Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2 @ [H]

MX-2 is already pre-applied.

Was wondering how the results would be if the same aftermarket fan used on the TR-3 was on the S1 Rev2.

I didn't know it was pre-applied thats good news. I will still buy it tho to lap my CPU, and for future uses.

I have to say: ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME! and, now, I feel thoroughly vindicated for bitching bitching and more bitching about the S1 missing from the first roundup.

That being said, thank you for getting this excellent information out to your readers. If I go back to the 8800GT in the future, I will surely want to use this cooler on mine (I currently have an ATi 3850 512MB card for it's better multi-monitor support and lower noise & power compared to the 8800GT). :D

Just got mine today and I'm loving it. The ram heatsinks stuck very nicely for me too, contrary to what I've been hearing.

*Update*

I just installed the S1 Rev 2 Cooler. First thing I didn't even have to use the RAM and VRM components that came with it. My Asus card had copper ones preinstalled so I just left those on. I also didn't bother to hookup the turbo module yet wanted to test it passively first, and I do also have a 80mm side fan blowing on it for now.

Idle temps dropped from 56c on stock cooler to 36c with passively cooled S1 + 80mm side case fan.

Running the 3d View in Ati tool Max load temp is 58c.

I'm also running a 825/1200 bios on my card.

Now, if only they would make one with a gap cut out so you could still use SLI. Otherwise, this cooler will not make my two cards happy. :(

mmmm dremel on aluminum fins...

I just got ECS's 8800GT which comes with the S1, man i was tempted to do a BBQ on it before installation! I'm stressing it with rthdribl w/o the turbo module, only case aiflow thanks to 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust, all is nice and smooth at 63c (load) :D

Now, if only they would make one with a gap cut out so you could still use SLI. Otherwise, this cooler will not make my two cards happy. :(

I'm not running an SLI setup, but from what I understand, and at looking at my S1, you should be able to slip the SLI bridge cable in between the fins with no issues. Just bend the fin support over, slide the cable in, then bend the support back to avoid vibrations or movement of the fins.

My EVGA 8800GTS runs at 72C at load (stock cooling, no OC and I can still improve case airflow if I have to....)

would you guys say that this warrants a cooling upgrade? and do I need to by some sinks for the Vregs?

Have given this more than a week, and must say I am in awe even with 10 years and multiple vid card tragedies to compare to...

Update
pc_heatsink_acclroMod2.jpg

idle is 39C- full load is 46C
found it similar to the 8800gt with same cooler, staying passive.
the backside of oem card is hacked to what I had to do. the agp 2600 pro by visiontek is not exactly a screw up, but the heatsink by oem is classicly an idiot (and I am an not a pro to call it an idiot: the oem heatsink is truly INSANE)

More details include the use of 3mm aluminum studs for the accelero, spaced exactly the same with the nuts purchased along with studs, and fiber washer instead of the daintiness accelero shipped with (fiber washer proved to be important to keep the nut away from pcb). The rest is oem accelero.the four hole heatsinkers out there can use oem accelero no problems, My setup is ony two screws.

the backside was tinsnipped precisely, bent precisely, and I added some accelero heatsink "stuff" for the very hot chip not visible in photo, on top of the card.and used visionteks top side rubber spacers, and further ingenuity with leftover foam pieces to keep it importantly forgiving...

The only anomoly that was disturbing before knowing, was that my system temp would hit 118 and stay there for along time after heavy graphic use... so with cover off, I looked around, lo and behold the thermistor for my system temp is right behind the accelero (to the right near ich5 chip) next to the longest copper tube from the accelero passing rather close, even with accelero pastic piece still on it. (exactly a perfect oddity- what else is new) further verifying the entire accelero gets busy to keep such low temps. Shrugged off as no problems, and back to incredible gaming for this, my last agp system . (It already has 12000 hours on it before this card.)

Does this product void the 8800GT's warranties? Does it require an extra fan to be bought? I'm seriously considering this product.

Yes it will void your warranty. It doesn't require the second fan depending on other facts:

1. Air flow in your Case
2. Room Temps
3. How many Case fans you have

I bought the additional Turbo module but haven't used it yet. I have about 6 case fans in my tower and gpu Idles at 35c passively cooled.

Hmm I'd still recommend that people consider this move thoroughly before going ahead with this. I installed one on my BFG 8800GT OC2 and it overheated and now has at least some memory that is now bad. I can play some less graphics intensive games allright, but if I play Assassin's creed or Call of Duty 4 for more than 8 minutes my screen get full of red artefacts and the computer locks up. The Card broke on the first playing of Assassin's Creed minutes after I installed the Accelero heatsink.
I get 48 degrees under hours of AC

The Turbo Module and Noctua 120mm Fan I had ordered just came in.
I installed them and have been running Assassin's Creed for the last 30 min.
GPU temps hasn't exceeded 52c so far and I have seen no crash or memory artefacts.
I am crossing my fingers, maybe the card isn't dead as I thought.

I would still suggest to everyone to get the Turbo Module. I barely hear it anyway.

I can't speak for the 8800GT but my Asus HD3870 had VRM heatsinks preinstalled. Also you didn't bother to load test the card before just slapping it in and closing up the case and calling it a day?

Well I did'nt just slap it in and closed the case. I slapped it in and let the case open :)
The GPU sensors never got higher than 88 degrees.
What load test would you suggest ?

Also from what I read today, the red artefact/crash I got seem related to a specific problem with 8800GT's and the game Assassin's Creed. For some reason a LOT of people are having this issue that looks exactly like overheated video memory.

Thanks for the review on this. After reading the review I decided to get it for my 8800GT along with the turbo fans and I'm very happy. Much cooler and much quieter! :cool:

Dropped my idle temps for my BFG 8800GT OC in my antec 900 (with 120 mm side fan blowing across stock card) from 59-60c to 40-42c 10 minutes after starting up my machine. Keep in mind my 120 side fan had to be removed so I have only passive air intake into my case now. I'm honestly shocked at how well this thing works. I almost sprung for the $50 zalman but I'm soooo glad I did not!

Hardware canucks says it works on a 4870 and 4850.

hardware canucks said:
This little exercise has made it apparent that provided it has the proper amount of ramsinks and VRM sinks, ANY cooler compatible with the HD3870 series will also be compatible with the HD4870 and HD4850. We tried the Thermalright HR-03 GT, Thermaltake DuOrb, Coolink GFXChilla and Arctic Cooling S1 Rev.2 and every one of them fit without any problems at all. Beautiful, isn’t it?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...eon-hd4870-512mb-graphics-card-review-21.html

I saw a comment earlier about running SLI with these; you can do it without the flexi bridge and without bringing out the dremmel.

If you take your time you can actually take off the fins, (they are just held in place with pressure and TIM. Instal bridge, and replace fins, gives it a nice clean look and works wonders. With both of mine in place i get mid to high 30's idle; very happy with the outcome.

SLIcards.jpg

I must say that it wasn't easy at all for me to install the cooler on my Gigabyte Geforce 8800gt, due mainly to its enormous, unwieldy size.
I skipped adding those plastic L + T parts, because they just didn't fit in well at all. But, they seemed to be pulling on the fins, and moving the entire heatsink diagonally, instead of it being aligned with the card beneath it.
I also had a hard time fastening the screws diagonally like the instructions say. It was fairly easy doing it on my older Zalman vf-900cu because of its smaller, different shape, and the screws being larger and meant to be turned by hand.
The Accelero, on the other hand, felt too 'free floating' - until I had at least a couple of the screws tightened, but I had to tighten the screws to improve my grip on it, which of course led to an uneven turning of each individual screw.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that despite my less than adequate job at installing this enormous heatsink, it remains relatively cool.
Bear in mind that it is summer, I live in a hot country, and that my room is ever hotter due to its poor location.

The card came originally with a Zalman vf-830 cooler, which was terribly noisy to my liking. On its full speed:
Idle: 49-50C | Load: 65-67C

Swapping it for my trusty old vf-900, I was disappointed to get:
Idle: 47-50C | Load: 67-72C

With the Accelero and the turbo module, I'm getting:
Idle: 45-46C | Load: 55C

I'm yet to see it get to 56C outside of Furmark, but these temperatures are good enough for me.

So, a drop of about 12 degrees on load, compared to a Zalman heatsink.
It's much, much bigger, but also really quiet, even with the turbo module. A little too quiet, perhaps :)

Back