Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 5970 now available!

I just got word today from VISA that AC is fighting my chargeback also. It has been more than 30 days. VISA told me that I needed an independent expert to give them a written opinion that the cooler caused the damage. I referred VISA again to this forum board but that wasn't good enough. She suggested I take it to Best Buy. I laughed and told her that Best Buy would have no fucking clue! In the end, VISA decided to give AC the money back; however, "since I'm such a valued customer" they would not charge it back to me. So I got this piece of shit for free at least. I can't believe anyone would want to take the risk with this cooler after reading this thread.

I heard on this thread that using a DVI-to-VGA adapter worked and it did display video.

I'd say you won't have any problems :p

No need for the VGA Adapter, the card has 2 x DVI ports and 1 x DisplayPort. then you can just use a DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter and everything should be a-okay!

I just got word today from VISA that AC is fighting my chargeback also. It has been more than 30 days. VISA told me that I needed an independent expert to give them a written opinion that the cooler caused the damage. I referred VISA again to this forum board but that wasn't good enough. She suggested I take it to Best Buy. I laughed and told her that Best Buy would have no fucking clue! In the end, VISA decided to give AC the money back; however, "since I'm such a valued customer" they would not charge it back to me. So I got this piece of shit for free at least. I can't believe anyone would want to take the risk with this cooler after reading this thread.

I'm glad you at least didn't get charged back.

I took the risk coz I needed silent (And water cooling was out of my budget). I had few other friends who took the risk too and had no problems.

No need for the VGA Adapter, the card has 2 x DVI ports and 1 x DisplayPort. then you can just use a DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter and everything should be a-okay!

That sounds better then :p

Here's another user which installed the cooler after reading my review:

http://www.overclock.net/9796649-post101.html

It's almost 20 people I've seen with this cooler in Overclock.net, none killed their DVI ports, I am sorry to say this, but the cooler is great and I support AC...

i checked and didn't see "almost 20" users on overclock.net who had successfully installed this cooler. i just saw a bunch of posts from you, and an "install guide" from somebody who is apparently smart enough to install the AC cooler but too dumb to take a clear picture and resize it. and in that install guide thread, one user mentioned getting two DOA Sapphire Toxic 5970 cards.

ref: http://www.overclock.net/ati-cooling/754726-arctic-cooling-accelero-xtreme-5970-installation-2.html

First off, hello there - decided to register after reading this thread.

So, despite reading these horror stories to put it mildly, I just ordered the AX and a standard Sapphire 5970. Now, while I'll try my best do not over-tighten the screws and really be careful, there's still the odd chance.

Now, my question really is IF this happens and my DVI port dies, would I be able to use the DisplayPort and a few adapters, turn it into a DVI signal and still be able to use my two 24" monitors? Because honestly, it wouldn't bother me one bit if this was possible.

I will however still report back tomorrow how it went and hopefully, someone will answer me question. ( I did order the appropriate converters for the DisplayPort as a contingency plan )

It seems hard to say since each card could break different.. but I think with the DVI->VGA working, the cheap $20 DP->DVI adapter would work too.

But basically you're asking to guess what part of the card is gonna get broken if you break it and only way to know is to break it and find out :) I would just not overtighten the screws and not have to find out. ;)

Just got done installing it, I kept running my finger over the X-plate screws and aligned the top of the screw with the X-plate, that was my tightening point and .... it worked :D Both DVI ports are alive and well.

Just got done installing it, I kept running my finger over the X-plate screws and aligned the top of the screw with the X-plate, that was my tightening point and .... it worked :D Both DVI ports are alive and well.

Awesome, glad to hear it. :D

Just a question for those of you having problems getting things resolved with your credit card companies.

If they want an expert opinion wouldn’t AC changing the install instructions after the fact be good enough? I mean AC is the manufacturer of the cooler in question and therefore should be the foremost expert on this.

What I am saying is that if the revised instructions that found the way in to this thread are legit and were not available at the time you bought and installed your cooler. Shouldn’t that be more than enough proof for the CC Company to realize that AC is lying to them? If they are not at fault then why did they need to update the install instructions?

i checked and didn't see "almost 20" users on overclock.net who had successfully installed this cooler. i just saw a bunch of posts from you, and an "install guide" from somebody who is apparently smart enough to install the AC cooler but too dumb to take a clear picture and resize it. and in that install guide thread, one user mentioned getting two DOA Sapphire Toxic 5970 cards.

ref: http://www.overclock.net/ati-cooling/754726-arctic-cooling-accelero-xtreme-5970-installation-2.html

I never mentioned 20 people in MY REVIEW, I said overall in overclock.net, if u check the official thread of the HD5970 cards, many pple have that cooler...

Like I said, this cooler is safe...

I haven't heard of anyone breaking their cards in June ;) After the new installation guide.

Just a question for those of you having problems getting things resolved with your credit card companies.

If they want an expert opinion wouldn’t AC changing the install instructions after the fact be good enough? I mean AC is the manufacturer of the cooler in question and therefore should be the foremost expert on this.

What I am saying is that if the revised instructions that found the way in to this thread are legit and were not available at the time you bought and installed your cooler. Shouldn’t that be more than enough proof for the CC Company to realize that AC is lying to them? If they are not at fault then why did they need to update the install instructions?

Well, AC has more power I guess over a simple user :(

I referred VISA to this post and the revised, conflicting installation instructions from AC. The problem is, no one at the credit card company has any idea of what they are looking at. Secondly, AC will not speak to them directly about the issue. AC just stated to the credit card company in writing, "our product is not defective." So, the burden rests on the consumer to find an expert (whatever the hell that is) to prove that AC's cooler is defective and caused the damage to the video card.

I heard on this thread that using a DVI-to-VGA adapter worked and it did display video.

I'd say you won't have any problems :p

Yes. Because LOSING A DIGITAL OUTPUT AND ONLY BEING ABLE TO USE ANALOG OUTPUT IS ACCEPTABLE. What about HDCP? That's up and gone like a fart in the wind! Displayport? I DON'T HAVE MONITORS THAT WORK WITH THAT. SO EITHER I NEED A NEW MONITOR, OR TO SPEND $100 ON THE ACTIVE CONVERTER TO GET DISPLAYPORT TO DVI.

I referred VISA to this post and the revised, conflicting installation instructions from AC. The problem is, no one at the credit card company has any idea of what they are looking at. Secondly, AC will not speak to them directly about the issue. AC just stated to the credit card company in writing, "our product is not defective." So, the burden rests on the consumer to find an expert (whatever the hell that is) to prove that AC's cooler is defective and caused the damage to the video card.

There's a reason I HATE Mastercard and Visa companies with a god damned passion - it's because Discover and AMEX actually give a damn about their customers, and will vouch for them. At least Discover got the option to return "the stupid piece of shit that doesn't do the god damn thing it's fucking supposed to" for me.

Update on my case with Arctic Cooling: Arctic Cooling responded to my credit card company and they are fighting it.

I find it pathetic that Arctic Cooling ignored ALL of my emails about this product purchase, ignored my RMA request, ignored my emails asking for warranty info. All of my emails were polite, brief, and provided concise descriptions of why I was contacting them. I tried contacting their China office, their US office, their Swiss office, numerous individual employees (including the founder/owner).

btw, here are some of the emails I've sent them about this issue:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Accelero XTREME 5970 causing graphics card failures?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:47:44 -0500
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Hello,

I just ordered an Accelero XTREME 5970 last weekend, and it is scheduled
to arrive this week. I'm afraid to install it though after reading
reports about graphics card failures on every 5970 card that it has been
installed on.

Hardocp forum thread with 3 hardware failures after installation on 3 cards:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515486

Are you aware of this issue? Is it safe for me to install the Accelero
XTREME 5970?

BTW, I tried to use the "support form" on your web site, but none of the
links to the form work, and there is no link at all from the Accelero
XTREME 5970 support page.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
[redacted]

Subject: Re: Accelero XTREME 5970 causing graphics card failures?
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 04:05:35 -0500
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
CC: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Hello Magnus, Betsy and Support@AC,

I recently purchased and just received one of the new Accelero XTREME
5970 VGA coolers. Due to the very high percentage of catastrophic
hardware failures associated with this cooler model, I'm afraid to
install it on my hardware. I've tried contacting your support to
discuss this, but have not received any replies.

Hardocp forum thread with 3 catastrophic hardware failures after
installation on 3 cards:

XTREME 5970? Do you offer a warranty to cover damage to graphics cards
that is due to Arctic Cooling products?

Thanks,
[redacted]

On 5/5/2010 12:47 AM, [redacted] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just ordered an Accelero XTREME 5970 last weekend, and it is scheduled
> to arrive this week. I'm afraid to install it though after reading
> reports about graphics card failures on every 5970 card that it has been
> installed on.
>
> Hardocp forum thread with 3 hardware failures after installation on 3
> cards:
> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515486
>
>
> Are you aware of this issue? Is it safe for me to install the Accelero
> XTREME 5970?
>
> BTW, I tried to use the "support form" on your web site, but none of the
> links to the form work, and there is no link at all from the Accelero
> XTREME 5970 support page.
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>
> Regards,
> [redacted]

Subject: Accelero XTREME 5970 causing graphics card failures?
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 11:57:45 -0500
To: [email protected]

Hello,

I recently purchased and just received one of the new Accelero XTREME
5970 VGA coolers. Due to the very high percentage of catastrophic
hardware failures associated with this cooler model, I'm afraid to
install it on my hardware. I've tried contacting your support to
discuss this, but have not received any replies.

Hardocp forum thread with 3 catastrophic hardware failures after
installation on 3 cards:

XTREME 5970? Do you offer a warranty to cover damage to graphics cards
that is due to Arctic Cooling products?

Thanks,
[redacted]

Is getting a water kit for just your gpu more trouble than it's worth? In terms of expense, difficulty, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that they've silently removed th Xtreme 5970 from sales. It's no longer listed on their webshop (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/webshop/main.php?cPath=2,) and while listed on their website ( http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=545), there is no way to order it direct from them. You have to order from a dstributor.

I haven't been able to find a single U.S. distributor that has them in stock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if an item is sellable, shouldn't it be it available. I'm not saying every distributor is out of stock, just everyone I looked at. And that makes me believe they've pulled the product without an annoucement. If they've silently pulled the product, what a $hitty way to treat their customers.

Last edited:
Update: got a letter from my credit card company today informing me that the issue has been finalized and they ruled in my favor.

Since Arctic Cooling ignores all of my email, I'll post a message for them here: You're free to contact me at your convenience to arrange for the return of your product. If I don't hear from you by Sept 1, the item will be destroyed to ensure that it doesn't damage any video cards.

Got mine installed a couple of days ago, took me a few hours but the temps are good even on blistering hot summer days. Only thing that scared me was during Furmark the VDDC temps went up to 150C! Thankfully, during even the most stressful game testing in Metro2033 and Vantage they don't go past 80C.

Overall, my temps dropped about 20C and I can overclock it much further than before without going past 75C in games; I have low airflow in my silent P182 case so that's pretty good.

Btw, I'd like to thank those who posted installation warnings, I took my damn sweet time and everything turned out well. This was my first VGA cooler install and I surely would have overtightened the screws had I not known the damage it could cause.

Sorry, but how much was too tight again? Are you only supposed to screw them down half way or what?

That's the problem with bullshit engineering. Halfway tight = halfway loose. There's no way in hell will I ever install their product on my two working 5970's. I'm the Service Manager (21 years) for an aviation equipment manufacturing company and I know good engineering. There's no way in hell would we field a product that requires our customers to quess the proper torque spec. Piss-poor engineering results in a piss-poor product and made even worse by piss-poor support. Arctic Cooling should be ashame of themselves. Their actions indicate that they are a failing company, struggling to hold on.

Last edited:
Got mine installed a couple of days ago, took me a few hours but the temps are good even on blistering hot summer days. Only thing that scared me was during Furmark the VDDC temps went up to 150C! Thankfully, during even the most stressful game testing in Metro2033 and Vantage they don't go past 80C.

Overall, my temps dropped about 20C and I can overclock it much further than before without going past 75C in games; I have low airflow in my silent P182 case so that's pretty good.

Btw, I'd like to thank those who posted installation warnings, I took my damn sweet time and everything turned out well. This was my first VGA cooler install and I surely would have overtightened the screws had I not known the damage it could cause.

Glad to hear another user installed the cooler with success, I have a few friends with the cooler too and they're very happy (For me it was also the first time installing an after-market cooler on a graphic card :p).

By the way, 150ºC on vddc? WoW, that's a lot, most I've seen was 90ºC with Furmark, while gaming they never go above 60ºC with a room temperature of 27-29ºC (Yeah, pretty hot room temp, I have no A/C sadly).

What core temps are you getting while gaming? My max I've seen was 45ºC

Glad to hear another user installed the cooler with success, I have a few friends with the cooler too and they're very happy (For me it was also the first time installing an after-market cooler on a graphic card :p).

By the way, 150ºC on vddc? WoW, that's a lot, most I've seen was 90ºC with Furmark, while gaming they never go above 60ºC with a room temperature of 27-29ºC (Yeah, pretty hot room temp, I have no A/C sadly).

What core temps are you getting while gaming? My max I've seen was 45ºC

I've been monitoring the VDDC during gaming and it maxes out at 90C during the most intensive sessions, otherwise it's in the 80's; a little high but still safe so I'm not worried. I had to up my voltage (1.187v) to have stable 850/1200 clocks that's probably why I have higher temps.

My gpu's run much cooler though, usually at 65C, fan at 100% and barely audible. I bet a change of case and faster case fans would drop at least 10C but I'd never get 45 load like you...that's my idle temps :D

Sorry, but how much was too tight again? Are you only supposed to screw them down half way or what?

Their website shows the x-plates as having 50% tightness, not hard to guess you just screw one in fairly tight then back off 50%. Once you've done that to a single screw it's easy to do the others the same level.

That's the problem with bullshit engineering. Halfway tight = halfway loose. There's no way in hell will I ever install their product on my two working 5970's. I'm the Service Manager (21 years) for an aviation equipment manufacturing company and I know good engineering. There's no way in hell would we field a product that requires our customers to quess the proper torque spec. Piss-poor engineering results in a piss-poor product and made even worse by piss-poor support. Arctic Cooling should be ashame of themselves. Their actions indicate that they are a failing company, struggling to hold on.

All true but the fact is the Accelero Xtreme performs exceptionally well, it's the best air cooler for the 5970 by a long shot. Any 5970 owner should be willing to suffer through the installation to enjoy a cool and quiet card from then on.

" All true but the fact is the Accelero Xtreme performs exceptionally well, it's the best air cooler for the 5970 by a long shot. Any 5970 owner should be willing to suffer through the installation to enjoy a cool and quiet card from then on. "

I love mine ... super cool and quiet for months now.:D

I installed the fans like I had $800.00 in my hand...I was very very very careful.

Their website shows the x-plates as having 50% tightness, not hard to guess you just screw one in fairly tight then back off 50%. Once you've done that to a single screw it's easy to do the others the same level.

Ok, let me get this straight. You suggest to screw one screw all the way down and then back to determine where 50% is? LFMAO! That comment is almost as dumb as Arctic Cooling's stupid ass instructions. You realize that screwing that one screw down will likely break the card as has been documented over and over in this thread? I'm glad you got your cooler on with no problems but suggesting other people to try is just reckless!

Ok, let me get this straight. You suggest to screw one screw all the way down and then back to determine where 50% is? LFMAO! That comment is almost as dumb as Arctic Cooling's stupid ass instructions. You realize that screwing that one screw down will likely break the card as has been documented over and over in this thread? I'm glad you got your cooler on with no problems but suggesting other people to try is just reckless!

Okay, it didn't come out quite right. I didn't screw it tightly but to where there was resistance then backed off. Repeated the same process. Yes, it's not a reliable way to determine 50% but then we have pictures and first hand accounts of how the screws should pop out in threads like this. It's not great but if your temps are good then you know it's fine.

Installation sucks, could destroy your card if you are sloppy but the rewards man...the rewards for success are cool :cool:

I've been monitoring the VDDC during gaming and it maxes out at 90C during the most intensive sessions, otherwise it's in the 80's; a little high but still safe so I'm not worried. I had to up my voltage (1.187v) to have stable 850/1200 clocks that's probably why I have higher temps.

My gpu's run much cooler though, usually at 65C, fan at 100% and barely audible. I bet a change of case and faster case fans would drop at least 10C but I'd never get 45 load like you...that's my idle temps :D

WoW, that's a lot of voltage there for 850/1200, I can do 850/1200 @ 1.125v or bit lower.

That may be the reason for such a high temps, my gpu's never go above 45ºC on any game (Bad Company 2 was the only game that took it so high).

" All true but the fact is the Accelero Xtreme performs exceptionally well, it's the best air cooler for the 5970 by a long shot. Any 5970 owner should be willing to suffer through the installation to enjoy a cool and quiet card from then on. "

I love mine ... super cool and quiet for months now.:D

I installed the fans like I had $800.00 in my hand...I was very very very careful.

Agreed.

I must say this cooler is a damn great cooler and I love mine too!

What case do you have? Maybe that's the reason for such high temps.

Mine's a HAF 932 and it has 8 fans and a great airflow, that may be the reason as of why my temps are so good.

Had something weird happen to me. I have my gaming/htpc connected to a bravia 1080p lcd tv.

I VERY carefully installed this cooler and powered on my pc. Fans and drives spin up, but no "beep". Also the tv kept "clicking", the same sound it makes when I switch resolutions.

So I wipe the sweat from my brow and I use the second dvi port. Again nothing. Now I'm close to tears!

I pulled the card out, checked the screws on the back of the x-plates. Important thing to note thought, and something I've never read anywhere:
*** Because the X-plates are convex (all the arms of the X bend a fair distance away from the pcb) I needed to apply a LOT of preassure to get these close enough to the holes to screw them in even slightly. ***
This made me really nervous.

7 of the 8 screws were clearly visible sticking higher than the back plate when you look "along" the back plate. I unscrewed the one that appeared to be tighter as it was flush with the back plate's surface.

Now with it sticking out like the rest of them, I wiped the tears from my eyes, took a shot of jack daniels and practically turn to religion before I turn the pc back on.

<I usually don't drink and assemble pc's but this was my baby and my nerves were getting to me. :) >

Bingo! All good! Tested both DVI's and the mini port between the two. I still have no idea what I was shorting out, but this did the trick for me.

Idle temps are around 33C and I've hit a peak of 57C while forcing all visual quality settings in CCC (edge detect anti-aliasing, full AA, pretty much everything maxed! but with vsync on)

I got higher temps, around 64 running unigine's Heaven. The card's not OC'd yet so it was a bit of a slideshow at 1080p with those settings.

I've installed almost half a dozen twin turbo pro's. The XTREME was far easier, but given its reputation, I was nervous as hell during the process. :)

Had something weird happen to me. I have my gaming/htpc connected to a bravia 1080p lcd tv.

I VERY carefully installed this cooler and powered on my pc. Fans and drives spin up, but no "beep". Also the tv kept "clicking", the same sound it makes when I switch resolutions.

So I wipe the sweat from my brow and I use the second dvi port. Again nothing. Now I'm close to tears!

I pulled the card out, checked the screws on the back of the x-plates. Important thing to note thought, and something I've never read anywhere:
*** Because the X-plates are convex (all the arms of the X bend a fair distance away from the pcb) I needed to apply a LOT of preassure to get these close enough to the holes to screw them in even slightly. ***
This made me really nervous.

7 of the 8 screws were clearly visible sticking higher than the back plate when you look "along" the back plate. I unscrewed the one that appeared to be tighter as it was flush with the back plate's surface.

Now with it sticking out like the rest of them, I wiped the tears from my eyes, took a shot of jack daniels and practically turn to religion before I turn the pc back on.

<I usually don't drink and assemble pc's but this was my baby and my nerves were getting to me. :) >

Bingo! All good! Tested both DVI's and the mini port between the two. I still have no idea what I was shorting out, but this did the trick for me.

Idle temps are around 33C and I've hit a peak of 57C while forcing all visual quality settings in CCC (edge detect anti-aliasing, full AA, pretty much everything maxed! but with vsync on)

I got higher temps, around 64 running unigine's Heaven. The card's not OC'd yet so it was a bit of a slideshow at 1080p with those settings.

I've installed almost half a dozen twin turbo pro's. The XTREME was far easier, but given its reputation, I was nervous as hell during the process. :)

I'm glad you liked the cooler, another user which installed and is happy with it.

It's many people now who own this cooler and love it.

I love the fact that I have idle temps of 28ºC-32ºC and load temps of 40-45ºC while gaming, even with an OC of 850/1200.

It's great! :)

Back