Arctic Silver - Ceremique any good?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
Accually, I have never heard of this :eek:

But My Buddy has a tube of this.... so Should I sppend the money on AS5 for my Rig? or just use his Ceremique for free?

Thanks

you cant beat free

besides ceramique avoids shortcircuiting and is easier removed than silver

um...I have silver ceramique and as far as I now, once you apply it, it is stuck on permanently. The Arctic Silver will come off, the ceramique is an adhesive that attaches whatever you want on permanently. However, if you mix it 1:1 with arctic silver, it might not adhere permanently. Trust me, I attached some ram sinks to my southbridge with the arctic ceramique and it is now on stronger than anything.

omniviper said:
you cant beat free

besides ceramique avoids shortcircuiting and is easier removed than silver

AS5 isn't conductive, AS3 is.

magnuspah said:
um...I have silver ceramique and as far as I now, once you apply it, it is stuck on permanently. The Arctic Silver will come off, the ceramique is an adhesive that attaches whatever you want on permanently. However, if you mix it 1:1 with arctic silver, it might not adhere permanently. Trust me, I attached some ram sinks to my southbridge with the arctic ceramique and it is now on stronger than anything.

are you thinking of adhesive...ceramique comes off

magnuspah said:

The white ceramique is not an adhesive and does come off.
I tried both and posted the results hear somewhere.
They both work well.
Ceramique isn't conductive
AS5 is alittle.
Where the two mating surfaces aren't perfect, Like Arctic Cooleers NV5 on the memory,
I use ceramique
Also don't have to worry about it ozzing onto some traces
On The GPU or CPU AS5 always

I don't think it's worth the money if you can get something decent like ceramique for free. I bought some recently over AS5 simply because I got 22 grams for the same price as a 3.5gram tube of AS.

OPUS1 said:

How well does Ceramique work for slot A heatsinks? Because there's a gap between the heatsink and the CPU core, and usually slot HSF's use adhesive thermal pads (which I want to replace due to age).

If you can get some ASC for free, don't bother with AS5.....result differences would be negligible at best...and technically ASC is "safer" if you tend to use too much compound. Also, kinda offtopic, but ASC is the preferred paste of many ppl running their CPU's at sub-zero temps, it holds up and performs as it should under conditions where even AS3/5 doesn't do too well.

Yeah thats why I asked. I have access to the Ceremique now, but When I order all my parts, I could just throw a tube of AS5 in there. I guess if I am spending alot already, 10 more$ is no big deal. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about it

USMC2Hard4U said:
Yeah thats why I asked. I have access to the Ceremique now, but When I order all my parts, I could just throw a tube of AS5 in there. I guess if I am spending alot already, 10 more$ is no big deal. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about it

Fair enough, I'd still take AS5 for daily use, but I still find ASC a little easier to work with...not quite as thick as AS5.

OPUS1 said:
The white ceramique is not an adhesive and does come off.
I tried both and posted the results hear somewhere.
They both work well.
Ceramique isn't conductive
AS5 is alittle.
Where the two mating surfaces aren't perfect, Like Arctic Cooleers NV5 on the memory,
I use ceramique
On The GPU or CPU AS5 always

Well i wouldnt say AS5 is conductive, or nothing to matter anyway.

I used AS5 on my X800Pro when i fitted my new cooler on it and i did get a few tiny bits on the PCB. It certainly cant be bad, because that card has been running with all 16pipes open at 550/570 for like 9 months.

i prefer AS ceramique. The delta temp i've seen is at best 3c (AS5 besting it), but most of the time i see the delta at 1c or so. It's also easier to apply, IMO (unless you use the full on dab and squish technique, which IMO doesn't work that well with IHS chips.

Works good for sub zero and cooler temps, too. The AS5 in my expereince needs a good burn in.

diredesire said:
i prefer AS ceramique. The delta temp i've seen is at best 3c (AS5 besting it), but most of the time i see the delta at 1c or so. It's also easier to apply, IMO (unless you use the full on dab and squish technique, which IMO doesn't work that well with IHS chips.

Works good for sub zero and cooler temps, too. The AS5 in my expereince needs a good burn in.

Bit for bit exactly what I believe...nice to know I'm not crazy. :cool:

I guess I will just use the Ceremique. It cant hurt I guess. Since i alwatys think its a Pain to put on AS all evenly and what not. This looks like you can just glop it on, spread it around really quick and bingo you are golden. I still have the Original AS1 on my Northwood and it runs great, so I guess this will be ok too.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I guess I will just use the Ceremique. It cant hurt I guess. Since i alwatys think its a Pain to put on AS all evenly and what not. This looks like you can just glop it on, spread it around really quick and bingo you are golden. I still have the Original AS1 on my Northwood and it runs great, so I guess this will be ok too.

Pretty much...yeah.

USMC2Hard4U said:

If your CPU has an IHS and your using AS5 all you do is apply a small drop to the center of the IHS and smash the heatsink down on it. You dont smear it all over the IHS. There are easy to follow directions on the Arctic Silver website.

burningrave101 said:
If your CPU has an IHS and your using AS5 all you do is apply a small drop to the center of the IHS and smash the heatsink down on it. You dont smear it all over the IHS. There are easy to follow directions on the Arctic Silver website.
QFT.. i have tried both methods and the small drop in the center is consistantly better

See this is weird. Alot of change I guess.

I remmeber back in the day with my TBird system and when AS came out. You never just dabbed it on, you evenly spread a thin paper layer among the core.... I Figured you would do the same with any CPU....

USMC2Hard4U said:
See this is weird. Alot of change I guess.

I remmeber back in the day with my TBird system and when AS came out. You never just dabbed it on, you evenly spread a thin paper layer among the core.... I Figured you would do the same with any CPU....

Yeah, Tbird core is exposed, so spreading a thin layer worked better. With the IHS cpu's spreading a layer can cause air to get trapped between cpu and heatsink.

Go lidless man, go lidless...

plywood99 said:
Yeah, Tbird core is exposed, so spreading a thin layer worked better. With the IHS cpu's spreading a layer can cause air to get trapped between cpu and heatsink.

Go lidless man, go lidless...
I've found so many IHS's are concave that i just do the spread method anyways. Dab/squish never worked well for me.

diredesire said:
I've found so many IHS's are concave that i just do the spread method anyways. Dab/squish never worked well for me.

Nor did it for me...even spreading a thin layer I still had to seat/re-seat the heatsink a couple times to make sure that the full "footprint" of compound was being left behind. I've never once trusted/used the dab method.

I'll have to look again when I install paste next, though hopefully it will be on a bare core, and not an IHS, but I swear with the spread method (haven't tried squish) that the paste looked rippled/uneven when removing the block, though I can't say what the squish would have looked like. I certainly buy the "air pocket" theory enough to at least give the instructions a try when I install this ceramique stuff, though like I said, with any luck it'll be on a bare core, not the IHS.

BTW cornelious0_0 YGPM

diredesire said:

Ditto here too. That's why I finally took off the IHS. Dab method didn't work well due to my IHS being concave. Spread method would leave gap in the middle, so, off with the lid!

Back