Are GPU Companies Honoring Warranties?

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I was watching today's video from NorthridgeFix and he mentioned some odd warranty issues he's seen with GPU manufacturers recently. How has your warranties gone the past 12 months?

Gotta read what the warranty covers, those two gigabyte cards are damaged due to customer issues installing or uninstalling the card most likely.

Didn't watch beyond that, seen tons of people get snagged on PCIe retention mechanisms crack the pcb there.
Yeah, they look it. Good on Gigabyte for not being bullied by an idiotic tech tuber.

There once was a time wherein you'd only expect to see this behavior from small, sketchy unknown shops.
Today, many large companies are engaging in this very shady behavior.
I fully expect if Crypto crashes, you'll see lots of video-cards re-packaged and sold as new.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Regardless of what may be the issue, always take photographs of the video card before sending it in. If anything, take a video of your packaging process.

At least you can show that the card was intact, etc., when you sent it out.

Gotta read what the warranty covers, those two gigabyte cards are damaged due to customer issues installing or uninstalling the card most likely.

Didn't watch beyond that, seen tons of people get snagged on PCIe retention mechanisms crack the pcb there.
This even happened back in the day too but now it's more common with reinforced PCIE slots rather than the slot breaking off the board lol. I see a lot of mentions of EVGA in the comments in the video, they'd deny warranty for this too and their forum always has people moaning about stuff they screwed up and EVGA sending it back bc they broke it lol. People even post about "hey I broke my card but I reassembled it and hope they don't notice" on the forum I mean come on lol.

This even happened back in the day too but now it's more common with reinforced PCIE slots rather than the slot breaking off the board lol. I see a lot of mentions of EVGA in the comments in the video, they'd deny warranty for this too and their forum always has people moaning about stuff they screwed up and EVGA sending it back bc they broke it lol. People even post about "hey I broke my card but I reassembled it and hope they don't notice" on the forum I mean come on lol.
Definitely, see it all too often.

Doesnt help that there are so many variations of retention clips either, but that's just an excuse, the cpu and ram slots clip too so come on.

So far EVGA has been slow to process my issue with the gpu in my kids desktop. Fan bearing noise from the middle fan and the one near the power connectors stops spinning.

Asus RMA on 6800 XT - perfect. ASRock 6800 XT - perfect. Both in a week or so.

There once was a time wherein you'd only expect to see this behavior from small, sketchy unknown shops.
Today, many large companies are engaging in this very shady behavior.
I fully expect if Crypto crashes, you'll see lots of video-cards re-packaged and sold as new.
I said this would happen...didn't I.

Lots of AIBs have now put into warranty terms that mining voids the warranty.
Question is: How would they know if a card has been used for mining...without some type of onboard usage tracking utility.
Humans are some of the most despicable animals on the planet.
To think somebody could unsuspectingly buy one of these cards and pay full price....thinking they got a new card.
Mankind never disappoints in the shady tactics they love to engage in for money.
I'm starting to wish only animals lived on the planet.

Usually the owner is so dumb he says he was using it for mining. Otherwise there's no way to tell as far as I know.

I can see both sides of this issue. On one hand, companies need to adhere to fulfilling their warranty obligations… period. On the other hand, in the past 2 years we’ve seen a massive amount of newbies trying to build rigs: the number of parts destroyed by first-timer and idiot installation mistakes has skyrocketed. We’re talking adults who barely know the difference between RAM and ROM — basic stuff most of us learned as kids. Hell, the uptick in the number of idiot questions I see posted here (and God help us, Reddit) are proof enough that there’s a growing amateur-amateur user base who are increasing RMA (request) rates.

In my experience, companies have gotten much more inquisitive when responding to RMA requests, and if they sniff any user-faulted damage they’ll refuse. If you’re able to describe an issue with a monikum of technical know-how, they’ll fulfill the request no problem.

In my own experience in the past two years, I’ve had Gigabyte replace a monitor with flickering issues, and PowerColor replace a 6900xt with faulty VRAM. No issues with either, likely because I was pedantically clear in describing the issues.

Last edited:
Back