Are 1440P IPS 120hz monitors still the best for gaming?

eddie500

Gawd
I bought my Overlord Tempest over a year ago.

I haven't been researching much about monitor technology. But is this 27" 1440P monitor still the best for gaming?

Or possible there is something better now that everybody is using, like 4K, OLED, 3440x1440 monitors?

Thanks.

Best for gaming lol? ROG Swift 1440p 144hz destroys them for gaming. Especially with GSYNC or ULMB.

Best for gaming lol? ROG Swift 1440p 144hz destroys them for gaming. Especially with GSYNC or ULMB.

Thanks!, This is why I asked because it is very hard to find out about the latest niche technology.

This looks interesting, especially since I wanted the Gsync and high refresh rate.

Yeah good luck finding one and when you do expect to shell out over $800. Ive heard some have gone for a cool grand!

I never used Gsync or UMLB, but I use a 1440p 120hz monitor, and I cannot go back to 60hz period.

Now if 1440p 120hz is that badass, imagine a gsync or ULMB 120hz monitor.

Do I think its worth spending $500 for Gsync and UMLB? No....

Can you link to it? How good is it? I need a new monitor and considering something like the rog but I want a 24 & not sure bc I've always owned ips monitors

But that is not a gsync model...What is the best 24 that's most similar to the rog or one does not exist

The 24 inch version 144hz seem over priced..Will there ever be any in the 300»400 range?

the 120 Hz 1440p ips panels are a good compromise between image quality and fluidity, but they are still very, very blurry compared to tn. after a few weeks of playing on mine i switched back to my vg236 because the blur was too much for me and was negatively affecting my gameplay. i think gsync is kind of stupid on 1080p monitors, because odds are, if you're even considering a 144 Hz monitor, you have the gpu power to push most games at 120+ fps, which makes gsync useless and ulmb/lightboost the more obvious option (unless you prefer slightly more blur and zero input lag with vanilla 144 Hz.)

the pg278q is the best monitor for gaming right now. if that's out of your price range, then the vg248qe or xl2411z are what i would be looking at. the xl2420g is ludicrously priced in my opinion.

Really, gsync is useless if you have a high FPS?

I thought that it still synced the monitor at the same time with the video card irregardless if FPS matches refresh rate.

But I neve really researched any of this in depth.

That ben q would be prefect however for 650 it just sounds to expensive...if the Asus is 800 you might as well save up another measly 150...if it was 400 that sounds a bit more reasonable. I wish there was a place to see these Asus monitors in action..I might just but from best buy and return it if it's not for me..

Really, gsync is useless if you have a high FPS?

I thought that it still synced the monitor at the same time with the video card irregardless if FPS matches refresh rate.

But I neve really researched any of this in depth.

the 120 Hz 1440p ips panels are a good compromise between image quality and fluidity, but they are still very, very blurry compared to tn. after a few weeks of playing on mine i switched back to my vg236 because the blur was too much for me and was negatively affecting my gameplay. i think gsync is kind of stupid on 1080p monitors, because odds are, if you're even considering a 144 Hz monitor, you have the gpu power to push most games at 120+ fps, which makes gsync useless and ulmb/lightboost the more obvious option (unless you prefer slightly more blur and zero input lag with vanilla 144 Hz.)

the pg278q is the best monitor for gaming right now. if that's out of your price range, then the vg248qe or xl2411z are what i would be looking at. the xl2420g is ludicrously priced in my opinion.

GSYNC still makes an enormous difference even if you are getting 120+ fps. Things look much, much smoother because the frame timings are always exact.

GSYNC still makes an enormous difference even if you are getting 120+ fps. Things look much, much smoother because the frame timings are always exact.

i don't quite agree that it's a big difference but yea it's noticeable

But that is not a gsync model...

But it proves that BenQ has not improved the preset colour accuracy of their 24" XL series in 2 years since they still come set to the awful FPS modes and need to have the settings changed (Standard Mode, gamma change, Colour Temperature change) to achieve optimal performance.

Aside from the grainy PG278Q, all of the 144hz monitors still offer inferior colour preset quality compared to the 3 & 4 year old Asus VG236H and Samsung 7x0 & 950 series 120hz monitors.

Still a bit high..I think 450 is best..want to see them in action

That's my biggest problem. There's a lot of these things I want to see in action first. Easier said than done.

I am glad that I have outlets including our friend NCX here that do the best they can via the Internet to try and take some of the guesswork out of all of this.

But it proves that BenQ has not improved the preset colour accuracy of their 24" XL series in 2 years since they still come set to the awful FPS modes and need to have the settings changed (Standard Mode, gamma change, Colour Temperature change) to achieve optimal performance.

Aside from the grainy PG278Q, all of the 144hz monitors still offer inferior colour preset quality compared to the 3 & 4 year old Asus VG236H and Samsung 7x0 & 950 series 120hz monitors.

That's a shame.

I bought my Overlord Tempest over a year ago.

I haven't been researching much about monitor technology. But is this 27" 1440P monitor still the best for gaming?

Or possible there is something better now that everybody is using, like 4K, OLED, 3440x1440 monitors?

Thanks.

How's the Tempest working for you?

Im considering ordering one myself.

How's the Tempest working for you?

Im considering ordering one myself.

It's working quite well. I really like this monitor and have no issues with ghosting or lag.

I honestly don't think it is even worth upgrading it until OLEDs finally get here.

My Nvidia GTX580 is getting old now and was thinking about upgrading to the GTX 970. Then I saw that the GTX 980 is recommended over the GTX 970 if running high resolutions like 4K. So I thought I'd see what the best current technology is to see if I should get the 980 over the 970.

Being that there is really nothing great out there, and 4K is supposedly not worth it, I'm just going to get the GTX 970.

Any monitors worth taking a look at for gaming with with almost ips quality?

ya the korean overclockable ips monitors are worth taking a look at :D

if you mean a non tn high refresh rate monitor, i think the only option is the eizo fg2421, but apparently it's a panel lottery

AHVA=IPS made by AUO. The panels mentioned above will likely not show up in monitors until next March since they only started making the panels recently.

ooo is it really going to be that much better than the Asus - Republic of Gamers Swift 27" 3D LCD HD Monitor? And is the rog even worth the price tag considering you could get an IPS 27 inch monitor for a lot cheaper? What is currently the best IPS monitor for gaming 24 inch & 27 inch?

Last edited:
AHVA=IPS made by AUO. The panels mentioned above will likely not show up in monitors until next March since they only started making the panels recently.

Only if someone makes display using that panel.

I remember people were excited since AUO had 120 Hz MVA panels listed last year but no monitor uses them.

Back