Are Angry Fanboys Bad for Games?

This guy sounds a lot like an angry fanboy complaining about something they are interested in.

There were so many pointless clippings to like a different camera angle or to some random pic that the video whining was like a bulimic's dream come true. I totally could have gotten chunks to come back up just by watching it a second time which would have been tons easier than shoving my hand down my throat again. :mad: Flashy blinky scene-y changes might be trendy, but they're also totally dumb and appeal to the "I can't focus on something for more than 1.5 seconds crowd," which makes sense given the intended audience, I guess. :(

Anyhow, I think that angry fans sort of discouraged one of my favorite developers ever which stopped the sequel of [P]lanets from ever coming out. I was so disappointed when Teacup pretty much vanished, but after all the forum hate, I guess I could understand. [P]lanets was a great game, but for the people to which it didn't appeal, just not playing it would have been enough. Negative junk stands out among tons and tons of positive stuff.

Some fans are bad for it, some are good for them. I love the article he mentioned, IIRC, that guy was talking about a shitty game he was involved in, that deserved to trashed. The game was just a piece of crap, but that's what I remember, I could be wrong about that article.

Lawyering up for a bad ending is sad though. Sucky or not.

What I got from the video

- Talk about how fans got super upset at ME3's ending, then talk about how fans complaining is stifling innovation so instead we get tired sequels...

- Talk about how raging gamers are getting developers to quit, then show a professional critic/host of a show (not a "fan") calling a developer some names, and raging developer then quits...

- Video guy wearing fake glasses and dark buttoned up shirt to give himself more of a "nerdy" look to help give himself credibility as "one of you guys".

Companies are relying on social media to get the word out about their games. People who are on the internet and interacting on social media platforms realized years ago that they are completely anonymous. Thus they can say what they please without repercussions. Thus the "Angry Fan" was born.

I agree with the video. He could have just written a nice article, but he wanted to tap into the 1 second attention span of this generation so he made a video. I love his reasoning on why we keep getting fed the same concepts over and over, because we resist change. I knew that was the reason why before I watched the video, but it was nice to have another person affirm it.

If you don't agree with it go read the TitanFall thread on this forum. In that thread there are 25% people that really love the game, 25% that don't, and 50% who are complaining that it doesn't fit the holy blueprint for a shooter, MOBA, or whatever they think it should be. Those 50% are confused as to why they are having fun or not having fun. Almost 100% of everyone that has played the beta likes something about it. But regardless of what they think of the entire package, they are scared of change.

And then they will go right back and complain that CoD remains the same every year. :)

I agree with the video. He could have just written a nice article, but he wanted to tap into the 1 second attention span of this generation so he made a video.
I must not be from that generation, because I hate watching videos when an article can do it as well. But some of me does have that attention span, I want to skim through an article find what I want and not give a shit about anything else.

I love his reasoning on why we keep getting fed the same concepts over and over, because we resist change. I knew that was the reason why before I watched the video, but it was nice to have another person affirm it.
I dunno, some yes some no. Making a sequel to a game, yeah we're going to resist change because it's a sequel, by definition that's a continuation of what came before it. Master of Orion, awesome game, Master of Orion 2, same stuff, more of it, different engine, awesomer game, Master of Orion 3... WTF is this!?

We get innovation, it's there in droves. I think the part that's missed is just because you have a new "innovative" idea doesn't mean it's a good one. There are lots of new concepts that are down right horrible.

I like his points, but I can not taken him seriously because why would you wear glasses with no lenses? WHY!?! Especially BCG.

Though I partially agree with what he's trying to say, to temper or make more constructive criticism, I think? I don't think that's the main driver for getting continually regurgitated concepts and lack of innovation from the gaming industry.

I feel it's more for the same reasons we get shitty movie sequels or the same types of politicians over and over and over again. The powers that be know that it all worked at some point in the past and why go out on a limb and risk anything when they know the "Dumb Masses" will lap it all up. Yeah they might bitch about it afterwords, but they'll buy/vote for it over and over and over again, thinking it's gonna change/be better this time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm partially guilty of the same behavior. Some concepts, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." There are a few concepts/ideas that can be successfully extended out and rehashed. I am getting to the point in my life though that I'm starting to refuse to participate in the same old same old, just because everyone else is doing it.

My .02

I think that any time a customer refuses t buy something simply because it sucks they're hurting the industry. It's that kind of entitlement that keeps new players out of gaming.

Actually wait, is it entitlement to think you deserve what you want for your money, and If you don't get it you're going to head to twitter and call the development team a bunch of sell outs? Or is it entitlement to think you can shit on a disc, slap a popular IP's name on it and your fans had better buy it or you're heading to Twitter to call them bigots, cry-babies, entitled, spoiled, or they fear change, or whatever the "buy it and shut up" buzzword of the developer day is?

Did the chicken come first, or the egg? Are angry gamers forcing companies to make shit games, or are the shitty games of the last seven years making gamers angry?

If you don't agree with it go read the TitanFall thread on this forum. In that thread there are 25% people that really love the game, 25% that don't, and 50% who are complaining that it doesn't fit the holy blueprint for a shooter, MOBA, or whatever they think it should be. Those 50% are confused as to why they are having fun or not having fun. Almost 100% of everyone that has played the beta likes something about it. But regardless of what they think of the entire package, they are scared of change.

And then they will go right back and complain that CoD remains the same every year. :)

I think that companies opening themselves up for this type of nonsensical, unorganized shit storm is at least a problem on the same scale as people resisting change. Don't blame people for doing what they do when you give them every goddamn opportunity to do it.

Also, having criticized Titanfall in that very thread, I think you generalized in a really poor manner. There is almost always something to like about any game but that doesn't mean if they don't like the rest of it that they are scared of change. ---This is especially true when the things that people seem to like the most are what is actually different about the game.--- For me the gameplay experience isn't worth $60 (no, neither is CoD and I'd shoot myself if I fell for another Battlefield trap) but I'd have no problem picking it up as a sub $30 game as it is a nice alternative to what is otherwise available.

My bad. I see lenses.

One of the worst guy for the industry is marcus bear. I cant stand that guy. Hes so much full of himself

If you don't agree with it go read the TitanFall thread on this forum.

[...]

But regardless of what they think of the entire package, they are scared of change.

Actually, much of the criticism seems to be based around the premise that it's really not that different from CoD.

Just because they're fan boys, doesn't mean they are without legitimate concerns.

Angry gamers don't ruin games. They just point out bad games.

Though I do agree that people should create more then just point things they're angry about. But companies wouldn't hire any of us to work on games. Most of the people that complain have ideas and nothing more. Most developers barely play any video games at all. They're hired specifically for their talent in coding, art, or design. Not because they spent hours playing this game and thought they could improve on it's mechanics or level design.

That's the real disconnect that we see with developers and gamers. Most developers have no idea of what makes a game fun. They're worried about getting more game content into a game with less work, because gamers expect a lot more return from their games. So we see a lot of side missions that are boring and mostly disruptive to the game. Quests and achievements that essentially waste time. While the main story of the game can be finished within 1-2 days worth of play, not continuously. That's because a lot of that bloat content is really easy to make, and quick.

The game industry needs to hire more people that actually play games and analyze games. Essentially, they need an angry gamer to work for them. Look at Egoraptor with his Sequelitis Series. The guy is more then qualified for being a game developer, but they wouldn't hire him for ideas or game design. He's a great artist, but they don't care how he feels about game design or ideas. They just want a product, and have it pushed out in gamers faces for them to buy. Hiring developers who are better at their job, and cheap about it, is exactly what game studio's want. You can't blame the developers behind Mass Effect 3 for the ending, when EA didn't give them enough time to work on the game. The same thing can be said about Battlefield 4. It's not their fault that EA wants more money yesterday. They don't care about angry gamers, cause you idiots bought the game anyway.

Seriously, look at this photo. What's he going to do, assassinate the whale? Good chance EA payed good money to have this photo created, cause somebody can't wait to air assassinate a whale. BTW, speaking of bad games, but a lot of them do seem to come from EA. They're just bad games that could have been good, given that if developers had the proper time to work on it, and if they had insight from an angry gamer.
images

God that video was annoying.

I watched about 5 seconds of it just because I wanted see if he really was wearing glasses without lenses; he is.

Huge companies with shareholders that would rather play it safe and rehash thesame old bullshit over and over are responsible for bad games.
Fanboys that keep buying the same unfinidhed buggy games over and over enable companies to keep cranking out bullshit games.

My bad. I see lenses.

One of the worst guy for the industry is marcus bear. I cant stand that guy. Hes so much full of himself

his show on gametrailres started out interesting, but the last few episodes were little more than him insulting the viewers. respect is earned by what someone does and not by their age, status, title etc. yet he kept saying not so nice things about people who commented by arguing that he got over 9000 years of experience in the industry so his opinion is just "better". i'm glad they canned the show and he went "to pursue other interests" which means yet another video game blog on the internet noone cares about.

This is as far as I got in the video

"Fanboys didn't have a right to be mad at Mass Effect 3's terrible ending"
"Fanboys didn't have a right to complain that a feminist was trying to turn Beck into a woman"
"Fanboys didn't have a right to call out Phil Fish on his bullshit"

Thumbs down, quit video

Worse thing about being a gamer is the other gamers.

It's like the worst thing about Christianity is the Christians.

Worse thing about being a gamer is the other gamers.

It's like the worst thing about Christianity is the Christians.

I always thought the worst thing was all the bullshit they try to stuff down your throat. The same could be said for gaming...

My bad. I see lenses.

Nope, definitely no lenses. You can tell by the fact that there is light glare off of the frames themselves but none where the lenses should be. Hipster nonsense.

Didn't even make it all the way through the video...I agree that some gamers can be really cruel unnecessarily, but he must have chosen the worst possible examples because all of those seemed legit to me. Obviously not filing a lawsuit over the ME3 ending, but the ending was stupid bullshit and they needed to be called out on it. Same with Phil "Way too far up his own asshole" Fish. I'm not crying over no FEZ 2...first game was fun up to a point where it just laughed in your face at how much "smarter" it was than you.

No, these dickheads making these stupid videos are bad not only for games, but for everyone else. Fucking hit-whores.

Back