Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Improvising

jlbenedict

2[H]4U
I have one of the original AC Freezer 7 Pro's that I just retired from my Intel rig.
Just made the move to an AMD PII 555BE system and the stock retail heatsink looks like it could be a poor performer.

From the looks of photos and from the specifications/dimensions.. the Freezer 7 and Freezer 64 are the same heatsink.
I'm wondering if I could pull off the Intel push-pin mouting bracket and install the Freezer 64 clip mount bracket:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/webshop/product_info.php?cPath=72_74&mID=308

Would this allow me to mount it to my AM3/AM2 board?

Would hate for this beast of a heatsink to go to waste when it has performed well in keeping my previous P4 Cedar Mill chilly

They are the same cooler with differing brackets. I'd give it a shot.. :)

Great decent priced budget cooler. Will not brick your CPU like some other Arctic Cooling products brick videocards :)

Be careful I had a Freezer 7 misalign on install once and led to 10° C higher temps until I remounted it.

I bet it would work. I'm pretty sure the HS are exactly the same, save for the bracket at the bottom.

If it doesn't work, you're out what? A dollar?

Shipping will be more than the part.

Yeah.. I started to get the Intel bracket off lastnight. Got the "riveted" portion pried off and away from the heatsink base.. Now I just have to take my Dremel and cut it into pieces to actually get it out..

Got it to work. I ordered the stock Freezer 64 clip from Arctic-Cooling for $1.00.
Then I got a piece of 1/16" x 1 1/4" aluminum stock from Lowes. Cut off a piece the same length as the copper block on the cooler. Dry fitted it on top of the block, with the clip installed and on top.. Mounted it to my motherboard to make sure it was firm and it clipped properly. After I verified that.. I went ahead and epoxied the spacer on top and let it cure for ten minutes and remounted it permantely.
If you notice on the stock Freezer 64 cooler, there does appear to be a small piece of material on top of the block. The Freezer 7, stock.. does not have this piece of material.

Idle temps on my Phenom II 555 are 22*C
Not too bad, compared to the stock heatsink.

Back