Are DVD-burners going to get any faster than 8x?

HRslammR

2[H]4U
cause i don't want to be one of those folks who buys it then 6 months later it's up to a 16x dvd-burn. i hate that. i read somewhere that it can only get up to 8x but that's why i'm asking ya.

Heed the advice in your own quote :)

nobodies ever going to have THE bestest computer ever. so why try?

Remember the minute you buy it,there will be something better.
Anyway i think the next big jump is to blue or whatever color ray,
Increasing the amount of data being abled to be stored on a disk.:D

Originally posted by Teerex20

Anyway i think the next big jump is to blue or whatever color ray,
Increasing the amount of data being abled to be stored on a disk.:D

I think I read that somewhere too

dont forget dual layered burners either. fyi pioneer will have a the first 8x dvd-r / 8x dvd+r drive. teac also has one but i believe its based off the pioneer.

i've heard that 12x dvd drives are like 52x cdr drives

its about the max because after that the disk will become unstable and crack

EDIT: this is for single layer dvd burners... i don't know about dual

you have that whole thought process about "when u buy somehting it will become yesterdays tech" if u want a new computer, buy it, make the best of it by ocing it if ur so worried about being uptodate, and enjoy. don't worry about what comes out afterwards, enjoy what u can buy now

my sig was mainly for my own advice to myself. that is i get all caught up in having the best memory and video card and CPU and what not. and to save my pocketbook. :p but i ask because like those people that bought the 8x cd-rw at the time and not too long after it seemed they were rocketing at 52x and such. i just don't want to end up in the same boat if eventually they'll get up to 52x or like teerex said they're going to the blue laser and dual layer Dvd-r's. i'd rather wait and sit on the tech that'll last the longest then have to eventually just upgrade agian.

nec 8x dvd-r/ 8x dvd+r/ 4x dvd-rw /4x dvd+rw / 12x read for $129 new Computer Geeks Review . I bought one only 7 left. Very good media compatibility. can burn 8x on non 8x discs and has very good quality writing. PLus it is the first 8x dual format burner.

An "X" in DVD terms isn't the same as an "X" in CD-ROM terms. An 8x DVD burner is indeed quite fast.

You can't really say what speed that DVD burners will max out at... You just have to buy what is available. Its fact that ether it will get faster or will be replaced by a nerwer faster technology.

How fast can they push CPUs? When will CPU speed cap-out?

My point is that you already know that something will replace what you buy, it's just when.

Wild prediction: no for this year. Once dual layer burners come out, burning speed will probably slightly decrease.

why so many standards? Why is there a dual-layer DVD and a blu-ray dvd? Which one will allow you to burn DVDs to watch on older DVD-players?

Originally posted by Exocet956
dont forget dual layered burners either. fyi pioneer will have a the first 8x dvd-r / 8x dvd+r drive. teac also has one but i believe its based off the pioneer.

too bad the nec was out first. pioneer had the first "announced" dual 8x, but nec beat them to market by a long shot.

newegg has them for $117 free shipping.

nec 2500

16x coming at end of year, thats it. they said disk cannot spin any faster.

I have a 4x and an 8x and the read time is faster with the 8x, but for burning it is still the longest. I haven't bought any 8x media so that is my problem, but I still enjoy the movies I have burned on either burner. YES, the 8x is faster, but not by a whole lot in my case.

Still it is nice to copy movies and too enjoy them.

BlueRay or whatever it's called is meant for High Definition DVD; you won't be seeing any consumer level burners for at least two years and probably longer that allow recordable DVDs of that capacity. When you see High Definition DVD players for $500 then you can start looking around for info about these DVD burners.

The next innovation in storage is going to be both:

(a) increased single layer speeds which will max out at 16x (as explained above 16x DVD is not comparable to 16X CD - it is much faster, 52x if memory serves me correctly); and

(b) the introduction of Dual Layer recordable DVDs (these double the capacity of current recordable DVDs) and burners allowing recording of such DVDs at 2.4x It is rumored that most 8x burners have the laser strength to burn dual layer DVDs and that a simple bios upgrade can enable this ability. However, it's unknown if (1) this is true and (2) any manufacturers will provide such bios update given that they can just sell you a brand new device and the income that comes along with that.

Originally posted by deeznuts
too bad the nec was out first. pioneer had the first "announced" dual 8x, but nec beat them to market by a long shot.

newegg has them for $117 free shipping.

nec 2500

I dont understand what you mean by "dual'.

Is it dual because it writes 8x DVD+R and DVD-r ?

OR is it dual because it can write dual layers DVDs?

I don't think we're going faster than 8x. 1x DVD = 9x CD. Thus, we're theoretically already at 72x, which is the fastest CD reader out there (perhaps not even on sale anymore).

don't think we're going faster than 8x. 1x DVD = 9x CD. Thus, we're theoretically already at 72x, which is the fastest CD reader out there (perhaps not even on sale anymore).

Ummm wrong....

Current DVD burning standards - and + are able to burn much more data in comparison to regular CDR discs and a slower RPM rate. The 1x DVD burn speed is comparable to I believe 8x CDR, but the disc rotation is much slower.

Thus manufacturers could ramp up the DVD burning speeds up to 32x or higher if they wanted to, but with the advent of dual layer and blue laser on the horizon, the companies have stated that they will go no faster then 16x burn speeds.

And the fastest burning standardis 52x. Anything beyond this there is big risk of the structural integrity of CD-R discs being compromised at 10,000+RPMS. Also because of the CAV of drives, you will almost rarely hit that speed on discs until the very edge of the disc itself, so the benefits of such speeds are pretty much nill.

Your probably thinking of the 72x read speed Kenwood drives from years ago that were the rage dual to its ability to read multiple tracks at one time. A cool technology, but with serious reliability problems and thus no longer made.

so, lets say that you were to buy a DVD Burner within the next few months, should one just wait for dual-layer if they want to watch these DVDs on DVD players that are at most 4 years old?

Well, dual layer burners aren't hitting until the end of this year so under your timeframe you don't really have a choice. If all you want to do is backup DVDs to watch on your TV/DVD player then current DVD burners will do that just fine just note that there will be some compression depending on the size of the original DVD disc. This only really becomes an issue depending on whether you're playing it in progressive scan and the size of your set. You can always do things to improve that though like leave out extras and audio tracks/subtitles. Check out the other thread about best way to copy DVDs for info on how to do that.

www.dvdrhelp.com

Plextor said there getting ready for the launch of there 12x burners, why I don't know, since 8x media is just now begining to roll out, though slowly.

I say, if you can, wait for the roll out of 12x, then the prices should drop some more on the "slower" burners. But a 4x burner can be had onine from the Egg for less than a hundred dollars right now. You just have to deal with the fact that WHEN EVER you purchase hardware, the price ulitmatley drops soon afterwards, it just something that happens. You can't really time it down to a science. You can time it to get a good deal, like waiting for the roll out of the 12x burners. I would not wait for dualies(dual layer burners that is) since there is still not a finite time frame for them, its all guesses right now.

I back up my movies right now, and I just take out the extras and soundtracks for everything but english, and see no loss in quality. Mine also play in 2 different model Xboxes, 2 different generation Sony players, and a Panasonic HomeTheater-in-a-Box model that is 5 years old.
Just go to the site at the top of this post and read up on everything. I spent at least a week reading everything I could, even before I purchased a burner.

Back