Are GTX460 SLI or 5850 CFX worth it at this stage or wait for ati 6xxx series?

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
1,478
I recently got my 4890 CFX up and running, love the performance and ability to turn up max details! Yet I still desire a little more out of my games. Would it be worth it to sell the 4890s and get a 5850 CFX or gtx460 sli setup now? I know the ati 6xxx series is supposed to come out towards end of this year sometime. So I'm wondering if it'd be better to upgrade now or wait for next gen of cards to come out?
 

Anti-Hero

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
324
Are you happy with the performance of your curret cards?
 
Last edited:

Mk32

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2010
Messages
213
Well i am waiting before upgrading my 260. Seeing that you already have two 4890 it would seem to be better to wait and when the 6000s do come out.
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
682
I recently got my 4890 CFX up and running, love the performance and ability to turn up max details! Yet I still desire a little more out of my games. Would it be worth it to sell the 4890s and get a 5850 CFX or gtx460 sli setup now? I know the ati 6xxx series is supposed to come out towards end of this year sometime. So I'm wondering if it'd be better to upgrade now or wait for next gen of cards to come out?

hd 4890 = gtx 275 = gtx 460 in terms of speeds. not much dx11 going on yet. I'd wait if I were you.
 

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
4,660
I agree. If anything prices will be driven down come fall. Just another month or two away.
 

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
8,150
I certainly wouldn't upgrade with your current hardware. You may not have DX11 and your power consumption with dual 4890's is high, particularly at idle compared to the new AMD cards, but neither of those are reason enough to upgrade now. The 58xx series will be a full year old in just over a month from now which means a refresh is probably right around the corner.
 

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
1,478
Yeah I've been thinking about it, and decided to just hold on and wait. My new cpu comes in on friday, as well as my new hsf, so hopefully a true quad that's oc'd will result in a few more frames in bc2 :D. The difference between 16x AA and 8x AA is barely noticeable in bad company 2 so i figured it's better to just wait it out.

Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate it.
 

Brackle

Old Timer
Joined
Jun 19, 2003
Messages
8,024
Eh iv been using my 5870 for 11 months now, and I have seen no reason to go xfire yet or upgrade.

I am hoping the 6000 series changing that. That or Nvidia comes up with a pretty damn good refresh to upgrade too.

Price Wars FTW
 
Top