Are all LCDs like this?

SSlaytanic

Limp Gawd
First of all, I use a HP-brand CRT at home. Everything is crystal clear, and the images are sharp as can be.

The LCDs that my school uses is a Dell 1707FP. It's in the native res (12x10) and the color is set up properly, and in DVI.

The problem? Every image I look at on this LCD are really blurry and has loss of detail, compared to my CRT at home. Every picture look like a super-compressed jpeg (even when it's a high quality PNG image). Also, when I move a window around the desktop, all the text in that window acts really blurry and change into a reddish color.

Is this problem in every LCD or am I just spoiled by my CRT at home? Does this problem still persist when the lights are out (I always have lights out at my house, but the lights are always on at the school)?

Is the 1707 a 6 or 8 bit panel? Does that really matter? I was thinking of getting a Dell 24xx sometime but this 1707 was the first LCD that I really checked out. And it quite hampered my intrest in LCDs... or does this monitor just suck?

I had a Dell 2405fpw that I got rid of. I have a Dell 1707fp that I like much better than the 2405.

As far as blurry goes. I can't help you there. LCDs are sharp, sometimes too sharp in that you see every individual pixel. Unless maybe you aren't running at the native resolution, then they look pretty ugly/blurry. Or possibly if it is defective. My 1707fp is razor sharp.

As far as moving the window around and seeing the text blur. Yep that is normal LCD motion blur. Every LCD I have seen does that. Again the 1707fp is actually much better than my Dell 2405 was for motion blur.

my school runs a dell panels and i notice what you are talking about on them, my LCD i use right now does not have that issue, im unsure of why it does it but i can only assume it is deffective.

Those school LCDs are set to a lower resolution for visibility reasons for some students. As you know, LCDs look blurry at less than native resolutions.

Do you know what display adapter they are hooked up to? Here at work, we mostly have the 1704 from dell and they're really nice. ATI x300 graphics is all they're running on.

si0dine said:
Those school LCDs are set to a lower resolution for visibility reasons for some students. As you know, LCDs look blurry at less than native resolutions.
they where set at 1280x1024, the native resolution.

when you dragged an image across the screen you could see it was clear in some areas, but blurry in others, rather odd.

Faction said:
they where set at 1280x1024, the native resolution.

when you dragged an image across the screen you could see it was clear in some areas, but blurry in others, rather odd.

That sounds more like abuse. You know someone pressing on the sensitive LCD panel might have partially wrecked it. Certainly would happen in any computer lab I have been in. We were lucky CRTs kept working with the pounding they would get.

I suggest the original poster check out some LCDs at a computer store, they may be in better shape.

Could be the video card they are running on? Especially if it is onboard.

I have two computers at home, one for games with 2X 7800GTs, and one for just websurfing and word processing for my wife, which has an old TNT2 card. Heck, the TNT2 is probably WORSE than today's onboard. There is a noticable difference in image quality, even when hooked to the same LCD panel.

-TyShoe

i found what they use... it's intel "GMA 950" graphics from an optiplex GX620 ultra small form factor... so is that the reason images and videos look washed out and blury? I use a 9800 Pro on my CRT.

Looks to me like its the intel onboard video that's giving less than adequate performance on the lcd. I dont know much about onboard video solutions but since its an onboard on a Dell no less, thats a double whammy. But given how tight school budgets are these days that's expected.

SSlaytanic said:
i found what they use... it's intel "GMA 950" graphics from an optiplex GX620 ultra small form factor... so is that the reason images and videos look washed out and blury? I use a 9800 Pro on my CRT.
Then it is vga connection not dvi. bluring is caused by vga connection not setup properly...a default auto button press usually solves the problem.

Are you talking about blurring as in 'moving windows' or blurring as in washed out/blurry images and video?

I am 99% it is DVI, because I did that auto thing. And it says DVI on the cable.

Back