Are cheaper cards more prone to coil whine, looking at two diff 2070's.

Subzerok11

Gawd
I want to buy a new card and I'm looking at these two cards.

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black GAMING is the cheapest 2070 that EVGA makes it actually only has one 8pin connection for power and the PCB is not even full length of the card only about half.

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING is third best 2070 card out of the eight 2070's that EVGA makes. It has factory OC, needs two power connections and the PCB is the full length of the board.

My question is could the cheaper GPU be more prone to coil whine ? Also the cheaper card has no backplate, is there a good chance it could sag a bit ? I know I've that cheap cases can lead to GPU's to sag but I'm asking anyway.

Also if you had two choose between the two which would you choose and why ?

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-1071-KR $499

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-2172-KR $549

I've found coil whine to happen most often on cards that draw a lot of power (200W and above). Though my only recent tests took place over the past couple of years -- 900s and 1070s/1080s; the last card I owned that had serious whine was the 7970). Just a data point from me.

Coil whine seems to be luck of the draw. Some have none, some have it when in menu screens where fps shoots way high and worst cases have it all the time.

Just a data point for you, but my Asus STRIX 1080ti is among the better cards from that gen, and it has coil whine. However, it only has coil whine when my frame limiter fails and the card goes to 500fps in menus. Otherwise it's quiet.

Don't forget your PSU also can contribute to coil whine. One of my old cards use to have terrible coil whine, but once I upgraded my PSU, no more issues.

I wouldnt say so... I have an EVGA 1070ti FTW2 which about as top tier as one can get for a GPU model brand wise and build wise and it coil whines.

It is also on an Corsair HX1000i psu so its a really high end PSU also.

I dont think it has anything to do with cheapness

Pretty sure it's just luck of the draw....

If you get one with real bad coil whine, return it.

Don't forget your PSU also can contribute to coil whine. One of my old cards use to have terrible coil whine, but once I upgraded my PSU, no more issues.

There are a number of factors at play with SMPS, but interestingly a key contributor for ripple induced coil whine is the size/value/quality of the primary filtering cap. High quality, adequately specced hold up caps are $$...

Back