Are 10k & 15K HDD's for a laptop with SATA 1 pointless?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
Are 10k & 15K HDD's for a laptop with SATA 1 pointless? I'm asking cause my 5400 rpm drive is failing and you can get 10k's much cheaper than a SSD. Which is pointless for SATA 1 on this laptop.

Or should I just go with a 7200 rpm drive? Advise?

I would still go with an SSD over any spinning drive in a laptop. Not only will it be faster, but its better suited to mobile applications. 10k and 15k drives use more power than 5400rpm drives as well.

Don't bother with 10k or 15k on a laptop. That will needlessly drain the battery, and propvide only a small improvement over 7200 rpm. Those are built for dense servers, not low-power laptops

How old s the laptop? because you really have to go back ten years or more to not have support for SATA2. And SATA2 (3.0 Gbps) is plenty for an SSD to benefit you.

Don't bother with 10k or 15k on a laptop. That will needlessly drain the battery, and propvide only a small improvement over 7200 rpm. Those are built for dense servers, not low-power laptops

How old s the laptop? because you really have to go back ten years or more to not have support for SATA2. And SATA2 (3.0 Gbps) is plenty for an SSD to benefit you.

Believe it or not even though this laptop was built in 2011 it only has SATA I. It is an HP 2000 that my wife bought from Walmart on a black friday sale for $250.

Are these SATA drives? SAS drives will not work on a SATA port. What about the height? I expect them to be SAS drives and have a form factor that is thicker than any modern laptop would support also I expect the power draw to be higher.

Last edited:
put an ssd in it. even crippled by the sata1 it will be faster than any hdd and you can always transplant it later.

I think you are looking at 2.5" form factor drives and think they are suitable for laptops, they are not, those drives are for servers, and are not suitable for laptops. Just because your laptop is SATA 1 doesn't mean you won't realize performance improvements from having an SSD. SATA3 SSDs are backwards compatible with SATA1.

The cheapest bargain trash ssd (as long as its not fake) would make more sense than spinning rust in a laptop.

More reliable too.

I'd look for the SSD with the best QD-1 random performance as I doubt that would even saturate Sata 1 speeds. Shame an optane solution wouldn't work, that'd be quite an interesting solution

I forgot I need 300 GB's.
I'd look for the SSD with the best QD-1 random performance as I doubt that would even saturate Sata 1 speeds. Shame an optane solution wouldn't work, that'd be quite an interesting solution

What's a good QD-1 performance # for SATA 1? >70?

Last edited:
https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-20...ws-8-64-bit-4-gb-ram-320-gb-hdd-series/specs/

This spec page says Sata 300.

If performance is an issue, a faster hard drive will only do so much. That AMD Brazos 1.3 ghz s terrible. It was barely a deal at 250."

Nope. That's too new. Mine has Windows 7.

Mine is a HP 2000-329WM with an AMD E350 cpu and 3 GB DDR3. Unfortunately it only has SATA 1.

Edit: In fact I found my old post on it from a long time ago:

https://hardforum.com/threads/just-...-for-248-time-to-mod.1654402/#post-1038188839

UPDATE !!

Just installed HWiNFO and it says my SATA controller is 3 Gb/s. So I have SATA II.

Last edited:
I forgot I need 300 GB's.

What's a good QD-1 performance # for SATA 1? >70?
Can't say for sure, I honestly get a bit too confused about all the SSD jargon to trust myself to make you a recommendation. I would just be mindful of low QD metrics as they are moreso what affects everyday user workloads and should not be bottlenecked by your sata II interface.

Not pointless, but probably next to impossible. Even so, very unpractical as they would generate a lot of heat.

I told you, all Brazos systems support Sata 2. And that will certainly get the most out of an inexpensive drive like the mx500

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Shoot, I've even read of people using SATA->PATA adapters with SSDs. That is still preferable over a mechanical if it is your only drive bay.

Shoot, I've even read of people using SATA->PATA adapters with SSDs. That is still preferable over a mechanical if it is your only drive bay.
ive seen that too. no matter what its connected to a ssd will always be faster.

Plus, it is sold on Amazon.
sweet deal but wtf amazon.ca?! that drive is $170CAN!?!?

For a good value I would look towards Microcenter's house brand 480GB SSDs. Not the best perf, but I doubt the Muskin one would be either. Does seem to fall behind in QD-1 perf though.

Plus, it is sold on Amazon.
And here is a recent review by TweakTown.

It is $72.99 at Amazon and $69.99 at MC

Great deal! Just bought it thanks!

Back