Are dual layer DVD burners coming out soon?

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
I just read somewhere(think it was a link from the dvdrhelp.com forums) that they are running into some issues with the Dual-layer format of burning drives. The issue is that they are having trouble making DVD players play dual burned discs when there is different amounts of data on the layers(4 gigs on one layer and less or more on the second layer). To solve this, they are making the computer write "dummy data" to the layer that has less, which is producing 56 minute finalization sessions.

Granted they are a ways from retail but I sure don't want them to ship that way.

Depending on what you're going to be using it for, you may find this article interesting.

Originally posted by Tiny
I just read somewhere(think it was a link from the dvdrhelp.com forums) that they are running into some issues with the Dual-layer format of burning drives........

I think you meant this article on cnet.com - it's linked on the [h]frontpage

that's what new tech is about - teething problems. and 2.4x for a dvd9 is slow, I'll wait with my current dvd5 burner until they get upto 8x, which should result in ~15 mins per dvd which acceptable.

i hope for newer dvd burners they can just release a firmware so we dont have to buy new burners. i doubt this is possible but its a wish.. maybe we can see why the hell they even came out with + media :p if they can support dual layer with firmware upgrade that'd be the greatest thing since the wheel

Originally posted by isocrazy
i hope for newer dvd burners they can just release a firmware so we dont have to buy new burners. i doubt this is possible but its a wish.. maybe we can see why the hell they even came out with + media :p if they can support dual layer with firmware upgrade that'd be the greatest thing since the wheel

Heh, you'd be getting an extra rotation out of this wheel, though. :p

Dual-layer burners require a higher powered laser to burn to the second layer. Don't hold your breath for firmware to be able to increase the power output of a laser.

And everyone knows the reason why the +RW format was created...money. Create your own competing product that doesn't follow someone else's guidelines/standards and you don't have to pay them royalty fees, all money made goes to you.

Originally posted by Icewindius
Love my new Plextor 708A. Check out the cleaning job it did for me.

beforeafter.jpg

36 discs crammed onto 2 DVD disks. I have no complaints of not waiting, this thing rules!!!

You managed to take 36 CDRs and put them on 2 DVDRs?

25gb on to two 4.3gb discs?

I want your DVD writer!!!

Seriously though be careful that your DVDRs will still be working in a years time. Ive already run into trouble with media burned only 6 months ago and kept under ideal condition.

Back