Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound 4g $3 Shipped

This is pretty much all I use currently...great stuff. Might grab an extra tube.

How does MX-2 compare to the former MX-3 and MX-4? I only use MX-2, but I ran out and might need to get some more.

Good stuff, Started using this over AS5

Works just as good, spreads easier, not electrically conductive.

Id be all over this if I needed some.

I still have AS5 from like 5 years ago with plenty left, a tube of that shin etsu stuff, as well as that generic cooler master stuff that comes with my Hyper 212+. : /

I really like this stuff because it works better than AS5 and is not conductive. I can't say whether or not MX-3 or MX-4 is better (one would think it is, though), but this stuff is plenty good. Any analysis of performance increase beyond this and you're picking nits.

Thanks.. picked up 2, even though I have some Hyper 212+ stuff and some AS5.. can't ever have enough TIM!

That was fast, I ordered one a couple hours ago and it's shipped already.

That was fast, I ordered one a couple hours ago and it's shipped already.

Same.

After the first few orders they probably had someone sitting there with a box of them and a case of small padded envelopes. :p

MaximumPC recently tested the MX-2 and wrote..

thermalpaste-arctic_cooling_mx-2.jpg

The predecessor to Arctic Cooling’s MX-4 is slightly lighter and slightly thinner than the newer compound, but is also non-metallic and electrically non-conductive. Its performance was almost indistinguishable from MX-4—well within the margin of error. It’s also a few bucks cheaper, so if you’re especially budget-conscious, go for the older but cheaper compound.

Geek Approved?: Yes
thermalpaste-geektested.png

Unfortunately the MX-2 isn't listed in Hardwaresecrets' monthly "Thermal Compound Roundup" but the MX-4 is.

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/

TIMGreatAvg5.png

MX-2 is a hair better than MX-4, but it really doesn't matter because they are practically identical. If you aren't a stickler for 0.25* C, you can get a 25g tube of Ceramique 2 for about $10 on eBay. It really depends what quantity you want, but either way this is a great deal.

Good find OP, thanks for posting. I wish I could make an excuse to get some.

I'm in for two! Thanks...

Using TX-2 now...some say it is better...someday I may find out.

I only have a little AS5 and shin-etsu left in each tube, guess now is as good a time to restock as any. In for 2!

MX-2 is a hair better than MX-4, but it really doesn't matter because they are practically identical. If you aren't a stickler for 0.25* C, you can get a 25g tube of Ceramique 2 for about $10 on eBay. It really depends what quantity you want, but either way this is a great deal.

Good find OP, thanks for posting. I wish I could make an excuse to get some.

F*&# me. I'm using Shin Etsu G751. :eek: lol

Eh, just ordered 3. Even a single tube will probably last me a couple years, but figured it'll be a loooong time since I have to use stock paste again now.

Just ran out of AS-5, so this is a good time to get more thermal paste. Thanks op, got 2.

In for 3 .. used Mwave rewards .. knock the price for 3 to $5.49 shipped .. :D

Thanks.

What's the shelf life of thermal paste? Does it tend to harden or something over time? I bought 5 packs last time it was on sale haven't used all of it so just curious.

Good stuff, Started using this over AS5

Works just as good, spreads easier, not electrically conductive.
AS-5 isn't electrically conductive. Go ahead, try using it to draw a trace, it wont carry any electricity.

Yes, AS-5 is full of highly conductive silver, but the silver particles in AS-5 are encapsulated in non-conductive oil. At worst, AS-5 is very slightly capacitive, but only just... you could slather it all over circuits and bare contacts, and never have a single issue.

Back