Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 5970 now available!

So have I. This is the first ive seen of the 5k series coolers available for purchase despite the fact that the 5870 version was suppose to be available this month and the 5970 some time in May. Its really wierd, but i would love to get my hands on the accelero 5870 as my crossfire setup is loud and hot as hell.

Just bought one. $27 for shipping! Ouch, but I want to get rid of my rattling fan and cool this sucker down. Thanks for the post.

I ordered it yesterday, it comes with a AC polo shirt as well. I have a Engineering sample of the 5970 and the fan is just CRAZY loud, this is a godsend!

Mine has been shipped :D

Can't wait to get mine and run my 5970 at 1ghz/1250 i hope it can keep temps under 60 with reasonable sound levels ;)

Emailed them about the 5870 and here's the response..

"Thank you for contacting Arctic Cooling for your product needs.

Accelero Xtreme 5870 VGA cooler is scheduled to be released by the end of May. Please check back with us by then."

I'm bummed..

77$ + 30$ shipping.... damn. I'll wait until it's widely available.

I understand the 5970, but why do you want a 5870 version?

The 5870s cooling powers are far more than necessary. If you ran the fan at 40-50%, I don't think it would ever hit above 60- 70s.

I understand the 5970, but why do you want a 5870 version?

The 5870s cooling powers are far more than necessary. If you ran the fan at 40-50%, I don't think it would ever hit above 60- 70s.

At that speed I find the noise to be obnoxious and I'm willing to pay $70 for superior heat dissipation and near silent fans..

At that speed I find the noise to be obnoxious and I'm willing to pay $70 for superior heat dissipation and near silent fans..

If you have a 5870, you can get the Twin Turbo Pro for [thread=1515497]$34 shipped[/thread]. No, it's probably not as good as the Xtreme 5870, but it's cheaper and available.

The cool thing about the accelero xtreme is that its crossfire compatible low profile cooler. Which is why I want the 5870 module as the little clearance between my cards are causing my heat issues.

Last edited:
If you have a 5870, you can get the Twin Turbo Pro for [thread=1515497]$34 shipped[/thread]. No, it's probably not as good as the Xtreme 5870, but it's cheaper and available.

Yeah, I have one already but I procrastinated in installing it and now want the purpose built version.. :D

Mine has shipped and will be here Thursday. I'm no expert, but I'll take some photos of the install and post them at the end of the week.

Mine has shipped and will be here Thursday. I'm no expert, but I'll take some photos of the install and post them at the end of the week.

Please let us know load temps, max overclocks, and voltage required.

It would help to also know your system specs, PSU, and hopefully wattage at the wall :D

I just installed mine, I'll put up some pictures in a bit.

I'm bummed though, the left DVI port no longer works.

Max temp in Bad Company 2 with the settings maxed out (1680 x 1050) was 56C on the stock settings.

As soon as I figure out what's up with the left dvi port I can proceed to test it further.

One thing is for certain the god damn clicking fan is gone, and this one is dead silent. The fans at 75% sound like the stock cooler at 35%. In Bad Company 2 the fans stayed around 40%.

The install is super easy, and the cooler looks great. The free shirt is pretty swank as well.

Max temp in Bad Company 2 with the settings maxed out (1680 x 1050) was 56C on the stock settings.

As soon as I figure out what's up with the left dvi port I can proceed to test it further.

One thing is for certain the god damn clicking fan is gone, and this one is dead silent. The fans at 75% sound like the stock cooler at 35%. In Bad Company 2 the fans stayed around 40%.

The install is super easy, and the cooler looks great. The free shirt is pretty swank as well.

Have you ever owned a 4870x2 and used an Accelero Xtreme on that? If so was it easier than that?

Did you figure out whats wrong with left DVI port?

I just got mine and installed it run for 15 min and then lost my both DVI ports.

My system wont post anymore :( i just hope that the cooler did not short circuit something on the card itself it looks like it did.
Just hope i did not make $700 brick with this cooler, damn.....

Let me know if you figured it out.

I will try to put the original sink back and see if it fixes the problem but i doubt it looks like its goner.

Everybody should just stay clear of this sink for now till we figure out whats wrong with it.

Did you figure out whats wrong with left DVI port?

I just got mine and installed it run for 15 min and then lost my both DVI ports.

My system wont post anymore :( i just hope that the cooler did not short circuit something on the card itself it looks like it did.
Just hope i did not make $700 brick with this cooler, damn.....

Let me know if you figured it out.

I will try to put the original sink back and see if it fixes the problem but i doubt it looks like its goner.

Everybody should just stay clear of this sink for now till we figure out whats wrong with it.

I doubt a heatsink is enough to cause this...perhaps a bad install, but as long as the contact areas are correct, you're fine. Also, Sapphire is shipping Toxic cards with these puppies on them, so it works for some, apparantly.

Just ordered mine...

I just finished installing mine and my left DVI port does not work either! It is silent and the temps are great but it kills a DVI port? I've tried for over an hour and nothing from the left DVI port. So, that's three of us with the same issue. :mad:

I just finished installing mine and my left DVI port does not work either! It is silent and the temps are great but it kills a DVI port? I've tried for over an hour and nothing from the left DVI port. So, that's three of us with the same issue. :mad:

OK, I take back what I said then...odd, can you see if the heatsink is making improper contact? What happens if you unplug the fans from the board?

That is fucking absurd. "Guys, buy our overpriced slab of metal, and let us fry your $600 card while you're at it."

I'm steering clear of this company forever.

That is fucking absurd. "Guys, buy our overpriced slab of metal, and let us fry your $600 card while you're at it."

I'm steering clear of this company forever.

Artic Cooling actually has a pretty good reputation...and as I pointed out, Sapphire is shipping cards with this heatsink on it already - something's amiss here.

Anything that causes problems for all three people here who've used it and reported it here is a major issue. Probably the issue is poor or misworded instructions. If they want to keep their "good reputation" they should reimburse everyone for their losses. No way that three [H]ers are all incompetent at putting on a freaking heatsink.

Anything that causes problems for all three people here who've used it and reported it here is a major issue. Probably the issue is poor or misworded instructions. If they want to keep their "good reputation" they should reimburse everyone for their losses. No way that three [H]ers are all incompetent at putting on a freaking heatsink.

I'm not saying I don't believe them...I'm saying this isn't normal for AC, and alone isn't a reason to avoid them IMO...unless they handle this poorly. I'm curious to see what other people get with the heatsink.

I assume you guys have heatsinks on the VRMs?

OK i took of AC and put the original heatsink back and no go the card is fried.
Tried to look closely when i took it off to see if any resistors/chips are cracked or anything wrong with them but i cant really tell :(

Only thing i know its im out of $700 video card and $110 heatsink.

I took at least 5-6 original sinks off on diferent 5970 cards to put some paste on the core on them and never had problems, so definitely it's somehting wrong with design of this AC sinks.

I guess that's what i get being one of the first to beta test there POS sinks...

God damn im so pissed........

At least the other 2 guys got lucky and have one DVI port working mine both are gone.

Last edited:
have any of you guys contacted Arctic Cooling about this? i've got one of the coolers arriving this week, but after reading this thread, i'm not going to install it until these issues are resolved. btw, I just emailed AC to ask about this, and provided them with a link to this thread.

I have the TT Pro on mine. Looks like AC beefed up the VRM sink into a one-piece design basically. Otherwise, I don't see any need for the extra power of the AC AX 5870 over the TT Pro as the TT Pro is already pretty overkill for cooling a 5870...and it's about half the price of the extreme 5870.

Mine:
accelerotwinturbo5870.jpg

The new one:
arcticcooling5870.jpg

IMHO, the TT Pro is already overkill for a 5870. The real weakness in BOTH designs is the VRM cooling needs to be improved further. The 5870 Extreme's heatsink does not appear to be that much bigger. If you overclock with voltage bumping, you'll need VRM cooling.

I wish more 3rd parties made VRM cooling because otherwise the perfect price/performance combintion would be the TT Pro + aftermarket VRM like Thermalright VRM-4.

Last edited:
OK i took of AC and put the original heatsink back and no go the card is fried.
Tried to look closely when i took it off to see if any resistors/chips are cracked or anything wrong with them but i cant really tell :(

Only thing i know its im out of $700 video card and $110 heatsink.

I took at least 5-6 original sinks off on diferent 5970 cards to put some paste on the core on them and never had problems, so definitely it's somehting wrong with design of this AC sinks.

I guess that's what i get being one of the first to beta test there POS sinks...

God damn im so pissed........

At least the other 2 guys got lucky and have one DVI port working mine both are gone.

Dumb question...but any chance it got overtightened?

I also emailed AC with a link to this thread...

Ah, mine was just delivered.

Think I'll sit tight for a while to see if AC give any response - has anyone installed it and have both dvi ports working?

Regards
Fred

What temperatures are uses getting for needing this?
mine runs at:
Idle between 32 to 35

playing a game for a couple of hours between 52 to 69

You've got superb cooling if it only got to 69C when playing anything recent @ 1080p with everything maxed out. Mine idles at 35 and goes to 90C before it downclocks to prevent damage and whatnot.

The instructions are plenty clear on installing it. It is real easy and only took about 20 minutes. There's really no way to put it on wrong or even tighten it up too much. It is very perplexing to me what could have killed my DVI port.

You've got superb cooling if it only got to 69C when playing anything recent @ 1080p with everything maxed out. Mine idles at 35 and goes to 90C before it downclocks to prevent damage and whatnot.

I play a lot of recent games like Chronicles of Riddick, metro 2033 Resident Evil 5, Batman Arkham, Crysis Warhead etc.
I only have 8. 120 Fans running, not counting the cpu fan

have any of you guys contacted Arctic Cooling about this? i've got one of the coolers arriving this week, but after reading this thread, i'm not going to install it until these issues are resolved. btw, I just emailed AC to ask about this, and provided them with a link to this thread.

Yes. Here is what I wrote and what I have gotten back.

Original email from me:

"Hi.

I just received my new Accelero 5970 and just finished installing it. However now when I turn the computer back on, I'm getting no video out from the card. The bios is not beeping indicating the card is not powering up, and windows 7 loads without error.

I removed the card, and removed the cooler. Then proceeded to re-install it again making sure I didn't leave off any steps. For now I'm going to reinstall the stock cooler to see if video comes back.

Can you recommend anything I can try? I did try pulling the battery off the MOBO to see if it would reset the bios, but no luck. Or if it did I don't know since I can't see anything.

Thanks for your time, and help."

First Response From Artic Cooling. *Looks Generic*.

"Dear Sir,

I'm sorry to hear, that you have troubles with our product. Please help us with some furhter details to clearify the situation:

1) Could you please provide the complete name of your VGA board. If anyhow possible please also specify if it is a reference or non-reference layout.

2) Were you able to bring your card back to life with the stock cooler?

3) Could you find any damages on the board? Please have a close look to the GPUs, specially the corners are easy to destroy.

These information could help us to solve this issue.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen"

My Response:

"I have the Sapphire 5970 and I would say it's a good 4 months old.

I did not re-install the stock cooler, because I got the card to work by using the right dvi port. I was using the left DVI port prior to the install of the cooler with no problems. When ever I plug the DVI cable into the left DVI slot after windows has loaded, I can hear the chime, letting me know the OS recognized I connected it. However, the monitor does not activate.

I have pictures here you can see of the install as I was doing it...

http://imgur.com/4vuL6l&XYWeW&WyQ3V&kiMRE&XlazB&PGe6e&yTQkR&4czFa&lFVY7&eRGSI

and here

http://imgur.com/1M0qWl&UmAFC&Qedr9&UEsyV?full

There is a good picture of both of the GPUs. I gently wiped them down with a terry cloth & cleaned off the old thermal paste with 91% ISO.

If you need any more information, please let me know."

Artic Cooling Response:

"Dear Sir,

so your card is working again?
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen"

My response:

"The right DVI port is working, but not the left." This was at 9:46PM on the 3rd. I have not heard anything back yet.

Question. If you let windows load, and you plug in your DVI to the left port does it make the little chime that lets you know new hardware has been detected? Mine does, so I don't think the port is dead.

OK, I take back what I said then...odd, can you see if the heatsink is making improper contact? What happens if you unplug the fans from the board?

There is just a single connection, and sadly if you plug it in the wrong way the fans will not spin. I laid on the floor and looked straight up at my fans when I turned my computer on, with one had on the power cable in case they didn't spin. I did try to flip the cable, and they will not spin if you get it wrong.

Back