APU3 - pcengines

PaulTech

Weaksauce
Hello,

I have not yet seen APU being mentioned on the forums and figured I'd share a link to a product I've found incredibly useful.

http://www.pcengines.ch/apu3c2.htm

It has found uses in our environment as a network control plane for ASICs/FPGA's
Can be had in the ~100 USD range.

Let me know what you think or if you know of other such products!

PaulTech

Weaksauce
I run an APU2 with pfSense at home for a firewall.
Have seen that's a fairly popular choice for the box.
Talking to owner in hopes of replacing the i211AT ethernet with something a bit more powerful along with more standardized headers.

It's fantastic little box, We use it extensively for the easy to add LTE modems providing lights-out recovery to facilities.

acascianelli

Supreme [H]ardness
I only have a 100Mbit Comcast connection, so it's more than powerful enough to handle that. IIRC, the limit for these things seems to be about ~700Mbit connections.

I think when I built mine it only cost me like $175 total for the board, case, power supply and SSD.

IdiotInCharge

[H]F Junkie
Talking to owner in hopes of replacing the i211AT ethernet with something a bit more powerful along with more standardized headers.
What do you mean by this? I have a different box which has four of these and they seem rock solid; also have a few on an AIC in my server and one in my desktop as a second 1GbE.

PaulTech

Weaksauce
For home usage the I211-AT chipset would have no performance implications (950+mbit port to port has been tested).

However as you increase the forwarding/addresses table size the lookup do not scale due to the interrupt heavy chipset (Very little offload is available, checksuming mostly).
The use of MSI-X helps with this issue as it'll multi-queue interrupts against different cpus but does not compare to a chipset designed with routers in mind (Larger/dynamtic buffer, cut-through switching)

acascianelli

Supreme [H]ardness
Don't know if anybody else has noticed, but PCEngines released an APU4 now with 4xgigabit ports on the Intel i211 chip.

gigatexal

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello,

I have not yet seen APU being mentioned on the forums and figured I'd share a link to a product I've found incredibly useful.

http://www.pcengines.ch/apu3c2.htm

It has found uses in our environment as a network control plane for ASICs/FPGA's
Can be had in the ~100 USD range.

Let me know what you think or if you know of other such products!
Intel NICs and AES me want! Links?

acascianelli

Supreme [H]ardness
Still the same slow AMD APU though. Wish they'd update that...
I'm sure it'll get updated eventually. I am happy with the CPU performance of it still. For a entire board that only uses 8-12W of power it's great.

I need to get off my ass and re-learn how to setup VLAN's because I'm actually considering getting the newer APU2 just to have an extra LAN port.