Are Apple Ads Hurting Microsoft's Brand&#63

5-10 more years and Ubuntu will be running circles around the world. It is already doing a great job but hardware support sucks and it's not Ubuntu's fault. This is just one of many signs to show the future of Microsoft.

Exciting times. Mac's are cool but they have some issues as well, one being closed source and not entirely developer friendly.

5-10 more years and Ubuntu will be running circles around the world. It is already doing a great job but hardware support sucks and it's not Ubuntu's fault. This is just one of many signs to show the future of Microsoft.

Exciting times. Mac's are cool but they have some issues as well, one being closed source and not entirely developer friendly.

IMO this is the thing with Ubuntu. For it to take off it needs support for hardware. Support won't come for the hardware unless folks support the operating system... so it's kindof a cycle with leads to nowhere.

Ubuntu is OK, just not near to the position Windows is as user-friendly (needing to use command prompt for anything, on any OS, for the end-user... is unacceptable. While Ubuntu is improving, it isn't there yet).

I'd love nothing more for a FREE operating system to take over. That'd be wonderful... cheaper systems for everyone. But let's be realistic.

Only the people with a lack of knowledge about PC's would believe the drivle that those adverts put out...which would be most of the audience watching it, probably the same people that drive around in a prius (which is less fuel efficient than a BMW 2.0 Litre Diesel) and hang out at Starbucks (some reason that SP episode gives me an image of the stereo typical mac user). A Mac has just as many shortfalls that a PC would if not more.

Hello......Bueller......Hello......:eek:

Does the term XBox 360 ring a bell????

How can that be true, when its the most popular game console in the US??

Maybe people don't make the connection????

Hard to believe this stat.

Only the people with a lack of knowledge about PC's would believe the drivle that those adverts put out...which would be most of the audience watching it, probably the same people that drive around in a prius (which is less fuel efficient than a BMW 2.0 Litre Diesel) and hang out at Starbucks (some reason that SP episode gives me an image of the stereo typical mac user). A Mac has just as many shortfalls that a PC would if not more.

I'm still waiting on a prius driver to comment on that BMW 520d. :D :p

Maybe the company decided to penalize Microsoft for every copy of Vista still sitting on store shelves? :)

The article is about the possible causation between the mac ads and Microsoft brand awareness slipping and immediately it becomes about how people who don't love Windows are stupid. :confused:

yea i kinda noticed that as well

and furthermore, advertising works people... otherwise companies wouldn't spend billions on it every year...

Most Mac users don't want to be business men. If you go into an Apple store it's hippies and EMO hair galore.

That's what Mac is trying to do, get people like that to keep buying into Mac. The iPod/iPhone alone s doing this. So yes, they want business men and lawyers to stay away, they want to keep their "Think different crowd".

I use Apple and PC at work, on my mac I run VM ware and run Windows XP. My PC has Vista.

I think the best and most sophisticated of geeks, like myself, run all platforms. There isn't one that is better than the other, they all have their task they are best at.

I...I..don't want to be a business man! However i definitely see your point...its like a twisted abuse of anti corporatism...

they are evil we are good....it's like politics with microprocessors.....

All the Apple ads do is make me never want to buy any of their products ever.
Same here. Their MacBook Air ad has the most annoying song I've ever heard. The iPhone ad with that cheesy music drives me up the wall. I haven't seen the Mac vs. PC guy ads in awhile. Those were the worst.

While I won't say that I agree with the comments made by Microsoft's representation...

The people of this country are stupid enough to be swayed by those commercials.

The "I'm a Mac" commercials appeal to vanity by effectively giving the impression that you're stupid or unethically stupid to use a PC. People don't buy Mercedes and BMW's and Lexus so that they can open up those engines on the clogged freeways of LA... they buy them (or probably lease them) because they appeal to their vanity.

Vanity (or, your sense of self-importance) is almost as powerful as fear. And the mac adds play on fear too! "You will get a virus if you're a PC and are immune if you're a mac" idea shows up in at least two of the ones I've seen.

Ad wars are only slightly less dirty than Democratic primaries... but much more entertaining. :)

There are laptops with beefier hardware than the macbook for a cheaper cost, this is true, but they can't run Mac OS X. Also, if you're paying for Windows you're a f'n moron.
I own one of these laptops that can kick Macbook tail, for much cheaper ;)

And, by the way, the majority of consumers don't get freebies. So I can only assume you are talking about pirating. And if you pirate, YOU are the moron.

It's the most widely attacked due to it's popularity, the registry is a joke and a complete disaster, it has to work on machines built from a huge hardware diversity, it's the worse handler of system memory, so yeah, I stand by my statement.

As soon as something else gets popular- it's attack rate would rise as well. Invalid argument.
Registry is a joke, but at the moment, nothing really better. And to maintain backwards compatibility (which Apple doesn't have much care for), it has to stick around for awhile longer.
And also, since when does having a vast amount of hardware diversity is being a bad thing? IMO, having an element of choice is a plus, not a negative.
My guess is you have also never used Vista, and are entirely ignorant to the memory management capabilities of Superfetch. Mac OS doesn't touch its memory management capabilities.

The real irony being that all macs these days ARE "PCs". Their ads actually are OSX vs vista recently as that is the only discriminator left.

Im going to go with the fact that Vista is a bomb and Microsoft is having an identity crisis with several unremarkable and non innovative products. Last I checked Apple didnt question if it was Google or an MP3 player producer or a game console company.

When I hear "Microsoft" I get a sense of "bloat"...

I love how every time "Apple" is mentioned everyone on the [H] goes into nerd rage mode. :p Show me on the doll where Mr. Jobs touched you.

While I admit a few Mac users are elitist, blind morons, can you not say the same for Linux and Windows users? I mean, how many of you Mac bashers have ever actually used one? You scream "sheep" between your "baaahhhs" and fence jumping. :p

Lighten up, its a computer. Its not out to get you or steal ur megahurts, and Apple doesn't plot deep into the night in how to ruin your day, they just want to sell their product via marketing. Last I checked, thats what "business" was.

Microsoft dropping in rank...thats no ones fault but their own. The RRoDs, Vistas sub-par performance and high price, lack of any marketing of their own...and you blame someone else? Stop pulling scapegoats.

(Side notes: 1) I use Windows, OSX, and Linux (for servers), so I have no single loyalty to an OS. I use each OS for its purpose and I calls it like I sees it. 2) Just because I have a Mac in my sig does not make me a smut Mac elitist, and of you judge me by that alone...well, sucks for you. 3) Its Mac, not MAC. There is a diffierence (A rather big one), and if you don't what that difference is you honestly shouldn't even be posting on here.)

Im going to go with the fact that Vista is a bomb and Microsoft is having an identity crisis with several unremarkable and non innovative products. Last I checked Apple didnt question if it was Google or an MP3 player producer or a game console company.

When I hear "Microsoft" I get a sense of "bloat"...

You're right, Apple only focuses on one thing, unlike MS. That's why the Apple TV, iPhone, and the 10,000 varaints of the iPod never came to market. Steve looked at those things, and said, "Fuck you! We're a computer company, dammit!" You should see what he did to the guy who suggested creating an music store on-line... :rolleyes:

You're right, Apple only focuses on one thing, unlike MS. That's why the Apple TV, iPhone, and the 10,000 varaints of the iPod never came to market. Steve looked at those things, and said, "Fuck you! We're a computer company, dammit!" You should see what he did to the guy who suggested creating an music store on-line... :rolleyes:

That and the fact that history shows there are a VERY good number (the ratio is quite high) of their products that have failed over time... Probably more so than Microsoft, "Let's throw this crazy product out there and hope it floats"... Worked for the iPod I guess.

This is what happens when you let marketing majors pretend to be statisticians.

Seriously, they say their methodoloy consisted of interviewing 12,000 business leaders (all VP level or above) and Pier 1 Imports comes in 12 places ABOVE Microsoft. Riiiight.

I have Windows XP and plan to buy an Xbox360 when GTA4 and Bionic Commando come out. So... didn't hurt anything for me. I work on Macs too and they are cool toys that I would love to have alongside a PC. As far as one or the other... I'n going with Gates, But then again I'm among the 93% of people who don't use Macs primarily.

If you ask the avg person what "Microsoft" is the person will know, but how many people remember what the logo looks like? When I read this I was trying to remember what it looked like and could not. I would have know it seeing it but how often do you see the logo? The only place on MS pages are beside live search. On MSN you may think it is the butterfly if you don't know better, and on the microsoft page you will think it is the office logo. I grew up with every version (except ME) of windows and sell it for a living but I do not see the logo day to day, I see the blue microsoft word not the logo.

Don't you see the Microsoft logo every time you boot up windows, doesn't every other person who has a window machine see this, I think most people see it on a daily basis even if they don't realize it

Wow... what mindless tard dribble. I never once stated Wow was a benchmark, I simply said that running wow on full settings on OS X is pretty damn nice. Not to mention medium settings is nowhere near the overhead of high, please take the pole out of your mouth before you post, you've got jizz in your brains.
Uhoh, someone insulted the kiddie's overprice toy and now he's mad.

Grow up. Wow is a low-powered app at any setting. The fact that it can handle WoW simply indicates that it is as powerful as a 3-year old top of the line laptop, which is exactly what it is. A mixture of sub-par hardware tossed in a shiny box for idiots just like you that have to revert to childish comments (interesting how cocks is right on the edge of your mind) when you realize that you're an idiot.

There are laptops with beefier hardware than the macbook for a cheaper cost, this is true, but they can't run Mac OS X.
Useless feature. Mediocre OS. Same as the shiny box. Low on features, high on shiny object factor.
Also, if you're paying for Windows you're a f'n moron.
Says the person paying $1000 for OSX. Idiot.

Wait.. yeah you're a f'n moron.:rolleyes:
Good for you, kid. Obviously you're a genius, given the fact that you're attracted to shiny objects, regardless of absurd price.

Windows may be necessary but it sucks ass. It's the most widely attacked due to it's popularity
AKA, MAC OSX is so unimportant they can't even get negative attention,
the registry is a joke and a complete disaster,
Common argument, never seen any issues. I'd like you to provide an example.
it has to work on machines built from a huge hardware diversity,
How is that even a negative? Did you forget what side you're arguing for? Are you so slow-witted that all the options confuse you?
it's the worse handler of system memory
Funny, I've never come close to using the 2GB I got for $30. I guess I better go spend $1000 so I can drop to 1GB for $15 less? Impotent argument. RAM is cheap, dirt cheap. Only an idiot would spend $1000 to save 100Mb of memory.
, so yeah, I stand by my statement. I would much rather deal with .plist than .dlls any day. Corrupted preference? trash and start over, no registry to corrupt.
I guess someone of your incompetence could manage to corrupt the registry, I also guess that someone that has registry corruption issues is too God damn stupid to click the button that saves the registry, I guess that's why you went to Mac.

If you think Mac OS X is useless, I also stand by my statement that you're an f'n moron.
And yet ironically do noting but demonstrate your own idiocy in the post. Grow the fuck up, kid.

The registry is flaky, single point of failure in windows. Insulting people for not backing it up doesn't make it less so. If anything it highlights how bad the problem is. Most have no clue about the registry until the ticking time bomb explodes one day and their system won't boot.

Even if it didn't lead to system failures for multitudes of people, it is still an incredibly bad idea, stifling program mobility. I am so happy when I get a utility that doesn't use the registry since I can just pick up the directory and drop it anywhere on any drive and it keeps working, meanwhile registry based utils get hosed when you do this.

Windows is the standard, that is all it has going for it. The design is insecure and poorly thought out.

If you're that offended by a computer forum post then I think you need to grow up.

Computers are just tools, not something to try and and be arrogant about.

Welcome to PC vs mac threads...

Get some thick skin and start the bashing..

it also makes for a great read to see mac zealots TRY and defend there overpriced under powered product...

The registry is flaky, single point of failure in windows. Insulting people for not backing it up doesn't make it less so. If anything it highlights how bad the problem is. Most have no clue about the registry until the ticking time bomb explodes one day and their system won't boot.

Even if it didn't lead to system failures for multitudes of people, it is still an incredibly bad idea, stifling program mobility. I am so happy when I get a utility that doesn't use the registry since I can just pick up the directory and drop it anywhere on any drive and it keeps working, meanwhile registry based utils get hosed when you do this.

Windows is the standard, that is all it has going for it. The design is insecure and poorly thought out.

Wow

You have no clue.... Plz show me how the design is insecure and poorly thought out.

I want proof of this. and not some childish opinion. i want HARDCORE FACT.

And if you don't know what your doing in the registry.. then why the fuck you in it?

Damn..

Uhoh, someone insulted the kiddie's overprice toy and now he's mad.

Grow up. Wow is a low-powered app at any setting. The fact that it can handle WoW simply indicates that it is as powerful as a 3-year old top of the line laptop, which is exactly what it is. A mixture of sub-par hardware tossed in a shiny box for idiots just like you that have to revert to childish comments (interesting how cocks is right on the edge of your mind) when you realize that you're an idiot.

Useless feature. Mediocre OS. Same as the shiny box. Low on features, high on shiny object factor.
Says the person paying $1000 for OSX. Idiot.

Good for you, kid. Obviously you're a genius, given the fact that you're attracted to shiny objects, regardless of absurd price.

AKA, MAC OSX is so unimportant they can't even get negative attention, Common argument, never seen any issues. I'd like you to provide an example. How is that even a negative? Did you forget what side you're arguing for? Are you so slow-witted that all the options confuse you? Funny, I've never come close to using the 2GB I got for $30. I guess I better go spend $1000 so I can drop to 1GB for $15 less? Impotent argument. RAM is cheap, dirt cheap. Only an idiot would spend $1000 to save 100Mb of memory. I guess someone of your incompetence could manage to corrupt the registry, I also guess that someone that has registry corruption issues is too God damn stupid to click the button that saves the registry, I guess that's why you went to Mac.

And yet ironically do noting but demonstrate your own idiocy in the post. Grow the fuck up, kid.

/signed

[RIP]Zeus;1032247401 said:
Welcome to PC vs mac threads...

Get some thick skin and start the bashing..

it also makes for a great read to see mac zealots TRY and defend there overpriced under powered product...

OK, I own NOTHING but PCs (except for a donated ibook g4 that I dont even use..), yet I can't think of anything in the PC world analogous to the MacBook Air at a similar price.

I could be wrong though.... is there something on the PC side that is as light as the MacBook Air without being over 2000 dollars?

OK, I own NOTHING but PCs (except for a donated ibook g4 that I dont even use..), yet I can't think of anything in the PC world analogous to the MacBook Air at a similar price.

I could be wrong though.... is there something on the PC side that is as light as the MacBook Air without being over 2000 dollars?

Question is

WHy the hell would you want to buy a featureless laptop??

Just cause it's thin, doesn't mean it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Quickest thing i could find doing a QUICK google

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/7950.html

So one of my coworkers was using a mac the other day. He says out loudly, "dude, my next laptop is sooo going to be a mac book."

I looked at him and said "why?"

He responds excitedly, "look at this awesome background!"

Uhh.. yeah... :rolleyes:

General use OS: Windows
Specific use OS (ie servers): linux

There's really no room for macs and an apple OS unless we can freely install it on almost any system like windows and linux.

About the registry thing. Developers can choose not to use the registry. For example, I can drop Q3 or doom 3 anywhere on my computer and it'll play. I can run Eclipse from my usb drive.

My biggest beef are all the retard developers saving all my configs and save games in My "god damn" Documents. You piece of shit developers need to stop it. It ruins portability.

Microsoft did it to themselves by releasing an operating system that nobody gives a crap about.

Apple has done an amazing job improving OS X over the last seven years, but I would say that MS is just as much to blame for their own decline. If they had done at least as good a job with their OS then this wouldn't even be an issue.

Remember, mcdognads is the number 1 "hamburger" and people like Brittney are #1 in the music charts.
im not sure what the top selling car is right now, i can assure you its a pice of crap.

wouldnt suprise me if apple became the #1 laptop maker.

as for real computers. nah

[RIP]Zeus;1032247549 said:
Quickest thing i could find doing a QUICK google

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/7950.html

Costs more and is much bulkier.

I don't even like the Air (it is a really specific product) but I do recognize that it is an amazing piece of engineering. It is basically a computer in two thin sheets of aluminum with one of the best laptop keyboards on the market. None of the other ultraslims (again, a product category that I would have a hard time recommending to anybody) are anything like it in terms of price or form factor.

Remember, mcdognads is the number 1 "hamburger" and people like Brittney are #1 in the music charts.
im not sure what the top selling car is right now, i can assure you its a pice of crap.

By that logic it makes perfect sense that Microsoft is the #1 seller of operating systems on the market.

Back