Aquarium side panel, think it would be possable?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I just had a really funky idea of building a small fish tank onto the side panel of my case...would make a kick ass window. I woould put betas or goldfish or somethign in there, anythign that doesnt require alot of space and crap. I was thinking it wouldnt bo to hard to build a big glass rectangle for it, but heres the problems I keep coming up with...

1.) how would I incorperate some kind of opening for feeding and changing the water, yet not allow the panel to spill

2.) It would make it damn near impossable to relocate my PC, both because of being heavy and splashing

3.) could evaportaing water damage my parts?

4.) what kind of material could I use. I was thinking glass, but that woudl be heavy and hard to cut. I woult like to have an 80mm or 120mm hole in the side for a fan, so tehre is alot of cutting to do. Would acrylic be strong enough to contain water though?

any help woudl be great, this woudl be my frist modding project, and I think it would look bitchin. Maybe the mod doesnt seem worth it to others, but im a huge fish person, and think it would be cool. It woudl take a crapload of planning before I even got started, so any suggestions as to how I could make this easy and safe woudl rock.

Jmm alteady doing some quick measurements, I only have about an inch clearence from my side panel to the CD-rom bays. Taht coudl provide some interesting issues. I may just build the tank as deep as the hard drive bays, then cut out that eara and make it slimmer to fit across the CD-rom bays. Obviosly the fish couldnt get in there, but maybe I could get a slim filter and put it in there. Any suggestions there?

I just had another interesting idea. I am mulling over different ideas as to how I would create a spill proof door. I was orignal thinking a ton of latches, but that still leaves an edge to get though. another Idea I though of would be a vaccume seal, but woudl I pull that off without sucking all the air out of the case, and how woudl I get in unsealed again? What are some otherways? Is ther elike water resistant heat shrinking tape or something that could be removed and reapply daily?

Another idea I have would be to run the tank all the way up to the top of my case, and then find a permanent seal to attach it to the top of my case. I could then cut a hindged door on the top of my case so that I cna easly get in tehre for feeding and cleaning, yet if there were any spillts, it woudl be outside the case...think that could work?

Ive seen it online, not in person but it has been done, some people have taken the idea and used it for a lighting effect (with bubblers) others have used it as part of their WC settup, others have put in fish, if i find the links ill post them but i havent see them in years.

your going to want to take the side pannle off when your moving it, that simple, not just for the watter spilling but the pressure and the bumping around may ruin your seals. Id say make it air tight, and put a big screw top on it. you could put some trim around the top, and just screw down a plate, so the trim and the pressure make a seal, (and if your that worried, you can also tape it up after that.

if your realy worried you can silicon it down and then cut it off for feading and cleaning but i dont see that happening.

plexi will work, your going to have to get silicon that is for aquariums, many other kinds of silicon cauking have chemicals in them that are not good for animals to be around.

thats all i got for now, too bad there isnt an aquarium page any more, you would have gotten alot of help there, but im sure some more of us are still around that can help you, im gonna go look for those thinks but dont hold your breath.

Yeah, I have some aquarium sillcone. I moved about two years ago and had over 15 fish tanks to move. Some of the bigger ones I found it easir to take apart and put back together. I have all teh supplies to put it together, I am really worried about spilling and finding a material that I can easily cut that can hold back water. Plexiglass is a great idea, I am going to look into that...I still like the idea of having it come up through the top of the case, but that would make taking the side panel off tough, as it would be attached to the top of the case.I dont go in my case much, but that would make any upgrading a bitch.... I have a ton of drawings I am doing up. I will try to get my scanner workign so you can get an idea of what I am thinking

If you want to have fish in there for any length of time, not just flaoting corpses :eek: the top of the "tank" needs to be open to the atmosphere to allow gases to exchange with the water- ie the fish need oxygen to live and the oxygen in the water is absorbed from the atmosphere. just my 2c. :)

yea, you are correct. im thinking maybe making some kind of grill on the door, and then maybe have a clip or something I could put over it when i needed to move it....this is gunna get complicated, but it would produce some kick ass results, thanks for the help so far

Lian-Li has a similar set up (not real fish) Review Link HERE I know this is most likely not the same csae you have, but if you just wanted the look, I am sure you could buy this and cut it out of the side panel and put it in your side panel.
You may also be able to get ideas from that link,
good luck.

problem with that is, due to not having real fish, its comepletly sealed off. I need something I can easily acess daily for food and cleaning, that side panel however, is what gave me the idea.

A betta would be best for this, just make sure he can get to some air at the top and that there is as little vibration as possible for his tank. The temperature of the case will also warm the water, which bettas like -- just as long as it doesn't get too hot. They are sub-tropical fish, so 65-72 is ideal for them.

If you want a betta to match your case, try www.aquabid.com -- You'd be surprised at the colors, blacks ones especially.

Back