Are DDR5 prices likely to decrease over the next two months?

Delicieuxz

[H]ard|Gawd
What's the pricing outlook for 2023?

I'm looking to get one of these 64GB kits. But I won't be ready to assemble the full PC until another 1.5 - 2 months. I'm wondering if I should buy now, if there's even a tiny discount available, or wait a bit.

G.Skill 2x32GB CL30-40-40-96
https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/390/1665020865/F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR-Specification

G.Skill 2x32GB CL32-38-38-96
https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/390/1665020956/F5-6000J3238G32GX2-TZ5NR-Specification

Anyone know how much better the CL30 should be vs CL32, and what rank these sticks are?

Last edited:
Buildzoid seems to think tCL makes very little difference to DDR5 performance and that tRCD is more important so if he is correct then a 36-36-36 kit may perform best and as a added bonus it's cheaper and at worst performs bugger all slower.
But really which one performs best comes down too the sub timings which are not advertised although EXPO should bring tighter subs than a XMP kit.

Generally 16GB and above sticks are usually dual rank.
Use to be with DDR4 but not any more.
Most new DDR4 16GB sticks are single rank due to new RAM chips having higher density.
All DDR5 16GB sticks are single rank even some 32GB sticks may be.

I asked G.Skill about the 2x32GB kits in question, and the reply was:

"Thank you for contacting G.Skill. Ranking can vary with batch so unfortunately we can not be certain of what will be received in hand. Once you receive them, you can check with utility software such as Thaiphoon Burner to confirm what is in hand. If it is not what is desired, the place of purchase should be able to accept a return within 30 days of purchase."

I've followed-up with a question of whether their 2x32GB kits are certain to be at least dual-rank.

I asked G.Skill about the 2x32GB kits in question, and the reply was:

"Thank you for contacting G.Skill. Ranking can vary with batch so unfortunately we can not be certain of what will be received in hand. Once you receive them, you can check with utility software such as Thaiphoon Burner to confirm what is in hand. If it is not what is desired, the place of purchase should be able to accept a return within 30 days of purchase."

I've followed-up with a question of whether their 2x32GB kits are certain to be at least dual-rank.
G.Skill replied to my follow-up question with this:

"It is likely at this time since it is a new product, however, it may not be the case another time."

I wonder why later production sticks are less likely to be mutli-rank.

I wonder why later production sticks are less likely to be mutli-rank.
Because as tech advances the chips used are higher capacity.
The difference between dual rank and single rank is that dual rank has double the amount of memory chips per stick of RAM and obviously using half the number of chips is cheaper.

Hopefully the same is true of DDR5 ECC UDIMMs pricing and availability (it's been an annoying trickle from Supermicro).

Buildzoid seems to think tCL makes very little difference to DDR5 performance and that tRCD is more important so if he is correct then a 36-36-36 kit may perform best and as a added bonus it's cheaper and at worst performs bugger all slower.
But really which one performs best comes down too the sub timings which are not advertised although EXPO should bring tighter subs than a XMP kit.
Here's the Buildzoid video I think you were talking about, where he demonstrates that subtimings are more important than CL timing. Adjusting them isn't something I've looked into before, but I should for my upcoming build.

In Buildzoid's November DDR5 buying guide, while he shows that Samsung 5600 memory can be a good buy, as it's the same as Samsung 6000 memory and just needs to be given some voltage and OCd, he says he's found Samsung messy to work with and it doesn't OC as much as Hynix memory. And he says Micron memory is worse than Samsung (but it also tends to be the cheapest).

At 18:35, he says his general rule is that he stays away from any memory with a tRCD of 36, as it strongly indicates it's Samsung instead of Hynix. In that video, he says that if he was going for a high-performance 64GB DDR5 kit, he'd choose G.Skill 6000 32-38-38-96, which he firmly believes is Hynix. At 39:29 in that video, he said he doesn't think that Samsung memory can do 6000Mhz at CL32, while he thinks the Hynix could be able to OC to 6600Mhz or higher. He thinks some Kingston 5600 CL40 kits might be able to match the G.Skill 6000 CL32, if they have Hynix memory, but thinks there is a small chance they could turn out to have Samsung memory.

G.Skill 6000 32-38-38-96 happens to be the exact memory I was looking to buy, and one of the ones I linked to in the OP. And I've just ordered a kit, so it'll make sense for me to take advantage of its OC capability.

I'm not sure which video it was in, but Buildzoid also said that, while dual-rank is optimal for DDR4, single-rank is preferred for DDR5. Still, his top recommendation for 64GB high-performance DDR5, without risking getting Samsung memory, is the G.Skill 6000 CL32, which he said is guaranteed to be dual-rank Hynix.

Last edited:
Reactions: dasa
like this
If you are looking to OC and are chasing high frequencies on Intel then newer sticks with Hynix A die are what you want.

I think we are sitting at a sweetspot right now. They were much more expensive few months ago.

For now at least, the falling price trend seems to be continuing, but yea, don't wait too long & get caught off guard by the upcoming flood, fire, explosion etc, which we ALL know is definitely coming soon to a ram factory near you...

Back