Arctic Accelero xtreme 7970 install and performance

Insanitic

n00b
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you has any experience with the Arctic Cooling Accelero extreme 7970 cooler. I have a sapphire 7950 950mhz edition card and am wondering if I can install the accelero on with the stock sapphire vrm and memory heatsinks that came with the card instead of using the heatsinks that Arctic provides. Is it possible? If so, how does the vrm and core cooling with the arctic accelero cooler match up to the stock Sapphire dual-x cooler? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

I just installed one last week on a MSI 7970. I was going from a reference cooler though. Huge improvement. Temps are half what they were.

That being said its no better than my XFX Double D BE 7950 however it is much quieter. I would recommend using a different glue than what they provide for the heat sinks. It sucks. I had to let it dry for over 24 hours and it was still tacky. None have fallen off but I wouldn't use it again.

I just installed one last week on a MSI 7970. I was going from a reference cooler though. Huge improvement. Temps are half what they were.

That being said its no better than my XFX Double D BE 7950 however it is much quieter. I would recommend using a different glue than what they provide for the heat sinks. It sucks. I had to let it dry for over 24 hours and it was still tacky. None have fallen off but I wouldn't use it again.

Reference MSI 7970 right?
Yah for the thermal glue, I was thinking of using arctic alumina instead of the glue provided.
So its actually no better than a xfx dd 7950? Even in the VRM temperatures?

Why don't you keep the stock heatplate/Sink on the card instead of installing the ones included with the arctic? I doubt temps will differ all that much and you can still keep you stock cooler if you ever have to warranty your card.

I have a MSI 7950 TF3 and was thinking of doing the same. The vrm and memory heatplate is pretty dang good.

Why don't you keep the stock heatplate/Sink on the card instead of installing the ones included with the arctic? I doubt temps will differ all that much and you can still keep you stock cooler if you ever have to warranty your card.

I have a MSI 7950 TF3 and was thinking of doing the same. The vrm and memory heatplate is pretty dang good.

Yeah I'm seriously considering that. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the accelero 7970 and how it stacks up to the Dual X cooler from Sapphire.

Back