Are 60mm fans 60mm square?

sarbz

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a major noob question, and I don't have any fans laying around to check (besides the 120 in my work computer, that I'm not allowed to take apart :( )

I searched first, but couldn't find anything.

Is a 60mm fan exactly 60mm in width/height? Is that the size of the fan cage, or is that the diameter of the fan blades? same goes for 80, 120, etc.

the fan size refers to width/breadth/hight of the whole unit, so a 120x25mm fan is 120mm wide, 120mm across, and 25mm deep.

I believe the size (60,80,92,120mm) is the diameter of the fan blades. The fan casings/frames are supposed to be square, but I don't see any particular reason that this is absolutely important, so long as the fan is able to freely spin.

Most case fans are 25mm deep/thick, but most of the 60mm fans are thinner, and some fans are considerably thicker.

hmmm...two different answers. Maybe I'll just wait until I get home and measure one.

sarbz said:
hmmm...two different answers. Maybe I'll just wait until I get home and measure one.
this would be your best bet as i agree with the second opinion. I think that the fan size is the size of the blades and not the whole unit

My ruler says that a 60mm fan is 60x60mm, the inner diameter is about 56mm.

I googled for "fan size 80mm case or blades", and found this:

"The fan size (50mm, 80mm etc) refers to the length of any one of the sides of the fan, not the diameter of the blades or the distance between screw holes."

-from an old page on www.quietpc.ca

Google had the text chached :D

Well there you go. I'm glad to have more accurate information.

It's the fan's casing... That'd only make sense considering different 80mm fans have different sized blades... how would you standardize anything for that matter?

Its the length from the top edge of the fan casing to the bottom edge, or from the left to the right.
Its not the diameter or the blades, or the length between the screw holes.
Just the size of the housing.

I could throw up a image with a ruler if its that confusing.

MeanieMan said:
Its the length from the top edge of the fan casing to the bottom edge, or from the left to the right.
Its not the diameter or the blades, or the length between the screw holes.
Just the size of the housing.

I could throw up a image with a ruler if its that confusing.

Nope. I got it. Thanks!

BTW, it's for my aria mod. I want to make the air ducts before I get home :D

Back