldnt worry about it. From your temps( if your certain the 75 and 62 are your nvme ) i would try to improve tha airflow across the drive and get a heatsink.

Back