Are all Lappies slow, or is it just me

WillowHawk

Gawd
Is it just me or the hardware...for some curious reason, all of the laptop that ive used in my life have always been slower than their comparative desktops. i really dont understand why this is. Much slower boot times, shut down times. is it the heat? (no not ignorant, but i do know that heat can be a bitch to speed) is it the miniature architechture (sp)? is it the voltages?..i knwo that all laptops cnt be like this, or the busness wouldnt be around so long. some info would be wonderful

Usually it's the hard drive. Laptops usually have 4200 RPM hdd's....lots slower than the 7200 drives you find in most desktops (performance ones anyways). If you upgrade your laptop drive to the Hitachi 7K60 drive, you'll see a big performance gain.

yea
also i'm no 100% sure, but i think ram speeds are a bit slower as well
but usually it's the hard drive

I think the newer generation of laptops are very much desktop comparable.

The laptop I'm on right now has 1024MB PC2700 RAM, 60GB 7200RPM hd(I think it has 8mb cache). Equiped with a Pentium M 1.7Ghz, it's faster than my Pentium 4 2.26Ghz 512 PC800 RDRAM 120GB 7200RPM hd.

Laptops based on the new Pentium M architecture, combined with a good MR graphics card, and good HD are very comparable to desktops these days

compare apples to apples... do you want battery life or performance? You can make a laptop just as fast as a desktop -- but your battery life will suffer.

Notebooks for hte most part are slightly behind desktops for peformance, except for those insane sager ones with the onboard raid and stuff. I'm used to an XP-M @ 2.5ghz Specs in sig. But when using mylaptop I only notice a slight slowdown when multitasking. I think its becasue of the slower DDR mem on the notebook. As for as gaming goes i'm not a hardcore gamer but i'm very comfortable running D3 and Farcry on my notebook. BTW The hard drive has a huge impact on performance, everlatop should come with a 7200rpm hard drive :D

I have an older 8200 and for anything short of the newer games (the GeForce 4 Go 440 is
showing its age) its got some pep to it.

What sort of laptop setups have you worked with? Most people dont format theirs to get
rid of the bloated install on laptops.

well toshiba sattellie P25-s507 was the one that my dad has. and yes it has some pretty good specs, but still it runs slower thana comparible tower that we built.and the reason we didnt get rid of the bloatware is because somewhere online we read that the OS install on a lap cant really be replaced completely, and any attemps to do so may cause the thing not to work the way it should. now, thats just hear-say, but my dad (careful as always) refused to take the chance. um, i've played around with my uncles lap, dont remember the specs, but it seemed to be alright, but it was always just a lil slower than the comparable desktop...could just be a psychological illution, idk, just thought that there was a difference

toshiba notebooks are never fast. I don't know what they do to them, but they're always very disappointing.

check out an Asus notebook (M6N) and see what you think, then.

i have a 7200rpm drive in my laptop, i upgraded from a 4200rpm drive...and i did notice it to be faster but its still not anywhere near as fast as alot of people said it would be. i think its because of the ali chipset in my laptop.

It is not just you... most laptops (gaming laptops aside) ship with 4,200 RPM hard drives, and that what causes the slow boot/shut down times you are referring to. Buy a 7,200 RPM drive w/8 megs of cache and it will seem like a brand new laptop to you :D

Back