Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 5970 now available!

Wait wait...

So you're telling me if you use a DVI-to-VGA converter it works (On your killed dvi port) ??? o_O

Ok now I am shocked....

Yes, I'm the person who told them about it, and they seem to be asking people to test that out as well. I don't know...all I know is I want a refund, and then I;m grabbing the EK waterblock for the 5970 and a watercooling kit. Finally got my new 5970 back, and it's working again. No way I'm touching these guys again.

So has anyone got their 5970 working properly after installing the AC XTREME 5970?

yes, there have about 2 successes out of the 8 people that dared to try it,

:eek:

Thats bad. Thread title should be changed to AVOID XTREME 5970 AT ALL COSTS

Anyways, have any of you guys tried contacting Sapphire about their 5970 Toxic and ask what sort of mods were done to the Xtreme 5970 cooler in order for it to work with 5970 Toxic?

Yes, I'm the person who told them about it, and they seem to be asking people to test that out as well. I don't know...all I know is I want a refund, and then I;m grabbing the EK waterblock for the 5970 and a watercooling kit. Finally got my new 5970 back, and it's working again. No way I'm touching these guys again.

How did you get it work work again? Did you send it to RMA?

Weird... I really want some alternate cooling for my HD5970 but I can afford a decent watercooling kit :( I want something like this Accelero but reliable...

I guess i'll wait for updates see if they get the issue.

How did you get it work work again? Did you send it to RMA?

Weird... I really want some alternate cooling for my HD5970 but I can afford a decent watercooling kit :( I want something like this Accelero but reliable...

I guess i'll wait for updates see if they get the issue.

RMA, yeah. Looking at watercooling now...but jeez, it's not cheap. :-/

I was thinking of buying the cooler, but then I came across this thread. So I didn't and registered here to contribute my thoughts.
By checking the pictures posted I saw a few differences in the thermal pads. I marked them in the following images:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7323/14303611.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9462/hd59705b.jpg
Both the reference cooler and the toxic (AC) cooler have the pads on the same spots where the accelero extreme cooler don't have any pads.
They might be insulating the heatsink and stop the bending caused by the VRM heatsink.
Just my 2 cents ;)

I was thinking of buying the cooler, but then I came across this thread. So I didn't and registered here to contribute my thoughts.
By checking the pictures posted I saw a few differences in the thermal pads. I marked them in the following images:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7323/14303611.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9462/hd59705b.jpg
Both the reference cooler and the toxic (AC) cooler have the pads on the same spots where the accelero extreme cooler don't have any pads.
They might be insulating the heatsink and stop the bending caused by the VRM heatsink.
Just my 2 cents ;)

Thanks for taking a look, the more eyes on this the better! Sorry for the confusion, the Accelero cooler does include those three pads, and they were installed when I was using the cooler. When I separated the cooler from the card, those three pads you indicated stuck to the card rather than the cooler, and I didn't stick them on the cooler before taking the picture.

Ah alright, that clears it up :)
Then I have no idea's more actually. It remains a really weird issue.

Yeah, I'm pretty much out of ideas too. It seems to me that what we really need is an ATI engineer to tell us what part of the card would have to be damaged to create such a symptom, then we can look at that area closely. There can't be that many different scenarios that would produce the symptom of one DVI port being recognized in Windows but not receiving digital output.

AC still hasn't answered either of my emails. The first one being more than two weeks ago.

I'm hoping they will find a solution soon or at least give an answer on how far they are in the proces of figuring out what's wrong.
I really need a good aftermarket cooler :)

I'm hoping they will find a solution soon or at least give an answer on how far they are in the proces of figuring out what's wrong.
I really need a good aftermarket cooler :)

Me too, I want to OC my 5970 to 850Mhz Core/1200Mhz Memory but I really hate doing it on stock cooler as it is loud (I usually manually set it to 30% while gaming, I can't stand any more noise, I don't care about the temperatures as long as it's not over 90ºC).

I've been following this thread for a while and thought I should chime in. I have a sapphire 5970 with the Accelero, now with a dead dvi port. I emailed them high-res pictures as they requested and asked what they planned on doing to rectify the situation. That was 5 days ago, I sent another email today asking if there has been any progress. If they don't respond this week I'm going to do an RMA to fix my card, stopping payment through my credit company, and ship the defective cooler back to them. Selling me a $80 cooler that cripples my $700 card is bad enough, but ignoring emails in this situation is inexcusable.

I'm sure there are many more people that have had their 5970s borked by this cooler that have read this thread. I encourage all to post here if your card has been damaged by this cooler and you haven't posted yet. It would be nice to get a running count.

I've been following this thread for a while and thought I should chime in. I have a sapphire 5970 with the Accelero, now with a dead dvi port. I emailed them high-res pictures as they requested and asked what they planned on doing to rectify the situation. That was 5 days ago, I sent another email today asking if there has been any progress. If they don't respond this week I'm going to do an RMA to fix my card, stopping payment through my credit company, and ship the defective cooler back to them. Selling me a $80 cooler that cripples my $700 card is bad enough, but ignoring emails in this situation is inexcusable.

I think we should all do our charge backs this Friday. Hopefully that will cause the company to be flagged by the credit card companies.

This situation is ludicrous. It seems pretty obvious that they have zero intention of refunding your money, let alone paying for your card. File a complaint with the BBB, chargeback through the CC, RMA your cards, and start a separate thread with a proper damn title.

This situation is ludicrous. It seems pretty obvious that they have zero intention of refunding your money, let alone paying for your card. File a complaint with the BBB, chargeback through the CC, RMA your cards, and start a separate thread with a proper damn title.

This 100%!!!

Mod should be able to change it

unless AC somehow sponsors the forums, PM Steve/Kyle they both usually get bac to you one way or another.

looking at the 5870 version myself but ill steer clear for now

orangemango, sorry to hear you're having the same problem but thanks very much for posting to let us know.

I sent Arctic Cooling another email just now. I'd received prompt responses last week when they were gathering information, but I haven't heard anything since I sent them my latest photos last Friday. I understand they'd be hesitant to just take all the coolers back and replace a bunch of cards without knowing what's really going on, but it's been at least two weeks since they were contacted by the first people with problems.

I've been trying to contact them and get a response for two weeks. After sending multiple emails to every email address I could find, and after submitting a support request via their web form, I have gotten no replies. All of my communications were of course very polite and included complete, accurate descriptions of the issue. It's clear to me that AC has no intention of providing support, honoring their stated/published warranty, or allowing me to return the product, so I've contacted my CC company to resolve this issue.

I've lost all confidence in Arctic Cooling products and the company, and will no longer buy or use any of their products.

Kyle or Brent, etc. does anybody want to try to help guys out by trying to contact Arctic Cooling in their official capacity as end users seem to be having no luck.

out of curiosity, has anybody else in this thread been a victim of credit card fraud in the past two weeks?

Finally this item is available in retail stores, at least here in Sweden.

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=585577

The green flags says it's in stock. I suppose Arctic is quite scared about the consequences this may lead to, as the number of bricked cards will increase rapidly if they don't withdraw these coolers very soon.

Bit-Tech guy seems to just be incompetent. That's not his fault, Arctic Cooling's instructions are terrible but I didn't install my Twin Turbo on my 5870 until verifying with many other forum posts that it would work.

That he broke his card is his fault. I bet he didn't install the VRM heatsinks or forgot one or did it improperly. I don't even know why he was fiddling with the plate and screws, you don't need that part if you are installing it on a 5870, it goes right from the box onto your card.

So I just talked to my bank about doing a charge back, and they are telling me I need to be able to provide proof.

They are suggesting I take it to a best buy and have a tech look at it. THIS IS OUT OF THE QUESTION! Not happening.

I offered to print out this thread and send that to them, anyone else have problems with the charge back? It's been less than 30 days for me, and I didn't expect for this to be a problem.

Thanks for any help,

I've only had to one charge back before. I called the credit company, told them the situation, and they refunded the money right away. They asked for contact info on the company I was complaining about, but didn't ask for proof. I plan on doing the same thing to Arctic Cooling on Monday as I got too busy today and forgot.

As for proof, how about bringing in your computer to a local bank? What better proof than showing them in person it doesn't work.

I've only had to one charge back before. I called the credit company, told them the situation, and they refunded the money right away. They asked for contact info on the company I was complaining about, but didn't ask for proof. I plan on doing the same thing to Arctic Cooling on Monday as I got too busy today and forgot.

As for proof, how about bringing in your computer to a local bank? What better proof than showing them in person it doesn't work.

I'm beginning my chargeback right now as well - I've done a chargeback with Discovercard once before and had a similar experience - they refund it right away, contact the company, then if the company cannot give a good explanation, you keep the chargeback money. I love Discovercard...

Plus a chargeback means I get my shipping costs back.

Eff you Arctic Cooling.

Back