Arctic Silver Alumina Epoxy Argument

Can Arctic Silver Alumina Adhesive be used with a GPU (ti500)

• YES, alumina adhesive + gpu = good

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • NO, alumina adhesive + gpu = bad

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

branana

Limp Gawd
Me and my friend are having this argument whether or not you can use Arctic Silver's Alumina Adhesive to glue a Crystal Orb to a ti500. He seems to have done it wrong and it didn't turn out so well for him so he's saying that the adhesive is "NOT DESIGNED TO WORK" with graphic chipsets, such as the GF3 ti500.

He says he mixed it properly according to the PDF on ArcticSilver's site. And that he says it is not meant for a GPU because there was a phrase in that PDF that says "DO NOT USE THIS WITH A CPU"

So what do you guys think?

Those old GeForce gpu's have a plastic casing, which is just fine to epoxy a sink to. The ram chips use the same plastic, so what's gonna happen? There are many obvious reasons why it shouldn't be used on a cpu (chemicals in the epoxy eating the cpu core surface; never being able to use that heatsink/cpu/mobo for anything else if you change your mind; etc), and I wouldn't recommend it for the newer unprotected core gpu's either. At least with a plastic casing you have a slight chance of removing the sink, whereas you'd just crack an open-core chip.

Back