Are all PS4 PRO have these issues?

StormClaw

Gawd

I wanted to pull the trigger on the PRO, but now i'm not so sure.

Are all PROs are like that?

Sounds like a blower fan with very minimal clearance between the intake and the blades. Going to get oh so much louder as the dust blocks them and they spin even faster...

'popcorn.gif'

Some looked like crappy cables or handshaking so who knows.. few faulty units are to be expected as well with these things.

haha.. so a few bad PS4 pro's and your not wanting to pull the trigger? every product has a fail rate. people post about issues, not working as expected videos.

we have two in the house.. working fine after hours of playing. Just my $.02

haha.. so a few bad PS4 pro's and your not wanting to pull the trigger? every product has a fail rate. people post about issues, not working as expected videos.

I have never owned a console before so i'm not sure how widespread these PS4 Pro issues are.

My PS4 Pro has been fine for the most part. I haven't noticed any noise issues at all, even leaving games running 10+ hours. (Now, a few of the games have crashed, but that's more likely due to bad bugs and memory leaks than the PS4). The loudest it's been has been quieter than my PC at rest (which isn't loud at all). The only problem I have is that I have to turn on the PS4 Pro before I turn on the TV, or else I'll have to turn the TV off and back on again due to HDCP issues.

Unless it's a truly widespread problem I wouldn't let stop you from buying one. I don't know how Sony is these days, but I had a launch day PS3 that ended up shutting down with a YLOD. I called them up and explained the issue, they shipped me a nice big box to send it back in, and gave me a prepaid return label. It didn't cost me anything to replace my console and I had my new one in a week from the day I called them. Hopefully they still offer a quality RMA service like that in case you do have a problem down the road.

People are saying to wait for the next revision.

How long does that usually take? A few months?

Mine's been fine, no runaway blower sounds, had it for a few weeks now.

PS4 pro it worthless IMHO unless you have a 4k tv and just the right setup and even then it does not do true 4k with everything... ill wait for the ps5 or get a ps4 slim... The only thing potentially more disappointing about the ps4 pro is that the only positive step they did was put a better apu in it and even then they haphazardly tossed together the drivers and expected it all to work correctly. They should have known there would be issues with crossfire...

Amd should be very careful with future shipments to make sure this can not come back on them... I hope with the next hardware refresh sony gets a good soc to really shine but the bells be tolling for console games... I think the pc might become the prefered platform but microsoft is trying its damndest to kill that movement windows 10 is such a shit show...

Last edited:
PS4 pro it worthless IMHO unless you have a 4k tv and just the right setup and even then it does not do true 4k with everything... ill wait for the ps5 or get a ps4 slim... The only thing potentially more disappointing about the ps4 pro is that the only positive step they did was put a better apu in it and even then they haphazardly tossed together the drivers and expected it all to work correctly. They should have known there would be issues with crossfire...

Amd should be very careful with future shipments to make sure this can not come back on them... I hope with the next hardware refresh sony gets a good soc to really shine but the bells be tolling for console games... I think the pc might become the prefered platform but microsoft is trying its damndest to kill that movement windows 10 is such a shit show...

Somebody had a sad Christmas

I have a 2016 Sony 74" 4k HDR TV

I can buy PS5 when it arrives in a year or later. As for the slim, why settle for less if there is an option for better graphics and smoother gameplay?
Have you seen how not well the ps4 pro is working... By going with a ps4 slim you get a mostly bug free without artifacts or stutter introduced by the crossfired APu the only thing is you can't upscale past 1080p...

I do not think you can blame the console for this. the games are not 4k so yes... upscale and a 4k TV thats able to do UHD and hdr. its all about the games. you buy a 4k blue ray and you will get what your paying for. new tec... give the debs some time to get there. my $0.02

PS4 pro it worthless IMHO unless you have a 4k tv
You sure about that? Digital Foundry has found the Pro plays many games at 1080p better than the standard model. For example, The Last Guardian plays significantly better on Pro at 1080p.

IMO the PS4 Pro isn't worthless if you don't have a 4K television, but the benefits are pretty small. At the same time, it's future-proofing a little if you think you might end up with a 4K TV at some point.
If I didn't own either system, I'd probably go the pro route.
As far as issues, mine definitely kicks up the fan in Uncharted. Especially with HDR on. It isn't unbearable, but it's tough not to notice. I haven't noticed it with anything else.

I wanted to pull the trigger on the PRO, but now i'm not so sure.

Are all PROs are like that?

So you hung a $10,000 dollar TV on the wall in your bedroom, so you can lay down and play video games.

....and you're worried about ps4 pro reliability. HUH?

So you hung a $10,000 dollar TV on the wall in your bedroom, so you can lay down and play video games.

....and you're worried about ps4 pro reliability. HUH?

Actually the $10,000 TV is in the living room.

In the bedroom i have a $7,000 65" LG OLED (4K HDR etc)

And yeah, i research products before i buy them. If i got the money it doesn't mean i should be stupid about it.

Actually the $10,000 TV is in the living room.

In the bedroom i have a $7,000 65" LG OLED (4K HDR etc)

And yeah, i research products before i buy them. If i got the money it doesn't mean i should be stupid about it.

Then you have a bed in your living room, which is equally as weird.

Seems the PS4 Pro being able to do true HD with AA is worth it compared to 900p and no AA; all without 4k TV.

Have a PS4 Pro myself and it's quieter than my OG PS4; meaning I can't hear it at all. OP, like this Orddie says everything has a failure rate. If you go online you'll hear about it more b/c more people go online to bitch than to say "My product is working just as it should!" The people who have no issues with their product are too busy enjoying them to go online and talk about how great they're working...

Just follow standard protocol as with everything else you buy. Every retailer has a return policy; if you have a issue with yours then exchange it.

There are no issues with the PS4 Pro. If there is an issue I am sure you can claim warranty and crap.

One (minor) issue that lots of people have been reporting since the last firmware is a random blank screen. On my system it tends to happen about 10 minutes after being turned on. You'll just be playing normally and then the screen will go black for 2-3 seconds (audio is still normal) and things will return to normal. I've lost at least one Sparrow race and blown a level of Rush of Blood as a result. It rarely happens more than once, but if it happens a 2nd time, it usually occurs not long after the first one.
Per the reports on Sony's website, it started after the last firmware update and people are able to consistently reproduce it.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues with mine. Bought it at launch, and have put 200-300 hours on it since purchase. Zero problems thus far.

Mine is in an open cabinet with plenty of airflow.

Mine is quieter than the original PS4 it replaced and has worked great so far.

I think the black screen dropouts are related to certain TV and/or Amp combinations. They're widespread, but not everyone gets them. Apparently the handshakes related to HDMI 2.0a are a complete mess.
I am a little curious if everyone's cranks up with Uncharted 4 in HDR, though. While not as bad as the original Xbox 360 or the early PS3 models, my fan definitely hits at least 75%. That's open-air on a TV stand rack, too.

We just got a replacement unit back from Sony. We were getting random, greenish, artifact-like dots all over the screen in certain games such as Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son. The Last of Us was unaffected. We tried a new HDMI cable, using a different HDMI port and nothing would fix it. We also used the same cable and port that an Xbox One had been using for years without any issues. Unfortunately, we are still having the same problem with the new/refurb unit so I'm guessing it's a driver/firmware issue of some kind. Also, we are not using a 4k tv for it yet. I never buy extended warranties, but I did this time around and I have a feeling I may have to use it in the future once the first year with Sony is over. I have also experienced the sudden blank screens, but they only last a second or 2.

We just got a replacement unit back from Sony. We were getting random, greenish, artifact-like dots all over the screen in certain games such as Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son. The Last of Us was unaffected. We tried a new HDMI cable, using a different HDMI port and nothing would fix it. We also used the same cable and port that an Xbox One had been using for years without any issues. Unfortunately, we are still having the same problem with the new/refurb unit so I'm guessing it's a driver/firmware issue of some kind. Also, we are not using a 4k tv for it yet. I never buy extended warranties, but I did this time around and I have a feeling I may have to use it in the future once the first year with Sony is over. I have also experienced the sudden blank screens, but they only last a second or 2.

Did you change the color options in the display settings in the PS4 settings?

I'd start tinkering with the different display settings on the PS4 Pro. Ditto with the television. Sometimes if the settings don't line up, that can be just as messy.

I did go through some already with Sony support. I'm getting ready to buy a 4k tv here really soon. I'll tinker with them a little more then. Thanks

I'm having some display issues on a Vizio 70 series 4k TV. Google is filled with PS4 Pro and Vizio TV compatibility issues.

Resident Evil 7 for instance has a weird black texture when I'm up close to leafs or the ground outside. Also, I opened the fridge in the beginning of the game and the crap at the bottom had a bunch of white dots. Obviously not supposed to be there.

Just bought a PS4 Pro last week. No noise or display related issues on a 4 year old TV, 2 year old TV, or 5 year old monitor.

Buying a PS4 today... hooking it up to my RCA 630-TS. Will update with results.

Back