Arctic Unveils the MX-6 High Performance Thermal Compound

erek

[H]F Junkie
Pretty cool. Based on the proven formula of MX-4?

"The Arctic MX-6 has a viscosity of 550 poise, density of 3.2 g/cm³, 1.9 X 1013 Ω-cm, and a breakdown voltage of 250 V/mil. Each application can stay in place for 8 years (maintain conductivity and viscosity). The company didn't mention chemical composition or conductivity figures, yet. It comes in syringe-type dispensers of 2 g, 4 g, and 8 g, as well as a bundle of a 4 g dispenser with six MX Cleaner wipes. The MX-6 is available from now, priced at USD $6.79 for the 2 g syringe, $8.49 for the 4 g syringe, $9.79 for the 4 g syringe and 6 pieces of MX Cleaner wipes; and $11.99 for the 8 g syringe. These are introductory prices."

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/299840/arctic-unveils-the-mx-6-high-performance-thermal-compound

I'll stick with my Prolimatech PK-3. It just works! FrgMstr turned me on to this stuff.

I did use MX-4 back in the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
1.2 x 10 ^13 ohms resistance
Or
Or
12 trillion ohms

It's safe to say you can smear this all over your motherboard and no shorts. It's basically electrically devoid.

Or
Or
12 trillion ohms

It's safe to say you can smear this all over your motherboard and no shorts. It's basically electrically devoid.
121geeg.gif

Looks like the marketing says ~20% better than MX-4, so not sure how that is in relation to Kryonaut.

?? I tried looking this up but I didn't see any evidence of it not lasting very long?
It was a video Derbauer did a couple years ago about paste "pump out". He recommended to repaste thermal grizzly every 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Or
Or
12 trillion ohms

Sweet, should become standard SAS issue as an electrical torture inhibitor.
Hmm, I wonder if mains voltage will become a tickle, more fun in the bedroom ;)

I bought some, I have to do a CPU swap on my machine and another machine sometime soon. We'll see how it works.

Just re-did my X61 Kraken and 5800X, replacing MX-4 I applied a year ago with MX-6. Not done any real stress testing but gaming temps are the same, FWIW.

i want to try this but i aint paying $25CAN for a 4g tube, thats insane. so i sent them a WTF message...
I would send you a tube of it but between the shipping and customs, by the time you got it you could have fabricated it from scratch. Still, look up the shipping from Portage, Indiana to your location and we can give it a go might take 2 months to get to you regardless of the shipping speed.

I tired the stuff it and it doesn't do anything special with my Noctua NH-U12A I ever reapplied it with a thicker coat I mean they give you a big tube right.
It's thick though it on par of thickness with my Artic Silver 5 it's not stupidly thin like some Thermals pastes. Whatever you do don't use the included Toxic wipes that come in the box
these things stink worse than Gas I had to make a trip to the garage it was so bad the fumes are horrible with the wipes.I ran Intel XTU with my 13700K with Artic Silver and MX-6 for two minutes a few times all the temps were basically the same the highest temp was around 89 but that is all cores Maxed. Maybe the overall and general use temps would be lower but not for the stress tests. I really need a AIO cooler but I can't stand those things I mean if it breaks you need another one for a Backup.

Maybe it need a cure time over a few day I duno I can try it after a week agaain.

324873565_705007381001582_951643417871149286_n.jpggo

1673795218020.png

thats CAN$, 8g tubes of mx-4 are $14. they are ignoring my "whats with the price" question...

So what is the verdict on MX-6? I had this stuff saved in my shopping list on Amazon, but went with some CoolerMaster CryoFuze to give a shot

I would imagine that because of modern manufacturing techniques that paste matters less and less. The [H] did a roundup a long time ago and it was maybe a 4 degree spread total between something like 8 different pastes.

This was also back in the days of people lapping their processors to mirror finish flatness etc. which used to have a big effect. These days heat spreaders are “more flat” or rather the process variation is minimized. Flatter heatspreaders mean better contact. Better contact means that there are less transfer gains to be made by paste.

I definitely wouldn’t expect that any “magic paste” would change anything. The only gains that might exist is in longevity. Newer pastes may take way longer to dry out and don’t need to be replaced as often.

Last edited:
I would imagine that because of modern manufacturing techniques that paste matters less and less. The [H] did a roundup a long time ago and it was maybe a 4 degree spread total between something like 8 different pastes.

This was also back in the days of people lapping their processors to mirror finish flatness etc. which used to have a big effect. These days heat spreaders are “more flat” or rather the process variation is minimized. Flatter heatspreaders mean better contact. Better contact means that there are less transfer gains to be made by paste.

I definitely wouldn’t expect that any “magic paste” would change anything. The only gains that might exist is in longevity. Newer pastes may take way longer to dry out and don’t need to be replaced as often.

i remember that roundup. the days of arctic silver. that was like 15 years ago.

sorry *13 years ago: Thermal Paste Shootout - Q209

i thought kyle was going to keep the reviews up. i guess not. things change, i get it.

I got some Lower Temps today maybe just had to let the stuff settle or whatever thermal paste does.

Artic Silver 5.jpg

Artic Silver 5

MX-6.jpg

MX-6

E-Cores are in the 70s and lower Package Temp

It's now all within the realm of "how lucky was that application over the last?" You can use the same paste 4 different times and get +1 -1 +2 -2 depending on luck of the draw.

i should add i have to give kyle props for plugging mg chemicals, a canadian brand.

it's my go-to for all electronic solvents and solders.
unsurprisingly, it was founded in 1955, when we used 'win' under a flag that was known to do only that.

it's nice to see people respected our chops in chemistry world-wide.

it's a shame we've become a country represented by cocaine-crazed goofs, especially in music and politics.

🇧🇲 (bermuda is the closest available emoji, so i'll use that)

The old 8610 was a USA made paste, the newer 8616 is "produced" in Canada fwiw but yes, a Canadian company. 👍
cool.

are many of their formulas american? i assume there's no patent protection on stuff like this.

it's probably a british company more than canadian, even though that should be the same thing.

"back then" the people from the "little islands" would come here and start up, but the money was really from there.

a good example of that is the thomson family.

Back